2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Questions for owners of new GT w/o IUP

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/04, 08:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is your steering wheel "Leather Wrapped" ??

The latest Order Guide states "Steering wheel-leather-wrapped, tilt" is a standard feature of the Deluxe (base) GT. But if you build one on the ford web site, it is not mentioned until you add the IUP. From the pictures I've seen of non-IUP GT's, I'd guess the order guide is wrong ... it certainly does not look to be leather-wrapped.

If you think about it, a real GT Mustang has had a Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel as standard since 1994 and possibly before. This excludes the GTS model of '95.5 and the base '96-97 GT which came with the base V6 Cloth Seats and did NOT include Fog Lamps, PW, PDL, Cruise, Power Seat, and Rear Spoiler (but not many GT's were actually built this way). Yet on a 2005, you can order Leather Seats without IUP and not have a Leather Wrapped Wheel ... this is strange to me.

Is it true that your instrument cluster is really lacking the "Oil Pressure & Volmeter" Gauges ??

Full Instrumentation had been standard on ALL Mustangs since 1979 and possibly before (not all that familiar with Mustang II's so it could have been since 1974). It is however true that the oil and volt gauges since (at least) '94 have been no more functional than idiot lights, but it irritates me none the less ... especially if this is true for GT's.

I'm not ripping on the 2005 Mustang in any way ... Ford and Team Mustang have done an outstanding job. I will more than likely replace my 2004 V6 5-Speed with a 2006 or 7 V6 or GT ... far sooner than I had planned (I put 90k miles on a '94 V6 5-Speed and 131k miles on the '98 V6 5-Speed that replaced it). It is just these little things that bug me ... not sure if I really like the IUP, but want a Leather Wheel & Full Instrumentation.

Sorry for the long rant !!
Old 11/8/04, 09:00 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope the wheel is leather on the non-IUP cars. The order guide and the sales brocheure clearly state a leather wheel is part of GT package, regardless of the IUP option.

I have a pic of the GT without the IUP and it is definately missing the volt and oil pressure gauges. I don't know why Ford cheaped out on this, but they did. I can live without the gauges, but like you, I think they should have been included as standard equipment on all Mustangs.

BTW, I have a non-IUP equipped GT on the way.
Old 11/8/04, 09:12 AM
GT Member

I have a Black 05 GT w/o IUP, and it does not have leather wrapped steering wheel or shifter ****, and it does not have voltometer or oil pressure guages. Sorry. I am used to a car not having those two guages anyways. It is kind of weird though, the rest of my car is leather, why not the steering wheel and shifter ****? Oh well!

-Andy Skiles
Old 11/8/04, 09:15 AM
Bullitt Member

No leather wrapped steering wheel and no extra guages...just the way I like it.
Old 11/8/04, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

I sat in a non IUP GT last week. The steering wheel was very plan. All plastic. The doors were very plain, too. All plastic.

The IUP does wonders. It is a MUST.
Old 11/8/04, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

In your opinion it's a must but in my opinion its tacky and way too much on such a loud car (screaming yellow).
Old 11/8/04, 09:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by askiles@November 8, 2004, 10:15 AM
I have a Black 05 GT w/o IUP, and it does not have leather wrapped steering wheel or shifter ****, and it does not have voltometer or oil pressure guages. Sorry. I am used to a car not having those two guages anyways. It is kind of weird though, the rest of my car is leather, why not the steering wheel and shifter ****? Oh well!

-Andy Skiles
That is exactly my point ... you can spend over $26k on a Premium GT which comes std. with Leather Seats and so many other features yet it comes without a Leather Wheel and Shift **** !! Fully loaded with everything but IUP sticker would be almost $30k (29,490) ... yet again, no Leather Wheel !!

We have a very basic '92 Ford F150 XLT work truck that for some reason came with a leather wrapped wheel ... no cruise, tilt, or PW, but yes a leather-wrapped wheel !! And being a work truck, the leather of course is all chewed up ... what was Ford thinking here ??
Old 11/8/04, 10:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Nichole@November 8, 2004, 10:24 AM
In your opinion it's a must but in my opinion its tacky and way too much on such a loud car (screaming yellow).
I aggre ... the complete IUP package is a little tacky !! I don't care for the brushed aluminum trim on the dash and the My-Color feature however "cool" it may be.

