2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

The Reds

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/05, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I hate to start a new thread after just one post but I need to get this answer before my order goes in at the end of the week.

1) Is the red being shown on the Cobra the same as the Torch Red available on the current car?

2) Is the Redfire the same maroon red that was available on the Taurus all those years? (it certainly looks the same)

I have always been one for red convertibles with red interiors, my first being a '64 cutlass, but I can't say I'm knocked out by either available red. The Torch Red is an extremely orange red, particularly in bright sunlight; while the Redfire is more maroon/burgundy then it is a dark candy apple. I need to make a final decision, thought I had decided on the Redfire until I spent time with a Torch Red in the evening, under street lights it looks much richer, less orangey.

Any thoughts on the choices here? How do these colors age (ie. does Torch Red get even more orange?) And why couldn't Ford offer the bright red and deep red that were available on the '65? Heck, why can't they have a real red like the Porsche "Guards Red" or even good old Candy Apple? The lime and windveil are great retro colors, but neither can be had with a red interior.
Old 7/27/05, 09:02 AM
Cobra Member

last I heard the color on the GT500 was called (I think) "SVT red," different than torch. I couldn't help you with the taurus question but if they were both called redfire I would guess they were the same
Old 7/27/05, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

I can't answer your questions specifically, but I can give you my thoughts on the TR v. RF question.

First, the Redfire reminded me of my '90 chevy corsica LTZ, my first car. I could definitely see how it would remind you of a color on a more mundane car like a taurus.

In person, though, the color really is beautiful, and I doubt - but am not positive - that its the same as the color on any other ford car. The great thing about the redfire is that it looks 100 different colors in 100 different lights, all of them beautiful. The metallic paint is really just exceptional - it has such depth and character, particularly if you wax/polish it. It can look very dark, almost maroon, to even a kind-of cool red-pink color.

On the other hand, I find the TR very very flat and boring. Like you said, it's too orangy. It has no character, IMHO - looks the same from every angle.

I, too, would like to see a really nice cherry or candy apple red, but I have to tell you that, as a red car fan myself, I am very very pleased with the redfire. It really is beautiful.

Edit: BTW - click on the link to my photos below. They're not great quality, but they do show a little bit of the color in different lights.
Old 7/27/05, 09:32 AM
Cobra Member

i know i am going to get alot of flack for this one....out of the two reds my feel for them is redfire looks really rich looking...well a few weeks ago i was down in alantic city at trump...they were giving away 5 mustang verts... all torch red...i felt that the color really made the car look like a big model..cheap with a plastic look to it...my father who was with me felt the same..i better put my fire suit on after this post....
Old 7/27/05, 09:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

The redifre is the same color as the metallic red that's been on the explorer for the last couple of years. I love it, especially with ICAP.
Old 7/27/05, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

I have Torch Red with the Red leather, tinted window and love it. I was lined up to order the Redfire until I saw the Torch Red with red leather in the show room. I was sold, am still sold on the color and (from the public) have had nothing but extatic compliments. I love my Torch Red GT
Old 7/27/05, 09:54 AM

Great, these are very helpful observations - didn't really think that anyone knew the color codes for old taurus (tauri?) but they definately had a maroon one.

I'd love a few more thoughts - but I just wanted to say, I didn't start this thread to start a color war - there are definately things to recommend both colors - after all with Torch Red you are buying the RED car - never anything wrong with that; and with Redfire you are getting a metallic red - always interesting. I hope no one takes opinions here as denigrating their particular choice of red.

Heck, orange can even been a good color - the Orange on the new charger is downright hot (hope that doesn't get me boo'd out of here) and Burgundy can be very cool on a luxury car - it's just when of want a RED muscle car, I want RED (not really mad, just a nice shade of red)
Old 7/27/05, 11:01 AM
V6 Member

My wife picked out the colors for our Torch Red GT vert w/ICAP. I liked the Redfire myself, but she had the final say. What can I say? Girls love red cars, and we get tons or compliments and "thumbs up" with this car. I have to say that after a thorough cleaning and a Zaino treatment, the Torch Red looks much better than when I received it from the dealer.
Old 7/27/05, 11:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

I think some of the Torch Red photos are a little deceiving (mine included). Taking pictures of Torch Red in direct sunlight does make the paint look more "orangy" - but even in direct sunlight, in person, the paint doesn't have that "orange" look.

