2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Rear seat space

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/04, 01:20 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevin brings up a couple good points I forgot to mention. Although legroom seemed to be adequate, the headroom is a bit tight when the rear-seat passengers lean back in the seat. You have to lean up a bit, or crouch down in the seat. And also, it isn't the easiest thing to get into the back seat. The way I see it though... it's a sports car. It's not supposed to have a lot of room back there. And anyone sitting back there shouldn't complain... they are riding in a Mustang after all.
Old 11/16/04, 01:22 PM
FR500 Member

i cant find any good pix i have but anyone 6 ft of above would most likely be in front lol
Old 11/16/04, 01:24 PM
FR500 Member

acadain brings up a great point.....its not a family car....and plus i wouldnt want a car that has alotta room...therefor limiting rides to unwatned passengers thats the difference between having a sports car or a sedan(some which people majorly rice out *COUGH* civics)
Old 11/16/04, 01:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@November 16, 2004, 11:28 AM
Its definatly for non-paying customers. Other then the headroom being a little tight, its not THAT bad for a sports coupe. You do have to manipulate the seats quite a bit to shoehorn someone back there though.
Okay Ronnie, here's the deal (PIC)......IMO, this is a 2-seat car that happens to have 4 seats (if you wanna call them that). I am 6'2", and I moved the seat forward enough that this is as far forward as I could go and still be able to drive with somewhat comfort. If a person is going to regularly have passengers in back, then they should be shopping for a 4-door sedan. B) Keep in mind when viewing this pic that I am 6'2", and also the seat back is straight up and down, and this isn't going to be ultra comfortable for the driver either. This car would suffice for once in a while rear passengers, but it's not for an everyday cargo of more than 2 (driver/shotgun) IMO.
Old 11/16/04, 01:45 PM
FR500 Member

NICE PIC!!!!!!!
Old 11/16/04, 01:46 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do all of the new stangs have the level at the back of the seat like in that pic? I know originally it was going to be on the side but this is the first pic I have seen it near the top (where it should).
Old 11/16/04, 01:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Giddyup+November 16, 2004, 2:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Giddyup @ November 16, 2004, 2:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kevinb120@November 16, 2004, 11:28 AM
Its definatly for non-paying customers. Other then the headroom being a little tight, its not THAT bad for a sports coupe. You do have to manipulate the seats quite a bit to shoehorn someone back there though.
Okay Ronnie, here's the deal (PIC)......IMO, this is a 2-seat car that happens to have 4 seats (if you wanna call them that). I am 6'2", and I moved the seat forward enough that this is as far forward as I could go and still be able to drive with somewhat comfort. If a person is going to regularly have passengers in back, then they should be shopping for a 4-door sedan. B) Keep in mind when viewing this pic that I am 6'2", and also the seat back is straight up and down, and this isn't going to be ultra comfortable for the driver either. This car would suffice for once in a while rear passengers, but it's not for an everyday cargo of more than 2 (driver/shotgun) IMO. [/b][/quote]
Thanks Giddyup.

That looks like it will work just fine. Like I say, in my 02, its usually just my wife and I. Its just those stupid situations, where you have to drop a couple people off at the airport, go for lunch with 2 other people, that sort of thing. Their confort isn't my concern. As long as I can wedge them back there, thats all that matters to me. From the pics, it looks like it should be just fine; at very least, no worse than my 02.

Thanks again.
Old 11/16/04, 02:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by adrenalin@November 16, 2004, 2:49 PM
Do all of the new stangs have the level at the back of the seat like in that pic? I know originally it was going to be on the side but this is the first pic I have seen it near the top (where it should).
I think that is only the case when there are side air bags. Don't hold me to that though.
Old 11/16/04, 02:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Kluski+November 16, 2004, 1:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kluski @ November 16, 2004, 1:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-adrenalin@November 16, 2004, 2:49 PM
I think that is only the case when there are side air bags. Don't hold me to that though. [/b][/quote]
I'm going back to the Ford store today. They have 3 Mustangs, so I will check all of them to see where it is place on a non-airbag (side), if they have one....
Old 11/16/04, 03:13 PM
GT Member

