2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Problems with Paint

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/05, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Let me preface this post with the W's. I have a black GT with VIN # ending 5035. I picked it up from the dealership on 4 November in Chicago. I currently live in 29 Palms, CA which is in the Mohave Desert. I drove the car cross country after I picked it up and have driven it in a dusty desert environment since. My GT is also my daily driver. I have had problems with the "check engine light" (sensor was disconnected in the crank case), I have had to get my airbag sensor in the passenger seat calibrated, and of course My Shaker 1000 CD player skips. These are all minor problems that can and have been fixed. Overall I have been very pleased with my car until recently. I have had problems with the paint on my GT. Again the color is black. I have had serious problems with water spots. Water spots that wouldn't come off with just car wash, or wax, or detailer. I use all Maguireā€™s products. I was able to get the water spots off with the Maguireā€™s crystal paint cleaner though. It has just become a pain to repeat this process every time it rains if I don't immediately dry the car or use the quick detailer. Anyway above and beyond all of this, my car's paint has been chipping off everywhere. I don't mean that the paint is scratching easily. I mean the paint is chipping off right down to the steel. I have chips all over the car. Granted I have driven the car on the highway quite a bit and the weather has been bad in California the last 2 weeks, but my 3 month old Mustang has at least 5 times the amount of paint chips as my 8 year old Saturn. I'll take pictures tomorrow and post them so you have some idea of what I'm talking about. My question is whether or not anyone else is having a similar problem with their paint. I can understand some chips in the paint, but what I have is ridiculous. I will be taking the car into Ford next week; I just hope that paint is covered under the warranty. I know it isn't covered under all warranties. I don't know if maybe the car wasn't sanded down well before it was painted or if maybe it wasn't cured properly, but it is just not sticking to the car. No kidding, the paint is scratched off from where a palm tree branch hit it during the storm last week. I don't mean the paint is scratched, the palm took it right off. Anyway, if anyone can give me some feed back on this I'd really appreciate it and I'll keep the forum updated on what Ford has to say next week.

Edit: Pictures are at bottom of page 1
Old 1/14/05, 11:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Echo_XO@January 15, 2005, 12:01 AM
Let me preface this post with the W's. I have a black GT with vin # ending 5035. I picked it up from the dealership on 4 November in Chicago. I currently live in 29 Palms, CA which is in the Mohave desert. I drove the car cross country after I picked it up and have driven it in a dusty desert environment since. My GT is also my daily driver. I have had problems with the "check engine light" (sensor was disconnected in the crank case), I have had to get my airbag sensor in the passenger seat calibrated, and of course My Shaker 1000 CD player skips. These are all minor problems that can and have been fixed. Overall I have been very pleased with my car until recently. I have had problems with the paint on my GT. Again the color is black. I have had serious problems with water spots. Water spots that wouldn't come off with just car wash, or wax, or detailer. I use all meguires products. I was able to get the water spots off with the Meguires crystal paint cleaner though. It has just become a pain to repeat this process every time it rains if I don't immediately dry the car or use the quick detailer. Anyway above and beyond all of this, my car's paint has been chipping off everywhere. I don't mean that the paint is scratching easily. I mean the paint is chipping off right down to the steel. I have chips all over the car. Granted I have driven the car on the highway quite a bit and the weather has been bad in California the last 2 weeks, but my 3 month old Mustang has at least 5 times the amount of paint chips as my 8 year old Saturn. I'll take pictures tomorrow and post them so you have some idea of what I'm talking about. My question is whether or not anyone else is having a similar problem with their paint. I can understand some chips in the paint, but what I have is ridiculous. I will be taking the car into Ford next week, I just hope that paint is covered under the warantee. I know it isn't covered under all warantees. I don't know if maybe the car wasn't sanded down well before it was painted or if maybe it wasn't cured properly, but it is just not sticking to the car. No kidding, the paint is scratched off from where a palm tree branch hit it during the storm last week. I don't mean the paint is scratched, the palm took it right off. Anyway, if anyone can give me some feed back on this I'd really appreciate it and I'll keep the forum updated on what Ford has to say next week.
This is the only reason I am not getting black to be honest.. I have heard of horror stories regarding the orange peel debate with the black paint ford puts on their cars..