Redfire definitely has more depth to it (I would hope so - it's metallic, where Torch Red is not).

Your best bet would be to head to a dealer and see each color in person, and make your decision based on that.

IMO both colors look great - it's all a matter of personal preference. By my signature, you can tell that I'm a little biased towards Torch though. I agree with the Zaino comment above - after a good polish, Torch Red looks amazing.
Old 7/27/05, 11:46 AM
GT Member

I just ran both color codes on my computer (I own a body shop)

Redfire (code G2)
Vehicles used on: All Ford
Crosstrainer: 05
Five Hundred: 05-06
Freestyle: 05-06
Fusion: 06
Mustang: 02-06

Torch Red (code D3)
Vehicles used on: All Ford
Ford GT: 05-06
Mondeo: 02
Mustang: 02-06
Thunderbird: 01-05

Also just some more information the factory "names" for the colors mean nothing.....we don't go by color names we go by the vehicle paint code. The different paint companies have different names for the colors (yes sometimes they are the same) but you don't assume it's the same color....because the name. Kinda follow along with that?? hope that helps
Old 7/27/05, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

As in "Torch Red" is the exact same as "Colorado Red".
Old 7/27/05, 12:11 PM
GT Member

Exactly!!
Old 7/27/05, 01:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 05stangster@July 27, 2005, 8:45 AM
I have Torch Red with the Red leather, tinted window and love it. I was lined up to order the Redfire until I saw the Torch Red with red leather in the show room. I was sold, am still sold on the color and (from the public) have had nothing but extatic compliments. I love my Torch Red GT

AMEN!
Old 7/27/05, 01:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

The more coats of Zaino's, the less orange appearance ...
Old 7/27/05, 01:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Look ...
Old 7/27/05, 01:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yep, the torch red looks better with Zaino. Found another good picture of such a thing I'm attaching below.

However, it just doesn't compare to the redfire with zaino.

After checking out the TR/zaino pictures, click the links (which I'm pasting from an old thread in the Exterior Mods section). OMG...

Originally posted by Defiant@June 26, 2005, 8:09 PM
Hey folks

Got my louvers in the mail the other day and just now tonight finally had a chance to snap a few pics:
http://www.terrence-mann.com/mustang/louvers1.jpg
http://www.terrence-mann.com/mustang/louvers2.jpg
http://www.terrence-mann.com/mustang/newsideview.jpg
http://www.terrence-mann.com/mustang/3-4view.jpg
http://www.terrence-mann.com/mustang/backview.jpg

You can see how they look a tad goofy from the back, but overall I'm happy with the look.

--=K
Old 7/27/05, 01:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

I looked at several before I decided on Redfire. IMO and I agree with others that have said it has a richness to it. It stands alone well, I think Redfire needs stripes to break the red. I have 2 coats of Zaino on mine and it is beutiful. BTW I was a Zaino non-believer till I tried it. This stuff is dynamite.
Old 7/27/05, 02:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Eleanor Dreaming@July 27, 2005, 1:45 PM
I looked at several before I decided on Redfire. IMO and I agree with others that have said it has a richness to it. It stands alone well, I think Redfire needs stripes to break the red. I have 2 coats of Zaino on mine and it is beutiful. BTW I was a Zaino non-believer till I tried it. This stuff is dynamite.
2 coats of Zaino on my Redfire as well. The stuff is just amazing. As for the stripes, I've thought about black with comparable metallic chips to the redfire. I'm betting it would look great.
Old 7/27/05, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I have seen the Redfire with the Black Stripes - absolutely beautiful.
Old 7/27/05, 03:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Take a look at the torch red registry link in my signature, there are some good examples and galleries.

Quick Reply: The Reds