While people are taking pics, could someone with kids throw a carseat in the back. I have a 2 year old and my wifes only argument about getting an 05 is not being able to fit him back there. Been able to shoot down any other objections thanks to this site

I agree that it is a 2 person car, with four seats. I think a car seat for a child would cause several problems. The seat is deep, and while that helps for the leg room I think the car seat would not be stable. Secondly, getting the kid in and out would be destroy your back for your later years of pain free fun with the kids. Sorry, I'm on the other side of the young kids - - and just looking at it practically. Definitely, this spells third car - if you have young kids.
Old 11/16/04, 03:21 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Kluski+November 16, 2004, 3:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kluski @ November 16, 2004, 3:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-adrenalin@November 16, 2004, 2:49 PM
I think that is only the case when there are side air bags. Don't hold me to that though. [/b][/quote]
Correct.

Edit: Sorry... just read that back. The lever is at the top if you do NOT have side air bags. Mine are up at the top/back like in that pic and I have no side airbags. I believe that they are down below if you get the side airbags.
Old 11/16/04, 03:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
Remember, the headroom issue is easy to solve. . .

Go vert!
Old 11/16/04, 03:50 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm 5'5", 140. The only space issue I have is being able to push the clutch all the way in. The tall guy gets to sit behind me! I sat in the back seat and thought is was very comfortable. The quarter window helps from feeling claustrophobic too. IMO
Old 11/16/04, 04:20 PM
Bullitt Member

QUOTE (adrenalin @ November 16, 2004, 2:49 PM)

I think that is only the case when there are side air bags. Don't hold me to that though.

I have the GT premium with no side airbags, and the lever is at the top backside if the seat as the picture shows. My Wife just got a V-6 premium, leather seats with the side airbags, and hers is the same location as mine without the airbags.
Old 11/16/04, 04:36 PM
Cobra R Member

I am 6 ft tall and 220 pds. I sat in the back to get the feel and just hated the back seat. Lucky for me I drive the thing in total comfort from the front. If you are taller than 5'10'' then you may want to curl up in the more spacious trunk with the back seat portions lowered!
Old 11/16/04, 07:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by lwing18@November 16, 2004, 4:16 PM
While people are taking pics, could someone with kids throw a carseat in the back. I have a 2 year old and my wifes only argument about getting an 05 is not being able to fit him back there. Been able to shoot down any other objections thanks to this site

I agree that it is a 2 person car, with four seats. I think a car seat for a child would cause several problems. The seat is deep, and while that helps for the leg room I think the car seat would not be stable. Secondly, getting the kid in and out would be destroy your back for your later years of pain free fun with the kids. Sorry, I'm on the other side of the young kids - - and just looking at it practically. Definitely, this spells third car - if you have young kids.
This isn't going to be a primary mode of transportation for the kid. I agree with everyone else that this is a sports car and should be treated as such. Trust me, I have no desire to clean Goldfish crackers out of the back seat. I have an Explorer and Galant for that. I just need to show that it can be done.
Old 11/16/04, 08:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by CANES fan@November 16, 2004, 9:29 AM
Hi there Canes..... might I suggest taking your wife and 2-yr old + car seat down to your local Ford dealer and experience first hand? Like the 'Nike' slogan....."Just Do It" B)
Old 11/16/04, 08:55 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Paris MkVI@November 16, 2004, 4:50 PM
Remember, the headroom issue is easy to solve. . .

Go vert!
Joking aside, going by the pictures, I think there may be an inch or two more headroom in the back of the vert when the top is up.
Old 11/17/04, 06:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Giddyup+November 16, 2004, 9:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Giddyup @ November 16, 2004, 9:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-CANES fan@November 16, 2004, 9:29 AM
Hi there Canes..... might I suggest taking your wife and 2-yr old + car seat down to your local Ford dealer and experience first hand? Like the 'Nike' slogan....."Just Do It" B)[/b][/quote]
Guess I'll do that. Was trying to avoid doing that though so I don't have to worry about some dealer telling me he needs to do a credit check on me before I can put a car seat in the back :stubborn:
Old 11/17/04, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

IMO the backseats in the Mustang are for show purposes only.

Quick Reply: Rear seat space