2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Prospective GT premium owner

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/07, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prospective GT premium owner

Hi everyone. I do not own a mustang yet, but I am considering trading in my current car (Audi a4 2.0t) for a manual transmission GT premium. I have been lurking this forum for awhile and I must say that I am now getting very eager to get rid of my car and hop into a stang. While my Audi is good, the Mustang seems to be better. My uncle owns an '05 GT and it is absulutely gorgeus yet beastly. So my question to you gentlemen is if there is anything that you don't like about your car and if there are any options that are a definite plus to have or wish you had gotten in retrospect? Thanks in advance.
Old 8/22/07, 05:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing I don't like is the monthly payment

Everything else is good...
Old 8/22/07, 05:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
I think I would have added a power passengers seat.
Old 8/22/07, 05:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=58827
Old 8/22/07, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Yep. Power passenger seat. My wife is not short, but she'd certainly like to raise the overall seat height like she can on the drivers side. She has a problem seeing around and over the hood scoop that came with the GT appearance group package. Oh yeah, the GT package is a must - if for nothing else, the engine cover is worth it.
Old 8/22/07, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Love my car but it certainly doesn't feel nimble at 3500 lbs and a live rear axle. I don't know too much about the A4 but I get the impression the GT is a step-down in terms of handling
Old 8/22/07, 12:41 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The 07 and up GT Premium has a Comfort Group option that includes heated seats, and the Passenger seat is powered. Also included is an auto-dimming mirror with compass.

I would read through the order guide carefully before going in, so you know what's available. There's no guarantee your dealer's sales-folk will know it all, and it might be helpfull to print it out to bring with you.
Old 8/22/07, 12:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jedikd
Love my car but it certainly doesn't feel nimble at 3500 lbs and a live rear axle.
An A4 weighs about the same or more than a Mustang GT (3660lbs in the test below) and accelerates about the same as a V6 Mustang.

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...tro-page4.html

Originally Posted by jedikd
I don't know too much about the A4 but I get the impression the GT is a step-down in terms of handling
A4: 0.84g
Mustang GT : 0.89g

doesn't sound like a step down to me
Old 8/22/07, 01:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
An A4 weighs about the same or more than a Mustang GT (3660lbs in the test below) and accelerates about the same as a V6 Mustang.

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...tro-page4.html

A4: 0.84g
Mustang GT : 0.89g

doesn't sound like a step down to me
ah, didn't know it was that one. I don't know much about Audis I thought maybe the A4 was a little hatchback or something
Old 8/22/07, 03:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
I love my GT but there are two things I don't like about it. The driveline quality (transmission is a little clunky, the clutch is a little obnoxious) and the lack of tire grip. It's too easy to spin the tires on the stock Pirellis, especially in the rain.

As far as GT deluxe versus premium differences, I'm wholy satisfied with the premium package. The Shaker 500 is a great sound system from the factory (some skipping problems in earlier models but that should be fixed by now), the leather trimmed seats look exceptional (personally, I think the embossed patterns on the cloth seats look stupid). Those are basically the only two differences between the deluxe and premium models, but it's $200 cheaper to go with the premium than it would be to go with the deluxe and select those options. I'd also recommend the Interior Upgrade Package for the satin aluminum or dark charcoal dash panel, the message center, and the MyColor.
Old 8/22/07, 03:59 PM

You guys are awesome. Yeah the handling will be much better in the mustang due to the rear wheel drive and slightly lighter weight. My car before the audi was an '06 Charger R/T, and I miss the rear wheel setup and the power/ sound of that V8, not to mention being able to fill up on regular gas instead of premium. All your replies were very helpful, thanks all.
Old 8/23/07, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Yep. Power passenger seat. My wife is not short, but she'd certainly like to raise the overall seat height like she can on the drivers side. She has a problem seeing around and over the hood scoop that came with the GT appearance group package. Oh yeah, the GT package is a must - if for nothing else, the engine cover is worth it.
I agree about the engine cover . . . it looks naked without it. But I had an issue with the appearance of the hood scoop (being non-functional and all) so my plan is to buy the engine cover and exhaust tips and install them myself. That's the beauty of this car . . . there's room for everybody to personalize it the way they want.
Old 8/23/07, 05:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

get the iup for sure
Old 8/23/07, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by DomesticDisturbance
...not to mention being able to fill up on regular gas instead of premium....
That wont last long...you will want a tune and CAI :-P
Old 8/23/07, 08:02 AM
GT Member

After you get it you will want all sortso of things to make it sound better (mufflers), go faster, etc and so on.
I added the mirror with temp and compass because I missed it. You can order it from the factory. The 500 Shaker is more than enough in my opinion and I like the my color and aluminum dash.
Also love the upgraded 18" bullitts from the factory and the posi rear with 3.55 from the factory. Would order 3.73 if I could get it.
Enjoy your car when you get it.
Old 8/23/07, 08:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
I love my GT but there are two things I don't like about it. The driveline quality (transmission is a little clunky, the clutch is a little obnoxious) and ...
I agree 100%...the driveline is my biggest (practically only) complaint with this car. I'd spend good money to have a clutch that engaged a bit smoother and a rear end that didn't clunk while I was parking.

It's a great car...but unlike some other cars I have and had, it sometimes makes me feel (and look) like a lousy driver.
Old 8/23/07, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

"The amount of attention these car get is incredible." That is true, whether in a positive light or negative. My 12 (almost 13) year-old son doesn't like me picking him up from middle school in the Mustang. I think it gets so many stares and looks, it embarrasses him. Some jealous kids may actually give him crap about his dad owning one. The new Mustang does that to people. Most love it, some like the looks of it but hate that some people own and drive them. Oh well...
Old 8/23/07, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

IUP for sure.