White on the other hand doesn't have such problems , or so I have heard. I think it is more the thinner paint ford uses in the black, not all their different paints are so thin .. JMO and what I have heard through the grapevine .
Old 1/14/05, 11:41 PM
GT Member

Well if u drove the car from chicago to california when the car is only a couple months old that might be a problem with the paint cuz the car was just made and maybe the paint isnt that well setted or something..
Old 1/15/05, 12:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have noticed some flaking on my car also and I must say, it's a little troubling!

At first I noticed a cluster of about five small chips on one side of my rear bumper. Same thing that you described, right down to the metal. I thought, maybe my dogs were rough-housing and one of them may have bumped into the Car with their collar. Then I noticed the same situation on the right side of my hood toward the windshield, smaller chips, but right down to the metal. This is in no way do too anything like road debree etc etc. In fact, in all my years of owning Black Mustangs (3 of them), this is probably the most unlikely spot for a chip to happen from Rock's or what have you. This weekend I'm going to give the car a real good inspection, I haven't had the time as of late.

I guess I'll just have to hope that I don't see anything else because driving my 05 is the one time in the day when I'm in complete peace. I really don't need another thing to worry about! B)
Old 1/15/05, 12:28 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have two pin size rock chips on my hood but I will cover up with the GT350 Stripes.

Tuesday. B)
Old 1/15/05, 12:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by incorrigible@January 15, 2005, 1:25 AM
I have noticed some flaking on my car also and I must say, it's a little troubling!

At first I noticed a cluster of about five small chips on one side of my rear bumper. Same thing that you descibed, right down to the metal. I thought, maybe my dogs were rough-housing and one of them may have bumped into the Car with their collar. Then I noticed the same situation on the right side of my hood toward the windshield, smaller chips, but right down to the metal. This is in no way do too anything like road debree etc etc. In fact, in all my years of owning Black Mustangs (3 of them), this is probably the most unlikely spot for a chip to happen from Rock's or what have you. This weekend I'm going to give the car a real good inspection, I haven't had the time as of late.

I guess I'll just have to hope that I don't see anything else because driving my 05 is the one time in the day when I'm in complete peace. I really don't need another thing to worry about! B)
Is it possible for the paint not to be cured all the way?????? Black is my color of choice . I have had no problems with my black 95 cobra, only slight scatches. Not bad for a 10 year old car. Could this be a flaw in the paint mixture or the baking process at the plant?? Now that this topic has been started I hope all the Black 05 owners post the conditions of the Black paint .
I believe ford had a paint flaking or chipping recall on Blk nmustangs in the mid 80's. Man I'm getting OLD!
Old 1/15/05, 12:37 AM
GT Member

I want to see the Pictures also. If the black is having trouble then. Then I'm steering clear of ordering a black GT. But are any other colors having chipping, peeling affects at all??
Old 1/15/05, 12:40 AM

I'll post pictures tomorrow. It was too dark to take any decent pics by the time I got home tonight.
Old 1/15/05, 01:14 AM
Bullitt Member

black GT, 3000 miles.No chipping at all so far.Waxed it once with meguiars and after a rain all i have to do is wash it to get it looking like it was just waxed.
Old 1/15/05, 01:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Domainer@January 15, 2005, 12:29 AM
White on the other hand doesn't have such problems , or so I have heard. I think it is more the thinner paint ford uses in the black, not all their different paints are so thin .. JMO and what I have heard through the grapevine .
Dont know about chips in white...but i have seen two white models at two different dealers...one was perfect,while the other one was orange peel from h***...i was kinda shocked when i saw the orange peel also,because normally white doesn't have very much,or at least it doesn't show...
Old 1/15/05, 05:36 AM
GT Member

I don't own a black, but can tell you that I had a deep chip in my right front quarter panel on the day that I took delivery. I was bothered by it, and have since use touch-up paint. If I had lived in the city where I bought it from (I'm 200 miles away) I would have refused delivery until they repainted the entire panel.

