2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Question about Satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/05 | 07:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

I put mine in the console too. We ran the wire for the antenna under the seats and up through the bottom of the console. I like it because it's hidden, but still easy enough to get at for changing channels.

[attachmentid=30674]
Old 8/15/05 | 07:58 AM
GT Member

This weekend I finally hard wired my Sirius Sportster. It's in the glove box. I just keep the remote in the cup holder, and open the glove box when I feel like changing the channel. I think it's GREAT....because I keep way too much stuff in my center console.

I can't wait for my AUX input harness to arrive so I have an even better sounding SIRIUS.
Old 8/15/05 | 08:49 AM
V6 Member

I will concur that Opie and Anthony kick buttocks but the reason ford does not offer sat radio from either one because they had a Deal with Sirius that had an none compete type clause. they will start offering Sirius shortly I think and I am not sure about XM
Old 8/15/05 | 09:02 AM

Originally posted by Red Ryder@August 15, 2005, 9:01 AM
This weekend I finally hard wired my Sirius Sportster. It's in the glove box. I just keep the remote in the cup holder, and open the glove box when I feel like changing the channel. I think it's GREAT....because I keep way too much stuff in my center console.

I can't wait for my AUX input harness to arrive so I have an even better sounding SIRIUS.
Eric,

Where and how did you patch into a power line for your Sportster in your glove box?

Also what did you use to mount it in there, something custom?

Nice job - I think that's where I'll put mine.
Old 8/15/05 | 09:20 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by darrennye@August 15, 2005, 10:05 AM
Eric,

Where and how did you patch into a power line for your Sportster in your glove box?

Also what did you use to mount it in there, something custom?

Nice job - I think that's where I'll put mine.
I just hard wired it into the fuse box so it shuts off with the vehicle - After doors open. (Fuse 6)

I used the mounting bracket that you get when you purchase the Car Kit. It's just 3M'ed to the bottom of the glove box with the wires wrapped up nice and neat behind the unit. I was happy to still have room for my owners manual.
Old 8/15/05 | 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by TexasVert@July 18, 2005, 7:38 PM
My wife has the Starmate in her car since we did not need two units that were removable to use elsewhere and that vehicle had a good place for it to be permanently installed. But I was not aware that the Starmate was removable. Ours is hardwired and stuck in place with adhesive since it does not have a "plug n play" cradle like the Sportster. If you can actually do this that would be great but from what I saw the Starmate was a permanent fixed install. Perhaps you can not stick the Starmate down and just unplug the wires and let them dangle in the cup holder and put the headunit in the console but given how small the Starmate is to begin with I would not see where that would be much of an improvement with the wires still dangling in the cupholder. The Starmate also has a more expensive installation since you also have to install an FM modulator that connects inline with your radio antenna. The Sportster has a wireless FM modulator built in so you do not have to have a separate FM modulator. They simply mount the cradle and run power and the antenna.
Um, no Mike, you must have an old one or something. The Starmate just sits on it's mount and the mount drops right in the cup holder. The power and antenna wires are routed into the console box. When I use the Starmate, the wires just run out of the top of the console box, the lid closes over them with no problem. When I don't want the radio, I just pull it out of the cup holder and drop the entire thing in the console, wires and all. No dangling wires and I can take it off the mount at any time. Also, the Starmate has a built in FM modulator, just like the sportster. I got mine on sale with full auto kit and a home kit (no boom box available) for $50 after rebate!
Old 8/15/05 | 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Hellcat6@August 15, 2005, 10:05 AM
Um, no Mike, you must have an old one or something. The Starmate just sits on it's mount and the mount drops right in the cup holder. The power and antenna wires are routed into the console box. When I use the Starmate, the wires just run out of the top of the console box, the lid closes over them with no problem. When I don't want the radio, I just pull it out of the cup holder and drop the entire thing in the console, wires and all. No dangling wires and I can take it off the mount at any time. Also, the Starmate has a built in FM modulator, just like the sportster. I got mine on sale with full auto kit and a home kit (no boom box available) for $50 after rebate!

Sorry I must have the name of my wife's unit wrong. Her's appears to be a permanent mount. Surprised there are two units from the same maker with plug n play cradles..... I might have gone with that one if it was smaller if I had known about it. But then again I wanted to get the boom box so maybe not. The boom box it great! Music by the pool, no commercials.....