Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about MPG readouts...

Search this Thread

Old 7/10/07, 06:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about MPG readouts...

I had to go to Jersey yesterday and filled up over there for $2.69. Anyway, I had left the engine running while the guy was filling it up for me. I noticed it said 240 miles left to E. Well when he filled up it read the same thing. I figured when I got home and shut it off the computer would reset itself and it would be fine today. I noticed it said the same thing this morning on my way to work.

Anyway to bypass this?

Whenever I fill up, I usually shut the car off, fill up, start up and the readout is usually accurate.
Old 7/10/07, 08:14 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you have to shut down before the computer resets. I really like the message center. It seems really accurate, and you don't have to sweat as much between fillups since you know how far you can go to empty.

Originally Posted by CrazyGreek89
I had to go to Jersey yesterday and filled up over there for $2.69. Anyway, I had left the engine running while the guy was filling it up for me. I noticed it said 240 miles left to E. Well when he filled up it read the same thing. I figured when I got home and shut it off the computer would reset itself and it would be fine today. I noticed it said the same thing this morning on my way to work.

Anyway to bypass this?

Whenever I fill up, I usually shut the car off, fill up, start up and the readout is usually accurate.
Old 7/10/07, 08:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Falchion
I think you have to shut down before the computer resets. I really like the message center. It seems really accurate, and you don't have to sweat as much between fillups since you know how far you can go to empty.
I got that part, but how do I correct it now? It reads 240 Miles to E even though Its more like 300.
Old 7/10/07, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm guessing you'll have to drive it for a while and the computer will adjust the mile range as it goes along.
Old 7/10/07, 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

If it doesn't reset itself.. you can do it manually. Hit "Info" until you get to "Miles til Empty".. .then "Reset".
Old 7/10/07, 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Falchion
I don't find the DTE calculation to be all that accurate. I think it's based on your average fuel economy over the past 500 miles or so. Plus I can drive for 30 miles with it reading "0" miles to empty. What I do instead is watch the number of gallons used for a better indicator. When it started reading 15.0 gallons used, I know I only have about 20 miles left.
Old 7/11/07, 06:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
I believe when its zero miles to empty there is still enough fuel to cool the fuel pump. Also I think its kind of a safety thing so you don't run out of gas
Old 7/11/07, 07:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
0 Miles on the readout is the point at which there is about a gallon left. Look at the gallons used next time you get to 0 and it should be right around 15.

Also, these people that say it's not very accurate frustrate me. Yes of course it's based on average fuel econonomy over the last 500 miles. You get a fairly accurate representation of the broad range of driving habits if you take that many miles into account.

What the readout is telling you is that if you drive like you did the last 500 miles you will get XXX miles on the gas left in the tank right now.

It is constantly adjusting itself. Drive 5 miles on the freeway in 3rd gear, I guarantee the miles to empty will drop by more than 5 miles.

It's true the other way. If you daily driving is all city and you take a road trip. Driving 5 miles at freeway speeds will drop the miles to empty by less than 5 miles.

I mean the display isn't psychic; it can't guess how hard or gentle you are going to drive on this tank, so it has to use your history to guess.
Old 7/11/07, 08:03 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Yeah, I agree with you. I think it's accurate with me since I drive the same every day.

Anyways, it's a lot better then a gas gauge needle that might or not be within a gallon or two.

Originally Posted by AWmustang
0 Miles on the readout is the point at which there is about a gallon left. Look at the gallons used next time you get to 0 and it should be right around 15.

Also, these people that say it's not very accurate frustrate me. Yes of course it's based on average fuel econonomy over the last 500 miles. You get a fairly accurate representation of the broad range of driving habits if you take that many miles into account.

What the readout is telling you is that if you drive like you did the last 500 miles you will get XXX miles on the gas left in the tank right now.

It is constantly adjusting itself. Drive 5 miles on the freeway in 3rd gear, I guarantee the miles to empty will drop by more than 5 miles.

It's true the other way. If you daily driving is all city and you take a road trip. Driving 5 miles at freeway speeds will drop the miles to empty by less than 5 miles.

I mean the display isn't psychic; it can't guess how hard or gentle you are going to drive on this tank, so it has to use your history to guess.
Old 7/11/07, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DoctorQ
If it doesn't reset itself.. you can do it manually. Hit "Info" until you get to "Miles til Empty".. .then "Reset".
This doesnt work. Reset does nothing when your on the XXX til empty screen
Old 7/11/07, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

I find the Miles To Empty feature and Average MPG to be very accurate. I also monitor my Gallons Used indicator to see how much gas I used. I usually refill my car within three-tenths of the amount it took me to fill up last time (i.e. if it took me 16.2 gallons to fill up, I will not refuel until my gallon used indicator reads at least 15.8 - 15.9), I haven't had any problems doing that thus far (knock on wood). It's a very handy gadget and great for monitoring fuel consumption, not that I'm concerned with fuel economy owning a Mustang (v6 or v8) but it's good to know everything is working properly.