I've said this before and I'll say it again ... the My-Color feature sounds like it would be more at home in a PT Cruiser or New Beetle. It just does not belong in a performance car like the Mustang. As a separate option OK, but packaged with other content that a performance enthusiast would typically would want ... NO !! Especially when they were initally thinking 40-50% retail mix for the IUP option !!

Having the std. GT instrument cluster with all gauges would not increase the number of clusters for the Mustang platform and would not add all that much cost. Having a plain Leather-Wrapped Wheel would increase the number of different steering wheels from 4 to 6 (appears that grey interior has a grey wheel, but the tan interior gets a dk-charcoal wheel). This is nothing compared to the 32 different drivers seat variations they currently have availabe in the "Build & Price" program ...
3 colors V6 Cloth w/o pwr. adj. & w/o air bag (base Deluxe)
3 colors V6 Cloth w/o pwr. adj. & w/ air bag
3 colors V6 Cloth w/ pwr. adj. (base Premium, opt. Deluxe)
3 colors V6 Cloth w/ pwr. adj. & air bag
6 more per above but Leather (pwr. adj. only)
3 colors GT Cloth w/o air bag
3 colors GT Cloth w/ air bag
4 colors GT Leather w/o air bag
4 colors GT Leather w/ air bag
If it is any consolidation, there are "only" 26 variations of Passenger Seats and 13 Rear Seat variations.
Old 11/8/04, 10:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by orange3.9stang@November 8, 2004, 11:28 AM
I've said this before and I'll say it again ... the My-Color feature sounds like it would be more at home in a PT Cruiser or New Beetle. It just does not belong in a performance car like the Mustang.
what criteria do you use to determine what does and does not belong on a "performance car"? why doesn't it belong?

Does Air Conditioning belong? How about Power locks/windows? Cruise Control? Etc???

These days cars come with alot of extra stuff with little extra cost. And I think most consumers appreciate it.

Don't like the My Color and think it doesn't belong? Set it to whatever color you think Ford "should have made it" and then forget about it. The cost you would save by deleting it would be negligible.
Old 11/8/04, 11:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The things you describe for comparison are "Fuctional" features that help improve the driving experience, the My Color is a appearance and gimmicky kind of thing.

More complicated crap to possibly have problems with down the road and one more thing for today's typical driver to mess with while they are on the phone and/or eating-drinking and supposedly driving.

Yes, I aggree that it probably does not add all that much cost and separating it would be trivial, and yes I would just set it and leave it.

Hopefully it is a gimmick (feature) that helps sell more cars ... and if marketed properly, it may even get people into the showroom that had never considered a Mustang or even a Ford before. :clown: :clown:
Old 11/8/04, 01:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

i see your point , and the "gimmickyness" to it. But I suppose someone can argue that there is a functional use for changing the color. It might be easier for someone to see a certain color over what ford might have chosen as the default. And like I said it probably would not reduce the cost of the IUP by any significant amount. So I was just disagreeing about your comment that it does not belong on a performance car, cause it's not hurting anything by being there. Some will like it, and the others who don't care for it can just set it and forget it.

Cheers
Old 11/8/04, 04:26 PM
Cobra Member

You were correct, my GT came in today without the leather steering wheel. The plastic wheel was rough. A $27k car should at least have a leather steering wheel. Oh well, I declined delivery. The outside looks wonderful, but the inside is an exercise in cost cutting. The car was sold to someone else before I left the dealership.
Old 11/8/04, 08:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by orange3.9stang@November 8, 2004, 1:36 PM
The things you describe for comparison are "Fuctional" features that help improve the driving experience, the My Color is a appearance and gimmicky kind of thing.

More complicated crap to possibly have problems with down the road and one more thing for today's typical driver to mess with while they are on the phone and/or eating-drinking and supposedly driving.

