2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

The Reds

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/05, 04:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by paint-boy@July 27, 2005, 11:49 AM
I just ran both color codes on my computer (I own a body shop)

Redfire (code G2)
Vehicles used on: All Ford
Crosstrainer: 05
Five Hundred: 05-06
Freestyle: 05-06
Fusion: 06
Mustang: 02-06

Torch Red (code D3)
Vehicles used on: All Ford
Ford GT: 05-06
Mondeo: 02
Mustang: 02-06
Thunderbird: 01-05

Also just some more information the factory "names" for the colors mean nothing.....we don't go by color names we go by the vehicle paint code. The different paint companies have different names for the colors (yes sometimes they are the same) but you don't assume it's the same color....because the name. Kinda follow along with that?? hope that helps
The Mustang didn't get Redfire until 2003, not 2002. I have an '02 GT and the color was then called Laser Red Tinted Clearcoat Metallic. It's the ONLY three-stage mustand color ever. Compared to Redfire, the Laser Red on my car is a little lighter and brighter - a much nicer color IMHO.

I don't think either of the current reds is ideal but I'm orderin Torch Red. Most of the mustang colors are just plain wrong...they're non-descript and b-o-r-i-n-g. The only "real" colors are black, Torch Red and screaming yellow. The rest of the colors would look just as good on your basic garden-variety Taurus.
Old 7/27/05, 04:53 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Some redfire and Zaino for you
Old 7/27/05, 06:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Lookin good Dan!

(now if they would only offer a Torch Red - type paint in metallic... )
Old 7/27/05, 11:10 PM

[quote=HBergeron,July 27, 2005, 9:40 AM]
Ok, I hate to start a new thread after just one post but I need to get this answer before my order goes in at the end of the week.

2) Is the Redfire the same maroon red that was available on the Taurus all those years? (it certainly looks the same)

I saw a Ford color chart last winter at an Auto Show and Redfire Metalic was used on several Ford vehicles. I don't know about the Tarus but I sure see a lot of Explorers in Redfire.
Old 7/28/05, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Found another beautiful picture of another beautiful redfire, in case anyone still cares about this thread.
Old 7/28/05, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

redfire is a beautiful color but to me torch red is more of a LOOK AT ME color. Its as with screamin yellow..when you drive it down the road people will see you coming miles away. It just depends on what feel you are wanting to go for as beautiful as redfire is, it doesn't say red sports car to me. just my .02...but that doesn't mean much, they are both beautiful colors and people will be breakin their necks to see both of them.
Old 7/28/05, 03:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by HorsC@July 28, 2005, 2:58 PM
redfire is a beautiful color but to me torch red is more of a LOOK AT ME color. Its as with screamin yellow..when you drive it down the road people will see you coming miles away. It just depends on what feel you are wanting to go for as beautiful as redfire is, it doesn't say red sports car to me. just my .02...but that doesn't mean much, they are both beautiful colors and people will be breakin their necks to see both of them.
Far as torch red metalic, Mine is in the paint shop, being done with a pearl gold mixed in the clear and shot over the torch red. In certain angles my car will have a gold cast color , an optical allusion,unless I change my mind! How long do you have to wait after car is painted? to put the zaino on? I've never used zaino before and I'm wanting to try it out.Oh yea! redfire is a beutiful color, But the torch red just sets the 05 off, gives it the old look.
Old 7/28/05, 04:11 PM

good point about the "old look" with the non-metallic paint - too bad they didn't use one of the original reds (like the darker OEM '65 red) to truly get the "old look"

Thanks for all the replies, I've been buried, I'll reply when I have a chance. Paint-boy - thanks, I did know how paint codes worked, very happy that someone here had access to them. You wouldn't happen to have the constituent pigments that make up each to these reds would you? Nice custom paint BTW.
Old 7/29/05, 08:26 AM
GT Member

HBergeron,

no problem for showing you the information. I could list out each "toner" color used to mix each color. But it will be slightly different for each paint company. I use Martin Senour Paints. If you would like to know what toners go in the colors....let me know and I'll list them for you.
Old 7/29/05, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by paint-boy@July 29, 2005, 9:29 AM
HBergeron,

no problem for showing you the information. I could list out each "toner" color used to mix each color. But it will be slightly different for each paint company. I use Martin Senour Paints. If you would like to know what toners go in the colors....let me know and I'll list them for you.

Yes, the toners would be great - I'd like to get a sense of the constituent pigments of each, it will give me a much better sense of how the color will change with age. As the pictures posted here have show TR can look either very orange or dard red depending upon the light, angle, etc, and the RF can take on a slight candy apple cast if shined up sufficently. I now have until next Wednesday to make a final color choice and I am still on the fence. (of course, if I put gold stripes on a RF I'll have a great niners fan car - something to consider )
Old 7/29/05, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Your in DC and want a "niners fan car"? This world never ceases to amaze me
Old 7/29/05, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by 05stangster@July 29, 2005, 11:57 AM
Your in DC and want a "niners fan car"? This world never ceases to amaze me
:clown:

Grew up in the bay area, first season as a football fan was the last 2-14 year they had (well, up until last year......) Met Joe Montana a few weeks after he came to the team at a workout. My Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame program with Montana and Walsh's signatures is a prized possession.

