2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Quality of factory paint job

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/05, 07:12 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, after the long wait its here.....
Just picked up my 05.9 Sonic Blue GT mustang last week. I love the car,
however i am a little disappointed in the quality of the paint job. :angry: Some
places the paint looks to be a little too think, and places like, inside
the gas cap area have little to no paint, inside the front door jams
have little or no plaint things like that. Perhaps I am just a little
too picky.

How do you feel about yours? I would like to know. :scratch:

-Adam
Old 8/9/05, 07:19 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also have Sonic Blue. Passenger door, there is an area about 1" wide and 4" high where the paint looks very thin. It is not that noticable so I would rather live with it than have them repaint the door. Afterall, factory paint can take more abuse than aftermarket. Paint chips very easily around the C area behind the doors. There is a blemish on the hood that I buffed out and a small blemish near the rear spoiler under the clearcoat. Other than that the paint is pretty darn good. Not much orange peel at all.

When you say little or no paint, you can actually see primer? I'd definately bring something like that back to the dealer.
Old 8/9/05, 07:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

I had some problems when I got mine. As you can see I bought black. I've got some serious orange peel everwhere. But I also had to bring my GT into the local body shop to repair a hair under the paint and a painted over dent.
Old 8/9/05, 07:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

ps. Dealer had to pay for the dent/paint repair.
Ford had to pay for the hair problem.

This was after owning in for 2 weeks. Body shop said I would have been able to see those upon my first inspection it was 8 am and pouring down rain. He's the one that actually pointed them out. I had just had gotten it waxed and it was a sunny day when I stopped by the body shop.
Old 8/9/05, 07:53 AM
Cobra Member

I have a couple small particles stuck in the paint, I only notice them when I'm washing it. There will be some orange peel in all mass produced vehicles, but overall I'd say the factory paint is as good or better than most.

I wonder if certain colors are more prone to orange peel than others? Mine looks really good.
Old 8/9/05, 08:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by nynvolt@August 9, 2005, 7:56 AM
I have a couple small particles stuck in the paint, I only notice them when I'm washing it. There will be some orange peel in all mass produced vehicles, but overall I'd say the factory paint is as good or better than most.

I wonder if certain colors are more prone to orange peel than others? Mine looks really good.
Same here, I have two very small black particles under the clear coat. I only see them when washing. One on the hood and one on the rear deck. They are about the size of a period on a printed page. Other than that, the quality of the paint job is really nice, you have to look really close at the right angles to notice any orange peel effect at all.
Jeff
Old 8/9/05, 08:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Overall very satisfied with the paint.
I have TR and beit not for a couple of drips on the door edge, which you can only see when the door is open, it's not bad at all.
Old 8/9/05, 08:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

My Silver GT paint is a little thin on the drivers side of the hood. But not worth having the dealer paint it.

Fritz, Silver Premium GT, IUP S1000 and KDWS 255/50/17s
Old 8/9/05, 09:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

so so on being happy with it

the paint seems to chip/scratch very, very easy, and I too have black with orange peel everywhere!

there are also 2 spots with very small blemishes in the paint, looks like something in it while drying
Old 8/9/05, 09:26 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Vallee@August 9, 2005, 6:15 AM
Ok, after the long wait its here.....
Just picked up my 05.9 Sonic Blue GT mustang last week. I love the car,
however i am a little disappointed in the quality of the paint job. :angry: Some
places the paint looks to be a little too think, and places like, inside
the gas cap area have little to no paint, inside the front door jams
have little or no plaint things like that. Perhaps I am just a little
too picky.

How do you feel about yours? I would like to know. :scratch:

-Adam

I totally agree with you about the paint! I have Satin silver. When I first got the car I decided to clay bar all of the overspay and rail dust off. As I was doing this I found numerous things throught the paint. My biggest complaint is how there was too much clear coat spray in the fender wells and other corners of the car (like hood corners, door corners. If I look carefully I can see large dried drops of clearcoat on the edges of the drivers side fender wells.

