2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Question for any mechanics out there

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/05, 05:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Ok, I just picked up my car from the dealer again. They have had it since last Tuesday to intsall another gas tank. Anyway. I just got it back & as soon as I hit a straight spot & got it up to 60 I heard a roaring noise. It's not there before 60 or at 80 but between that it's horrible. :angry:

It sounds like you're in the cockpit of an airplane (and I've never been in a cockpit of an airplane). Then when you are slowing down it vibrates the seat & you feel it in the steering wheel too. It doesn't shake to wheel but you can feel it in the steering wheel. :angry:

Now my question is, what can cause this? And has anyone else experienced this after a dealership stop? Because mine was fine before I dropped it off. Also their service manager was supossed to have taken it for a test run. I am gogin to guess that he didn't test it at the right speed. :notnice:

Thaks in advance.

~*~Kera~*~
Old 4/25/05, 05:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

So basically when you are braking it vibrates alot, and you feel it in the steering wheel and seat.
Sounds like bad shocks from that description to me.
I have no idea what the "roaring" noise can be though, so it can be something else.
It's really hard guessing what it can be from a description, but that's my best guess.
Old 4/25/05, 08:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

I recently had a similar problem on my other car - without the loud roaring sound. My brake caliper was dragging, and it made for some uncomfortable driving. The front rim would wobble at highway speeds, but the strange part was that it would not happen all the time. What tipped me off was a friend at work - he suggested that I touch my rims after driving to see if they were hot. Sure enough - I darn near burnt myself. They were so hot that it was melting the rubber on my tires. I replaced the calipers and it is now fine. Hope things work out for you.
Old 4/25/05, 08:47 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,190 Likes on 2,337 Posts
Driveshaft got bent on the Rack? Look for ding in Driveshaft. Exhaust pipe not installed correctly. Exhaust vibration damper not reinstalled or bent. Take it back asap be calm but firm!

kc
Old 4/25/05, 08:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 05stangkc@April 25, 2005, 9:50 PM
Driveshaft got bent on the Rack? Look for ding in Driveshaft. Exhaust pipe not installed correctly. Exhaust vibration damper not reinstalled or bent. Take it back asap be calm but firm!

kc
I like kc's hunch - much more likely than the dragging brake scenario - especially since the car would have been up on a lift for the gas-tank removal.
Old 4/25/05, 09:03 PM
GT Member

They had to take the driveshaft out to replace the gas tank. They might not have put the driveshaft back on in the same position, causing it to be out of balance. There are six different positions that it could go back on. If they didn't mark it when they took it apart, they will have to try each position until it doesn't vibrate or make the noise anymore. Good luck!
Old 4/25/05, 09:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks guys. I called & am taking it back tomorrow after school. My mom & grandpa said the same thing about the driveshaft. And I did notice that the exhaust seems to be sitting to far down. I can see it from the side of the car at like 10 feet away.

I am just hopeful that something can be done quickly & I won't have to drive their Focus anymore. Again thanks for the advice.

~*~Kera~*~
Old 4/26/05, 12:05 AM
GT Member

My guess is the driveshaft was not put back in the same position it was removed.
Old 4/26/05, 12:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Driveshaft, as stated if not marked and put back, can cause imbalance, giving those ujoints a real fun ride. goodluck. They should be able to take care of it, if it is constantly reproducable which I am sure it is, if thats what they did. probably had to drop it to get out tank.
Old 4/26/05, 06:00 AM
Bullitt Member

10-1 it is the drive shaft ..... I would call dealer and tell them that I am first in line with another service call.
Old 4/26/05, 06:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

I long for the good old days before sites like these when a person could repeatedly go back and forth to the delaership wasting valueable time not getting things fixed right....ahhh those were the days
Old 4/26/05, 01:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey guys. Just an update. I went to the dealer & I went with the guy for a test spin & he defiently heard it too. Anyway. He took it back to his tech & they said it was defiently the driveshaft.

So, the solution, he has to order me another driveshaft & it will be here in about a week. He didn't exactly tell me what was wrong just that they needed to replace it because it was "messed up". In the mean time I just get to drive it like it is.

Thanks again for the advice. It was greatly appraciated.

~*~Kera~*~
Old 4/26/05, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Probably had the drive shaft out of phase and the u joints
Old 4/26/05, 02:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I knew that was a driveshaft issue. You can bet that was messed up during the tank operation. They don't like to own up to things like this cause it makes them look incompetent.

May as well just own up to it, we know they did it anyway, it worked fine before they messed with it.
Old 4/26/05, 06:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Should you be driving it at all? That's not a drive shaft you want to have break. Well, I guess you don't want any to break, but it could do serious damage.
Old 4/26/05, 07:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These cars are very sensitive to a driveshaft imbalance. The way you balance it is the bolts have different weights to them. You need to put them back in exactly as they were originally otherwise it's a pain in the neck to get it right. Lincoln LS and the new bodystyle T-bird are the same way.