You know, this may be the first time it annoyed me that someone questioned my rooting for the niners from outside the bay area - give it a rest, they're not winning anymore. Just becuase they regularly crushed your favorite team for the better part of two decades doesn't mean you have to be bitter
Old 7/29/05, 11:52 AM
GT Member

HBergeron

This is the formula for 1 pint sprayable:
*UHS stands for Ultra High Strength*
*HS stands for High Strength*
*numbers are grams*

Torch Red (D3)

UHS Red 205.1
HS Violet 10.9
White 7.7
Black 2.0
Reducer 198.9

Redfire (G2)

Clear Binder 44.6
Copper Pearl 7.6
Radiance Red Mica 4.3
Orange Pearl 3.0
Brilliant Red 123.1
UHS Magenta 24.7
Scarlet Red 16.6
UHS Blue 4.3
White 2.3
Reducer 198.9
Old 7/29/05, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

James. Torch red with a gold clearcoat? :worship: That sounds awesome. You have got to post pictures when you get this back from the painter.
Old 7/29/05, 12:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by HBergeron@July 29, 2005, 11:42 AM
:clown:

Grew up in the bay area, first season as a football fan was the last 2-14 year they had (well, up until last year......) Met Joe Montana a few weeks after he came to the team at a workout. My Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame program with Montana and Walsh's signatures is a prized possession.

You know, this may be the first time it annoyed me that someone questioned my rooting for the niners from outside the bay area - give it a rest, they're not winning anymore. Just becuase they regularly crushed your favorite team for the better part of two decades doesn't mean you have to be bitter
:nono: Easy now, no flames required. You have absolutely no need to be annoyed First of all, I did not say anything negative against the niners and I am not bitter at their dominance for 2 decades (plus I used a smiley face to boot). It just surprised me that someone in DC would be a niners fan (Redskin fans are pretty hard core as well). I happen to like the niners and think Montana was and is the greatest quarterback that ever played the game. No one has been able to read and pick apart a defense like him! The niners have a lot of work ahead of them, no doubt, but eventually they will get it back together again. And as far as my favorite teams (now you can flame me and it's ok ) I like the Rams, 49rs then the Dolphins - in that order. I picked the Rams when I was like 7 b/c I like the uniforms and the Youngblood brothers. So you want to talk about being bitter - they left and went to St. Louis

Anyhow, it's all good
Old 7/29/05, 12:32 PM

Fair enough - I have to admit I just really like the little flamethrower guy. That and being a niners fan is really sort of depressing since Eddie went on the lam.

But, for a moment here - The RAMS and the DOLPHINS?!? Man you've got some bad football Karma coming to you. But I'll give you Jack Youngblood - one of the greatest DEs ever to play the game - the man played two games with a broken leg - :worship: - that is why no other sport compares.
Old 7/29/05, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by paint-boy@July 29, 2005, 12:55 PM
HBergeron

This is the formula for 1 pint sprayable:
*UHS stands for Ultra High Strength*
*HS stands for High Strength*
*numbers are grams*

Torch Red (D3)

UHS Red 205.1
HS Violet 10.9
White 7.7
Black 2.0
Reducer 198.9

Redfire (G2)

Clear Binder 44.6
Copper Pearl 7.6
Radiance Red Mica 4.3
Orange Pearl 3.0
Brilliant Red 123.1
UHS Magenta 24.7
Scarlet Red 16.6
UHS Blue 4.3
White 2.3
Reducer 198.9

Thank you very much, I'm going to go over to a media firm over the weekend and play with these colors - I can attenuate them using some of the design software - From the looks of it the orange in the TR is based in the red tint itself, as neither violet or white should do that - too bad they didn't increase the black by about 10x - that might have looked just right. No wonder why RF can look like so many different colors - that is an interesting witches brew.
Old 7/29/05, 02:01 PM
Cobra Member

Is the old lazer red they used to put on Mustangs back in the mid-90's the same as redfire? They look similar to me, but I have never seen them side-by-side.
Old 7/29/05, 03:35 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@July 29, 2005, 4:04 PM
Is the old lazer red they used to put on Mustangs back in the mid-90's the same as redfire? They look similar to me, but I have never seen them side-by-side.
Yes, they are very similar. Laser Red was an AWESOME colour. It was a bit brighter than Redfire though but closer to it than Torch.
Old 7/29/05, 04:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Dan@July 29, 2005, 3:38 PM
Yes, they are very similar. Laser Red was an AWESOME colour. It was a bit brighter than Redfire though but closer to it than Torch.
I think the truest red that I have seen on mustangs in awhile was the Rio Red they put on the mid-90's stangs. It seemed to be just a true red...no orange, no metallic, not dark.....just very......red!

Quick Reply: The Reds