I have not noticed any unusual paint chipping beyond that. I hope that your situation is resolved by your dealer locally. I can say I had a huge problem with my car (Axle Noise) and it was resolved by my dealer (not the one I bought from) without incident.

Best of luck to you, I know how frustrated you must feel.

Jim
Old 1/15/05, 07:33 AM
rex
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 2005muzzy@January 15, 2005, 1:39 AM
I believe ford had a paint flaking or chipping recall on Blk nmustangs in the mid 80's. Man I'm getting OLD!
I bought a new 86 Mustang in December 85 and by Jan 86 the paint was starting to chip on the hood....as you drove down the road paint chips would actually appear on the windshield!! Stupid me didn't report it to the dealer until the warranty was out....over the course of the next few years that paint literally unattached itself from every portion of the car except the bumper fascias. The car was a silver blue much like todays WB blue...Over the years I noticed several blue and silver Mustangs of this vintage with the same problem.
Old 1/15/05, 07:40 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I don't know if this is your first black car but the waterspots is expected. If you just wash it or it just stopped raining and the sun comes out and you live in a a hot climate you will get water spots, which on the top of the car are a real pain to remove. My wife has a 97 Grand Am which is black and I have had 9 black cars. I tell her all the time, don't wash the car in the sun. Well 1 day she did and didn't dry it. I went out and found that in a few spots the clearcoat had cracked.

As for the paint flaking. Sounds to me like someone didn't do a good job prepping the car. Take that baby back to FORD and have them deal with it asap.
Old 1/15/05, 08:02 AM
FR500 Member

I can't say anything that already hasn't been said about the chipping issue, but I will say that since you are in the desert southwest, one thing that you should NEVER do is allow water from the tap to touch that car. We have extemely hard water in these parts, so much so that untreated water straight from the tap will ruin your paint, it will leave water spots that are full of calcium carbonate and are just about impossible to remove.

Most people here just go to the car wash, here in Metro Phoenix most of them are brushless and/or touchless so there isn't the concern of the infamous car wash damage. Such places might be hard to find in 29 Palms, but the do it yourself places use distilled/filtered water which is fine as well.
Old 1/15/05, 08:22 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by BullittMustang50@January 15, 2005, 1:40 AM
I want to see the Pictures also. If the black is having trouble then. Then I'm steering clear of ordering a black GT. But are any other colors having chipping, peeling affects at all??
I have the Windveil Blue paint, no defects have cropped up with it. I must wash the thing at least twice a week and I have noted no chips of any kind. I have had the car about a month and a half now.
Old 1/15/05, 09:54 AM

try the Mr. Clean auto wash i have been testing it on my 98 stang for awhile now in preps for my black stang and it filters the water nicely makes the bubbles smaller and even keeps water spots off my windows.
Old 1/15/05, 11:27 AM

Here is a picture of the hood. It is pretty sunny and there is a reflection on the hood so look closely. That is not dust on the hood. Prior to taking the pictures I dusted and used quick detailer to get the dust off. All the little specs in the picture are chips in the paint right down to the steel.
Old 1/15/05, 11:30 AM

here is another picture
Old 1/15/05, 11:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

holy CRAP! i got a black GT too on order. if that happens im gonna raise all sorts of heck
Old 1/15/05, 11:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Have there been any high wind advisories? Sand + High Wind= stripped paint. I used to live in North Palm Springs. The Wind Mills are in that location for a reason...they generate power! And there's always a strong wind current through that valley.

Quick Reply: Problems with Paint