2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Problems with Paint

Search this Thread

Old 1/16/05, 02:18 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That definitely doesn't sound right.

Take it back to the dealer and have them look at it, they will probably give you a hard time about it, but it still should be checked out. Seems there could have been a problem with the paint and/or application process.

The paint peeling problem in the 80's was as a result of a flaw in the primer from the supplier. This problem was common on Ford and GM.
Old 1/16/05, 06:12 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Echo XO,

You state that this chipping is "all over" the car, are there any areas that are worse or any that don't seem to have been affected?

Also how long did you have the car before leaving Chicago and heading west? Did you notice this at all before "hitting" the interstate?

This is definitely a very serious concern, the paint quality at Auto Alliance is supposed be much better than at the old River Rouge plant. I'm anxious to hear what your dealer's body shop has to say. Please keep us posted. Thanks.

P.S.
I'd like to hear from anyone owning a 2005 Mustang how the paint on their car is holding up and also what color it is.
Old 1/16/05, 07:52 PM

Dark Horse,
I made the trip to California shortly after I accepted delivery. When I got to California, I washed the car and hit it with a coat of Maguire's gold class wax. I did have a couple of minute chips in the paint from the trip from Chicago, but nothing unusual. It was only within the last two weeks that the paint has just been chipping as bad as it has. We have had a lot of rain in California in the last two weeks, but I don't see how that could have been the cause. There wasn't even a whole lot of wind to accompany the rain. I have been putting a lot of miles on the car though. I just recently got married. I live in 29 Palms, CA while my wife was living in AZ and our wedding was in San Diego. Subsequently, I currently have 8 K on the car. I didn't really have any problems with the paint chipping until I'd say the last 500 miles. If there was a problem I didn't notice it. I also wash the car at least once a week, I've used Maguire's gold class wax at least 4 times, and I’ve used Maguire’s Crystal Paint cleaner to get out water spots and then an immediate coat of wax. As far as where the paint is chipping. It is the worst on the hood, but I also have chipping on the doors, the fenders, and a few spots on the hood. There isn't much of a problem on the rear end. I hope that the service department is open tomorrow on MLK day. I have the day off so I'll take it into the dealer tomorrow and let you know what happens tomorrow night.
Old 1/16/05, 08:12 PM
V6 Member

Hey Ryan,
Bummer man. I'd flip! I lived in So-Cal from 88-03 and went through many new vehicles while there. Never had problems like that. I lived at the beach, never garaged them and did a heck of alot of desert runs. A pitted windshield and a few chips over time are a given in that area but no way anything like that. One glance at your photo and "defect" instantly comes to mind. Hit a dealer up ASAP and stay on them. If all else fails mention the magic word; "lawyer". Works like a charm. Especially in Cali! Best of luck guy!
Old 1/16/05, 09:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Ichi@January 16, 2005, 9:15 PM
Hey Ryan,
Bummer man. I'd flip! I lived in So-Cal from 88-03 and went through many new vehicles while there. Never had problems like that. I lived at the beach, never garaged them and did a heck of alot of desert runs. A pitted windshield and a few chips over time are a given in that area but no way anything like that. One glance at your photo and "defect" instantly comes to mind. Hit a dealer up ASAP and stay on them. If all else fails mention the magic word; "lawyer". Works like a charm. Especially in Cali! Best of luck guy!
I smell a recall comin on here. Has anyone notified ford of these problems. It doesn't hurt to call.There just might be a problem witlh fords paint process, whether its the way the paint is baked,primed,spayed or mixed. Ford should take a look into the paint so they can correct the problem if any.
Old 1/16/05, 09:45 PM
FR500 Member

I have a black '05 GT, two months and 2200 miles. No paint problems.
Old 1/17/05, 06:27 AM
Cobra Member

I'm anxious to hear what the dealer says about the paint. I also wonder if paint continually gets worse in quality because of EPA requirements, or Ford cost-cutting. GTO owners are also complaining about the soft paint on their cars, and they are built in Australia. I think the problem may be industry wide, but your car's paint looks like it is 10+ years old. The paint chips look like they were caused by road debris hitting the car.

How is the windshield? Are there a lot of small chips in it too, or is the problem isolated to the paint?
Old 1/17/05, 06:14 PM

I went and talked to the dealer today and I noticed a few things that I hadn't before probably because I was too focused on the paint. I also have quite a few chips in my windshield and my head lamp covers. I think that the chips may very well be from the storm. If it was strong enough to put chips in my windshield then the paint chips are probably from sand and debris and not a paint problem. I know that all of the chips weren't there before the storm, but I just couldn't believe that the storm could have done this to the paint. Now that I've seen the chips in the windshield and also in the head lamp and fog lamp covers, I believe it probably was from the storm. Paint isn't as tough as a windshield and there are chips in that as well. I apologize if I stressed anyone out about their own car, but I guess I just didn't want to believe my 2 + month old car could have this much damage this soon. I did make a claim already on my insurance and this is all covered under my comprehensive, but I'm just frustrated that I have to break into the new paint in order to get all of this taken care of. I wonder how much extra to lay down some stripes?
Old 1/17/05, 06:28 PM
GT Member

I have had my black GT since October, Vin ending in 1580. No paint probs so far. I am sorry to hear about this.
Old 1/17/05, 06:36 PM
rex
Mach 1 Member

Go for the stripes at the same time as your repair....might not cost you a thing beyond your deductible... B)
Old 1/17/05, 07:32 PM
GT Member

Echo XO,

I guess I'm glad to hear it most likely isn't a paint problem, doesn't help you much but it seems you're getting the issue taken care of anyway.

Good luck on your new paint, post pics of it after it's repainted.

Are you thinking Shelby stripes or something different? Thanks.