2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Rain/Snow etc...

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/07, 08:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rain/Snow etc...

Just wondering, the East just got with a mediocre snow storm and I was coming up with my Dodge Neon (awd) and I noticed this guy next to me had a mustang v6 and he was slipping and sliding everywhere so here's my question...

How does the mustang handle in wet and slippery conditions? I prefer some answers from people who use their Mustang as a daily driver but I am open to everyone's thoughts. The reason I say this is because more than likely the 'Stang will be my daily driver and I don't want to be vulnerable to fish-tailing at low speeds etc.
Old 3/16/07, 09:08 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
V6 only has TC as an option unless it is an '06 pony pkg.
I drive a Ranger RWD in the snow all the time with no TC.
I've been driving in the snow for over 30 years.
I have no problem and the rear end is lighter than the Stang.
I do put some weight in the back, but I don't snow tires (they are all season).
I all depends on the driver though.
I saw the 4x4's were a slippin' an a slidin' around me in the snow today.
Old 3/16/07, 09:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drove mine through the winter here in Missouri and as long as you don't think it is a 4WD vehicle, it is no worse than any other rear wheeled drive vehicle. With the traction control on, it keeps slides/spinning to a minimum. There were a couple of days it stayed in the "barn" because I live fairly remote area, but once it was able to get on plowed roads, it did fine.

Just need to use common sense and experience when driving IMO.
Old 3/16/07, 09:09 PM
Cobra Member

Get snow tires, plain and simple. I drove a 600HP Camaro as a daily driver through many snow storms here in the Mid-Atlantic with zero issues thanks to my Bridgestone Blizzaks. I put them on ALL of my cars whether front drive, rear drive or all wheel drive. They'll be money well spent. Trust me!
Old 3/16/07, 09:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I have heard Pirelli's are really good for year round driving...
Old 3/16/07, 09:33 PM
GT Member

The '07 V6s w/the pony pkg. too

Originally Posted by karman
V6 only has TC as an option unless it is an '06 pony pkg.
Old 3/16/07, 09:33 PM
GT Member

Sure ... but only if you're in California

Originally Posted by CrazyGreek89
Old 3/16/07, 09:52 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by cookiemonster
The '07 V6s w/the pony pkg. too
Not according to the original order guide. Did they change it?
I haven't seen that on the stickers.
They list it as a $775 option on the stickers I've seen.
Old 3/16/07, 11:17 PM
GT Member

No issues here in Maine with my 05 GT. I agree with RobK wholeheartedly. The stock Pirelli All Seasons were terrible compared to the Michelin X-Ice I use in the winter.
Old 3/16/07, 11:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by karman
Not according to the original order guide. Did they change it?
I haven't seen that on the stickers.
They list it as a $775 option on the stickers I've seen.
None of the V6 cars come standard with traction control anymore, the '06 Pony package cars *did* come with it standard but for '07 it's an option only.
Old 3/17/07, 07:46 AM
Cobra Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by CrazyGreek89
All-seasons are a compromise all the way around. They're OK in the winter and they're OK in the summer, but they aren't nearly as good as full on summer tires and winter (snow/ice) tires. I rationalize that a set of four Blizzaks runs about the same as my insurance deductible but without the headache and heartache of wrecking my car. As I mentioned in my previous post, I drove a 600 HP Z/28 year round here in the Mid-Atlantic. We don't get tons of snow, but we get enough. The worst I drove through was about 6 inches on unplowed roads in the Poconos. I was actually passing guys in 4x4s (with crap tires) who had gotten stuck. Naturally tires are only half of the equation. The other half is common sense. You need to adapt your driving style to the conditions. This is something the average 4x4 driver hasn't figured out yet and why I seem to pass an SUV on its roof just about everytime I drive in the snow. One has to remember that physics is working against you on snow and ice. An object in motion tends to stay in motion...sure that 4x4 or all wheel drive does a great job of getting you going but it won't help much when it comes time to stop or turn. You need to dial back the inputs and keep it smooth.
Old 3/17/07, 07:44 PM

Have an 07 GT. Had no problems this winter with a nice set of Michelin X-Ice's.

If I can get through an Edmonton winter with this set up I should think a winter anywhere else would be cake. I saw people sliding all over the place, stuck in snowbanks etc. and I just kept on going. A good set of tires makes all the difference.
Old 3/17/07, 09:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I did quite well on the snow. The side streets weren't plowed but the main streets were great. In fact, I rolled right past a Honda Accord that got stuck in the snow.
Old 3/18/07, 08:48 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to all who put winter tires on! That's the only way to go if you drive year round in a colder climate. I daily drive my GT here in NY & I switch to Pirelli Snowsport 210's in winter. These things plow right through snow & ice. Also, they are MUCH better on ice cold bare streets. Right before I put them on this year we had some 10 degree weather & the stock tires felt greasy. The compound is just not meant for those temps. Get a cheap set of stock rims from EBAY & a good winter tire & you'll love the performance & security you get!
Old 3/18/07, 10:12 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Raserx
to all who put winter tires on! That's the only way to go if you drive year round in a colder climate. I daily drive my GT here in NY & I switch to Pirelli Snowsport 210's in winter. These things plow right through snow & ice. Also, they are MUCH better on ice cold bare streets. Right before I put them on this year we had some 10 degree weather & the stock tires felt greasy. The compound is just not meant for those temps. Get a cheap set of stock rims from EBAY & a good winter tire & you'll love the performance & security you get!

That's precisely why I ordered mine with the bare bones Bullit 17s. I'll use them for winter tires and a nice set of BBS RGRs for the summer.
Old 4/7/07, 10:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
Now i'm worried. I plan on driving my 07 V6 year round. I live in Colorado. I've heard that these cars are squirrely. Can someone give me reassurance?
Old 4/7/07, 10:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by crayonbreaking
Now i'm worried. I plan on driving my 07 V6 year round. I live in Colorado. I've heard that these cars are squirrely. Can someone give me reassurance?
You'll have no issues if you switch up to snow tires. You will have trouble on just all seasons.
Old 4/7/07, 10:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by RobK
You'll have no issues if you switch up to snow tires. You will have trouble on just all seasons.
I've been looking at those X-Ice Michelin tires that were mentioned...
Old 4/7/07, 11:14 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by crayonbreaking
I've been looking at those X-Ice Michelin tires that were mentioned...
Pretty much all of the snow/ice tires available will do well. I personally use Bridgestone Blizzaks. The easiest thing to do is get a tire and wheel package from someone like the Tirerack, or pick up some used wheels from here or ebay and buy tires to have mounted.
Old 4/7/07, 12:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for all of your input.

Quick Reply: Rain/Snow etc...