Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/13, 09:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Speakers

Sorry if this has been posted already somewhere.

So I'm pretty sure I blew a rear speaker. I was listening to a song with a lot of bass fairly loudly, not that loud but heres the thing...I went to turn down my radio but instead of turning it down, I accidentally turned it up all the way up. So now all I hear is rattling in the back. Any suggestions and/or help would be great! Thanks.
Old 3/12/13, 09:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replace the speaker(s). On the 2006 I believe you can get to the screws that hold the speaker from inside the trunk. Should be easy to replace.

Last edited by D'prived; 3/12/13 at 09:30 AM.
Old 3/12/13, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thats nice, had to rip the whole rear deck apart to get them out of my 05 lol. I dont know how much the stock ones run but I would just upgrade them both so it doesnt happen again....Mine crapped out with moderate listening. They sound alright, but cant take much of a beating.
Old 3/12/13, 09:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by D'prived
Replace the speaker(s). On the 2006 I believe you can get to the screws that hold the speaker from inside the trunk. Should be easy to replace.
On my 06 they're torqx screws that screw in from the top. BUT, you dont have to take the whole rear deck out. The plastic speaker grilles pop out which gives you easy access. Easy being a relative term because the steep rake of the glass makes the rear screws hard to get to.
Old 3/12/13, 09:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cavero
On my 06 they're torqx screws that screw in from the top. BUT, you dont have to take the whole rear deck out. The plastic speaker grilles pop out which gives you easy access. Easy being a relative term because the steep rake of the glass makes the rear screws hard to get to.
So that top grille pops off? How hard is it? I tried popping it off today but had a hard time prying at it. I don't want to break them. What size torqx screw is it?

What are your preferences for new speakers? Would they be plug in and play?
Old 3/12/13, 10:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't remember exactly what size Torx it was, 20 maybe. It's a pain to get to the rear most screws because of the angle of the window, like Cavero said. I upgraded to KS68s, huge upgrade in sound quality. They was a direct swap, can't remember if I had to cut and splice the wires anymore, but I do remember it being very easy.

Heres a link to the speakers I used, good idea to upgrade the door ones as well.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...cker_KS68.aspx
Old 3/13/13, 05:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
I can't remember what size torqx it was either. Somewhere around T15 to T25.
--EDIT--
Just checked the "master sheet" (instructions) that crutchfield included with the speakers, and it is in fact T20. 10 pts to Chuck
----

When I ordered my speakers from Crutchfield, they included these for free, so it was plug n' play:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207104...Harnesses.html

The speaker grilles can be tricky, but it shouldn't take a ton of effort to pop them out. If you have a plastic interior trim pry tool, i would use that over a screwdriver. Push the retainer tabs away from you and lift up (they are towards the corners if I remember right).

As for the speaker of choice, when I upgraded the front speakers to components, I moved my Pioneer 4-ways that I had in the doors to the rear shelf. But its kind of a waste because of the acoustics. The rear speakers are only really good for bass and filling the back half of the car with sound. So anything more than two-way won't do much for you.

I've seen component speaker setups in the rear before (someone on this forum posted one), which would be a great setup --you could have the superior bass of a single cone in the rear shelf and then mount the tweeters in the plastic panels near the seats to project the highs out (and they come with the crossovers so the right frequencies go to the right speaker) -- if you had the money and wanted to drill holes in your trim panels.

Last edited by Cavero; 3/13/13 at 05:14 AM.