2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Rear Quarter Window replaced

Search this Thread

Old 9/7/06, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Quarter Window replaced

In another post I mentioned how my new Stang had one corner (lower forward end) of the passenger rear quarter window jutting out (a little more than an 1/8 of an inch) and very noticeable when looking down the side. I wanted the dealership to take care of it under warranty...however, they told me that they would pry the window from the outside (i.e. try to cut the urethane from the outside)...invariably it would also mean that they would damage the body paint in the window frame. I saw evidence of this on another new ly purchased '06 Redfire GT they worked on...after pulling the rear quarter window on that Redfire they had to repaint most of this guy's rear quarter panel (they had scratched numerous areas around the window frame).

I told them that I went to an excellent window installer (whom the dealer does use on occasion) and they recommended breaking the glass and replacing it. The dealership would not budge from their stand that they should try to "save" the glass (they said that the Ford Regional Manager told them that they should try to save the glass)...they didn't care about re-painting because they would just have the dealership bodyshop re-paint the car. I therefore opted to go with the window installer's method (i.e. break and replace). I took the Stang in this morning and within an hour I had new rear quarter window (FORD Carlite OEM) fitting perfectly the way it should have come from the factory. The installer was careful to tape off the glass, the area around the window and body with some sheets. After breaking the glass...we found that a tube of the urethane on the assembly line must have reached its end because there was a big glob of urethane sitting in the lower forward corner part of the window frame and that's what was causing the window to bulge out.
I am now pleased with the work and window looks great! All this for $289 (including labor), it was well worth it. I'm glad I didn't go with the dealership's method. Now, it's a smooth look down the side looking at the rear quarter window from the front, instead of an "air brake" look.
Old 9/7/06, 08:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good thing you were able to fix it with no paint work.
Old 9/7/06, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Rich, thanks...I was definitely relieved about that...didn't need a new paint job on a new car..
BTW, noticed you're from CT...I'm originally from Middletown. I sure do miss the fall (and foliage) up there.

Take good care.
Old 9/10/06, 07:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mark S.
Rich, thanks...I was definitely relieved about that...didn't need a new paint job on a new car..
BTW, noticed you're from CT...I'm originally from Middletown. I sure do miss the fall (and foliage) up there.

Take good care.
Dont miss it too much lol..leaves falling getting all over the car . I worked in the Westlake area in Middletown for a couple of years.
-Rich
Old 9/12/06, 05:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Rich, that's true...I could never keep my cars up nice the way I can down here...I also couldn't imagine driving them again in the snow, ice (and that nasty salt/chemicals)...we get a little bit of that...maybe a 5 days in all.

Westlake wasn't there when I left back in '77, but my home was only about 2 miles from there...
Old 9/17/06, 08:24 PM
GT Member

Mark,

Good job. I knew if you found a good body shop they could do it. Never listen to a dealership, that's what I'm starting to learn from these threads. I'll grant there're probably a few honest ones out there who truly care for custiomer service, but I'm convinced that at best they are few and far between. Glad to hear it worked out for you.
Old 9/23/06, 08:25 AM

I've got the same problem in the same exact area as yours. It wasn't as noticable as yours...until i installed my Roush Window Louvers yesterday. Now the lower front area doesn't sit flush on the body. I took it to the dealership and they gave me the same song and dance. I may just have to go with there method because they already want to charge me $150 just to reinstall that ONE louver. Seems kind of high but don't really have another choice...money's kinda tight right now
Old 9/23/06, 09:30 AM
V6 Member

Where did you buy the replacement glass? How much did just the glass cost?
Old 9/23/06, 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Pete, let me know how it turns out...the window installer did a pretty good job (breaking and installing)...he did leave a little bit more of a gap on the longest vertical side next to the "B" Pillar (more than the factory side)...it was about a 1/16th of an inch more (not really noticeable unless I point it out to you ...but at least the window no longer sticks out...check out the attached pics... the factory window has "pins" attached to it to allow the "robot" to guide into place...whereas the installer basically had to "eyeball" the new OEM glass, without any pins, into place...remember once the glass makes contact with the urethane it's pretty hard to make any adjustments...

Matt, the window installer ordered the OEM glass from a dealer...
Attached Thumbnails Rear Quarter Window replaced-right-r-qtr-window-cropped-.jpg  
Attached Images