2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Really bad belt squeal! HELP 4.0 v6

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/12, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really bad belt squeal! HELP 4.0 v6

Alright so my harmonic balancer fell apart. I replaced it but had no idea how to torque it. So I followed some steeda instructions saying to 66 lbs then loosen one full turn, then 37 lbs. then after torque an extra 90 degrees. I tried using an installer but the tools were too short. Then after I replaced my belt off the warranty because it squealed bad. well the next day i threw a code out and the squeal came back. I checked it out and it said random cylinder misfire, 3rd cylinder misfire, and crank sensor. So I took the bolt off and retightened it to 90 lbs, put some thread lock, and then I torqued it another like 120 degrees. The thing is on there. So I cleared the code and it hasn't come back up. but later on, sure enough the squeal came back. maybe like 20 miles later. So the next day I go to autozone to see if they have another installer I can try, but nope. So i replaced the idler puller and turned it back on. Then I noticed the belt tensioner was hopping up and down. So I looked at the harmonic balancer again to see how it was spinning. I saw it wobbling a lot (yes I did line the teeth up). But then i turned it off and noticed the new balancer's face was all rubber, and realized it wasn't symmetrical. Then I turned it back on to look it at. Sure enough it wasn't wobbling at all from the metallic side on the back or anything. Just the rubber face. So then I remembered that a month ago i replaced the tensioner because I thought the squeaky chirp that ended up being the balancer was the alternator pulley. So I put the old one back on and instantly the noise and hopping were gone. So then I took the belt off and had them replace it on warranty again since I probably ruined it. So I drive the whole day with no squeak or squeal and I'm really happy. But later on it starts raining and as soon as I turn the car on, it's back. I drive like 50 miles to school everyday, and it's been a little damp around 60 degrees outside. But as soon as I drove on the freeway for like 15 minutes the squeal went away. Then I get off the freeway and stop at lights and rev it and nothing. But after driving on slower roads for a while it comes back. It's definitely a belt squeal. I thought maybe it was because I also replaced the thermostat housing since it was leaking. I thought maybe there was still some coolant on the block and it was turning to vapor, but nope. It's all clean now. Here's a thing to note, It might just be in my head or being used to driving my girlfriend's car after my car died, but I feel like the power steering is a little more hard. Also another note the old idler pulley had already been replaced and i noticed rubber had rubbed off onto the outer edge of the old idler pulley. and it's dark now but the engine doesn't feel like vapor is coming out anymore like it used to. Also the auto zone guy put a little 10w 30 on the belt before i replaced it again. I've driven about 200 miles since the last time i torqued it and the code hasn't come back at all. The balancer is also definitely lined up on the hub.
HELPPPPP!!!
Old 1/31/12, 11:56 PM

also the stock tensioner was way harder to push down on than the new one.
Old 2/1/12, 10:12 AM

It's also a dayco belt