Yes, I aggree that it probably does not add all that much cost and separating it would be trivial, and yes I would just set it and leave it.

Hopefully it is a gimmick (feature) that helps sell more cars ... and if marketed properly, it may even get people into the showroom that had never considered a Mustang or even a Ford before. :clown: :clown:
You must be stopped to change My Color. It cannot be changed while car is in motion. My Color lights white for daytime, the color you chose happens when parking lights are turned on.
Old 11/9/04, 02:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Badsnke98@November 8, 2004, 9:51 PM
You must be stopped to change My Color. It cannot be changed while car is in motion. My Color lights white for daytime, the color you chose happens when parking lights are turned on.
Well that is a very good thing !! I had in my mind a car full of teenage girls driving in the new GT daddy bought for her 16th birthday ... the driver changing the colors as the other 3 went ooh, aah.

Sorry my mind is not normal ... had to share.
Old 11/9/04, 02:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by lodom@November 8, 2004, 5:29 PM
You were correct, my GT came in today without the leather steering wheel. The plastic wheel was rough. A $27k car should at least have a leather steering wheel. Oh well, I declined delivery. The outside looks wonderful, but the inside is an exercise in cost cutting. The car was sold to someone else before I left the dealership.
My ranting did not help kill your deal did it ?? I don't think I could have walked away unless it was not all that sweet of a deal ... I.E. closer to Sticker Price than Invoice.
Old 11/9/04, 07:05 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by orange3.9stang@November 9, 2004, 3:34 AM

My ranting did not help kill your deal did it ?? I don't think I could have walked away unless it was not all that sweet of a deal ... I.E. closer to Sticker Price than Invoice.
No, actually it was a coincidence that you posted about the leather steering wheel on the same day my car arrived. I trusted the order guide and the sales brochure were correct about the leather wheel being available when I ordered the car, but the 10/15 (my build date) revison removed the leather steering wheel. The GM printed out the revised one after I went to the sales desk. Initially he thought the car was built incorrect, and I wish that were the case, until he printed out the newest one.

The standard vinyl wheel feels rough and cheap. If it was smoother, like the one in my mom’s Camry, it might not be so bad. The steering wheel also blocks most of the speedometer in its lowest postion, and is also a bit too far of a reach. Supposedly, this is a $30k interior in a $20k car, but I strongly disagree. The top of the dash was finished roughly in places, and looked like it was spray dyed in a dusty environment. There was a squeak coming from the steering column, and rear gear noise around 40mph, which someone else has mentioned in another topic.

I sat in the car for over an hour trying to make up my mind. I’ve been waiting for over 2 years for this car to come out, and about 2 months since I’ve ordered. It was a hard decision, since I can’t think of another car I’d like to buy right now, especially since it will take another $10 grand to come close. I’m still upset about the whole ordeal.

Yes, it was a sweet X-plan deal, so that made all the tougher.
Old 11/9/04, 08:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by thegoalie@November 8, 2004, 4:20 PM
I sat in a non IUP GT last week. The steering wheel was very plan. All plastic. The doors were very plain, too. All plastic.

The IUP does wonders. It is a MUST.
I agree Completly! The only combo I have seen that looks good without the IUP so far is the Parchment. But considerinbg all of the things you give up without the IUP, Extra Guages (No mater whether you like or dislike the My Color I want Full Instrunmentation), Leather Wrapped Wheel and Shifter, Real Aluminum Trim on the Shifter (Auto Only), Wheel, Aluminum Scuff Plates, and Dash, It's a No Brainer to me !

But if you Really don't care about the Guages, Dash Trim, or the Scuff Plates, but want a leather Wrapped Wheel and Aluminum Wheel and Shifter Trim then you're in Luck! Check out this Post.

New Interior Package Added
Old 11/9/04, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

so let me get this strait you can get a leather wraped wheel as long as you get the IUP?
Old 11/9/04, 08:33 AM
Bullitt Member

so let me get this strait you can get a leather wraped wheel as long as you get the IUP?