The corner of the hood was sprayed so think that the very edge which hangs over the headlamp had a huge dried drop of clearcoat and it chipped off leaving the entire corner to bare metal! I touched it up and had the clear bra guy just cover it up.

I have found several "fisheyes" and "dust specs under the clearcoat throught the paint as well.

I took it to the Ford dealer who asked me to take it to thier body shop. After talking with the body shop guy he thought I was better off not messing with it. It is difficult I guess to fix things like this without painting an entire panel. I think it is better off with the factory finish. Since most of these imperfections are in areas one cannot see.

After giving the car a once over, he brought out a paint thickness measuring gauge. What we discovered is that compared to other cars on the lot my car has almost TRIPLE the amount of clearcoat. The thickness gauge reads around 12 mils on my car. We measured three other GT's that day and none of those measured more than 4 mils. When you look at my car it looks like it has a permanent coat of Zaino on it because it has soooo much clearcoat. This is actually a good thing.

Don't get me wrong lots of clearcaot is a good thing, except when it was sprayed so thick in certain areas that it caused drips to dry and crack off.

I can live with it. I can't imagine having to leave this car at the body shop for repaint! I would lose my mind thinking about that.
Old 8/9/05, 09:27 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah I gotta admit the paint on the new stang seems to chip very easy.
A lot easier than my 02.

I have more marks on the car than I can count... didn't have that many on my old car....
They aren't hugely noticeable..but I cringe everytime I was my car....

Time to get some touchup paint
Old 8/9/05, 09:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm happy with my Torch Red. Not much orange peel at all. Only one chip so far and that is on the door edge. When I got the car, the rear bumper cover looked to be lighter than the rest of the car which I was not happy about. "Luckily", some idiot backed into me and I had to have the cover replaced. When the dealer tested the factory paint code it was a bad match for the car. They had to add yellow to get it right, not it looks great!
Old 8/9/05, 06:05 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
definitely seems easy to chip and THIN on the hood.......
Old 8/9/05, 06:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

My black looks OK for orange peel, etc but there's a TON of crap in the paint that won't come off. I've clay-barred it and waxed/polished it but it's still there. There's so much that it looks like metallic paint but the flecks aren't shiny... overall, I'd say I'm disappointed with it. The black paint on my 2001 Jeep looked way better... and it was covered in mud a lot of the time!
Old 8/10/05, 08:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Guys give it about a year for the paint to really settle and most of the orange peel will fade out. If your so worried about it then have the car wet sanded and buffed.
Old 8/10/05, 08:08 AM
V6 Member

I have a Windveil Blue and have no complaints about the paint job. It is easy to keep clean and looks great.
Old 8/10/05, 08:33 AM

I've got black and it has pretty bad orange peel and a few fisheyes. One of the fisheyes is large enough to warrant a repaint, but I haven't had it done, because I'm not sure that the fix won't end up being worse than the paint defect.
Old 8/10/05, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

My parents bought a 98 explorer and filed the lemon law on it due to the paint. It had what looked liked pitted spots that were in the paint before the clearcoat went on it. He gave them 3 times to fix without a total repaint and then filed the lemon law. I am sorry but I wouldnt have a car that had paint issues. If you have to have a total repaint you had might as well lower the price of your cars value by 2 or 3 grand because it will be .
Old 8/10/05, 12:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WARNING.. becareful if you use a car wash with a hose and you wash it your self because if you are trying to get bugs/mud/dirt and such off you are liable to chip the paint.. Happend to me the other day ;(.. Only good thing is mines black and it doesnt' show up really bad..
Old 8/10/05, 12:07 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Andy Haynes@August 10, 2005, 8:09 AM
Guys give it about a year for the paint to really settle and most of the orange peel will fade out. If your so worried about it then have the car wet sanded and buffed.
You lost me on this one. How does orange peel fade out after a year? Paint is already cured. My 97 GT had orange peel on the trunk lid. 5 years later, still had orange peel.

Quick Reply: Quality of factory paint job