Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about TPMS and wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/10, 10:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Question about TPMS and wheels

I am going to get rid of my stock 17" Pony Bullitts. They have th TPMS sensors on them. When I got my custom/aftermarket Konig Illusion wheels on at Discount, obviously they told me the sensors were not transfered to the wheels. I am wondering two things.
A). Is it possible to remove the sensors? How hard is it if so?
and B). Is there anyone who would buy the sensors before I scrap the wheels?
The stock 17s have been painted and not well (by me). My garage where they are stored is looking for needed space. Just wanting to get rid of them.

Help? What should I do?

Last edited by unnoticedtrails; 11/12/10 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11/14/10, 08:11 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by unnoticedtrails
I am going to get rid of my stock 17" Pony Bullitts. They have th TPMS sensors on them. When I got my custom/aftermarket Konig Illusion wheels on at Discount, obviously they told me the sensors were not transfered to the wheels. I am wondering two things.
A). Is it possible to remove the sensors? How hard is it if so?
and B). Is there anyone who would buy the sensors before I scrap the wheels?
The stock 17s have been painted and not well (by me). My garage where they are stored is looking for needed space. Just wanting to get rid of them.

Help? What should I do?
depending what you painted them with (spray can?) enamel reducer might strip them right to the old powdercoat...a buddy had me try this on my old galaxie doors- factory baked paint/stored in brotherinlaws garage while I repaired the frame- he sprayed something and got it all over the 40 year old doors...wiped down with enamel reducer and it didnt hurt the old baked on paint. if you were closer, I'd buy them- my wifes got curb rash on 3 of hers, they wont fit in my lathe to clean up...put them on ebay, someone will want them- shipping is the bad thing.

as far as the sensors, I dont think the bands are reuseable- theres a barbed clip at each end that you could pop off to remove the sensor, but as batteries are only supposed to last 6 years dunno if anyone would really want them- I got one to put in the wifes car(left front failed) and theres a date code on them I assume is for battery/shelf life...

Last edited by ford4v429; 11/14/10 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11/14/10, 12:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bands are not reusable. There are places online to get them though. Also, I think most tire shops can get the steel bands. Make double sure they use the steel bands though, plastic bands won't hold in the long run.

http://search.americanmuscle.com/sea...-keywords-tpms
Old 11/14/10, 05:35 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
Bands are not reusable. There are places online to get them though. Also, I think most tire shops can get the steel bands. Make double sure they use the steel bands though, plastic bands won't hold in the long run.

http://search.americanmuscle.com/sea...-keywords-tpms
This, you can get replacement bands and some of that thick double sided tape will secure the saddles to the wheel.

Alot of people consider them a PITA, but personally I find them a worth while safety system on the car. My car does not come with a spare from the Ford, so any advanced warning that the tire is low while I'm in on the road is nothing but a plus, especially when I can avoid catstrophic failure and the damage it can cause - and I've seen some really crazy tire damage that resulted in a critically low tire essentially exploding and allowing the steel belt to beat against the car (a replacement steel strap is cheap insurance in comparison).
Old 11/14/10, 06:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by bob
This, you can get replacement bands and some of that thick double sided tape will secure the saddles to the wheel.

Alot of people consider them a PITA, but personally I find them a worth while safety system on the car. My car does not come with a spare from the Ford, so any advanced warning that the tire is low while I'm in on the road is nothing but a plus, especially when I can avoid catstrophic failure and the damage it can cause - and I've seen some really crazy tire damage that resulted in a critically low tire essentially exploding and allowing the steel belt to beat against the car (a replacement steel strap is cheap insurance in comparison).
But, wait, so I can add them to my Konig wheels or my snows? The wheels do not have to be specifically made for TPMS sensors as I was told by someone previously?

And, the wheels I want to get rid of were painted basically with a rattle can and prep. They are not horrible looking, but lack anything show worthy. I may try that method to strip them.

The main reason I want to get rid of them is, they are stored at my parent's second garage of their house and my dad wants the space cleared.

I have no use for them but would love to get some extra cash. you know!?
Old 11/14/10, 07:09 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
the sensors are just strapped to the drop center part of the wheel...on some makes, the sensor is part of the valvestem, in any event though, you can put the sensors in any wheel you get...I'm sure tirerack or ANY big name tire/wheel supplier can fix you right up

there are *some* wheels that are more TPMS friendly- at work were machining Porsche, AMG, Ferarri and some others that have balance cuts to counter the imbalance from the sensor,but all the other ones Ive seen, they just add weight as in the old days...I dont recall any balance notches on the Shelby or SRT8 mopar wheels...at least not yet. Were running Cruze/Volt also currently, and I know they dont have any counterbalance cuts, but then again, they are small wheels
Old 11/15/10, 03:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
the sensors are just strapped to the drop center part of the wheel...on some makes, the sensor is part of the valvestem, in any event though, you can put the sensors in any wheel you get...I'm sure tirerack or ANY big name tire/wheel supplier can fix you right up

there are *some* wheels that are more TPMS friendly- at work were machining Porsche, AMG, Ferarri and some others that have balance cuts to counter the imbalance from the sensor,but all the other ones Ive seen, they just add weight as in the old days...I dont recall any balance notches on the Shelby or SRT8 mopar wheels...at least not yet. Were running Cruze/Volt also currently, and I know they dont have any counterbalance cuts, but then again, they are small wheels
Thank you for your help Tim.