2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12/3/04, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure most of these have been discussed in individual threads, but I would like to get a combined thread with everyone who is experiencing these problems to take to the dealership. (and any resolutions)

1. Radio resets on its own turning the clock back to 12, and if on cds it puts it back on the radio.
2. Knocking noise during deceleration.
3. Breaks squeeking
4. When turning a loud noise, almost like something is rubbing (I haven't changed my tires or anything)
5. anything else you might have experienced.

Thanks
Old 12/3/04, 07:06 PM
FR500 Member

i test drove the car and tried EVERYTHING i had no problems...heard nothing.....and cd player worked perfect.....take it to ford
Old 12/3/04, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

B) The GT is my wife's, But on the occassions I get time to it I drive it like it was stolen.
CD and radio work fine (Shaker 500) and no unexpeceted noises. No problems. Take it to the dealer
Old 12/3/04, 08:15 PM
FR500 Member

'O' problems so far, 700 miles. Sounds like your "Shaker" has a mind of it's own.
Old 12/3/04, 09:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sqeaking and the ETC(suspected culprit) hiccup here.

Jason
Old 12/3/04, 10:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

my shaker cd player does not work at all
Old 12/6/04, 07:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
No problems with almost 700 miles on it.
Old 12/6/04, 07:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

My shaker 500 will eject the cd if I push the "next track" arrow button several times too fast. It's not too user friendly, however it will play and shuffle without problems. I have 410 miles on it so far and the squeaky dash problem went away. I just got it waxed for the first time over the weekend and I must say the paint is perfect on mine. Can't wait to get some more mile on it. :drive:
Old 12/7/04, 04:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

I sure hope Ford can address it's quality issues F-A-S-T. It needs to be BETTER than the imports if it's going to remain competitive. The following article is sobering (and a little scary in its implications):

Big Three in Canada redefined as Honda tops Ford

Japanese firm cranking out cars

By GREG KEENAN
AUTO INDUSTRY REPORTER

Tuesday, December 7, 2004 - Page B1

Ford Motor Co. of Canada Ltd. will drop out of third spot in vehicle production in Canada this year and be supplanted by Honda of Canada Mfg., in another illustration that the changes rippling through the North American industry are ending a century of Big Three domination.

Ford is also unlikely to reverse that trend any time soon, because its Oakville Assembly Plant is expected to slash production dramatically from year-earlier levels in the first half of 2005, industry and union officials said.

The rise of Honda as No. 3 is "a very significant signpost of where the industry is going," said analyst Felix Pilorusso, head of Toronto-based Pilorusso Consulting Inc.

With two weeks left before auto makers shut their plants for the annual Christmas break, Honda's operations in Alliston, Ont., have cranked out 369,807 cars, sport utility vehicles and minivans. Ford has produced 352,192 cars, minivans and pickup trucks, and one of its two remaining assembly plants is operating at half its usual output this month, so Honda is certain to remain ahead.

That will put the Japan-based auto maker in third place in the rankings behind General Motors of Canada Ltd. and the Chrysler division of DaimlerChrysler AG, and mark the first time the Big Three have not been the Big Three.

Ford's production decline this year is related in part to woeful sales of the Ford Freestar and Monterey minivans assembled in Oakville, Ont. Those sales have left inventories in the range of 100 days, compared with the industry's preferred number of about 60 days' supply, and led the auto maker to eliminate one daily shift of operations this month. Normal production comprises two shifts a day.

Industry sources and union officials said the production cutback is scheduled to continue in the first six months of 2005, with one shift producing minivans two weeks a month and the other shift working the other two weeks, said Gary Beck, president of local 707 of the Canadian Auto Workers union, which represents about 3,800 workers at the plant.

Another 212 are on temporary layoff.

"Obviously there's not enough demand for minivans," Mr. Beck said.

Ford won't reveal details of its 2005 production plans yet, spokeswoman Lauren More said yesterday.

The permanent shutdown earlier this year of Ford's Ontario Truck Plant, also in Oakville, and periodic shutdowns of its St. Thomas, Ont., assembly plant, which turns out full-sized sedans, have also contributed to the decline in the auto maker's production.

It all stems from a steady slide in the company's market share that began in the mid-1990s and has continued through the first half of this decade.

Ford's share has tumbled to 13.9 per cent in Canada this year from 18.2 per cent in 2000, and to 18.5 per cent in the United States from 22.8 per cent.

The Big Three's share of the passenger car market has fallen to less than 50 per cent in both the U.S. and Canadian markets. Honda and its Japanese-based rivals, as well as European-based auto makers are also taking dead aim at the Big Three's remaining profitable segments, trucks and sport utility vehicles.

Honda now holds 9.4 per cent of Canadian sales and 8.2 per cent of the U.S. market. That compares with 8.7 per cent in 2000 in Canada and 6.7 per cent in the United States.

The steady increases in production at Honda -- and also at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada Inc. in Cambridge, Ont. -- are part of the reason Ontario will supplant Michigan this year as the largest auto-producing jurisdiction in North America, said Dennis DesRosiers, president of DesRosiers Automotive Consultants Inc. of Richmond Hill, Ont.

Mr. DesRosiers traces that back to smart policy decisions made in the 1980s that led to Honda and Toyota building assembly plants in the province.

"Many of the American states viewed the import nameplates as bad guys -- certainly Michigan did," he said.

But because Canada's auto manufacturing was already dominated by foreign-based companies -- Detroit-based Chrysler, Ford and GM -- policy makers had no reason to fear Honda and Toyota.

"We viewed them as equal to everybody in the marketplace," Mr. DesRosiers said.

Ford will soon start a $1-billion redevelopment of its Oakville site to turn it into a leading-edge, flexible assembly operation, but the new plant won't begin turning out two new SUVs until 2006.

Both Joe Hinrichs, who takes over as Ford Canada president on Jan. 1, and current president Alain Batty have pointed to the loss of market share as something that needs to be addressed.

They say new products such as the Ford Mustang sports car, Freestyle crossover utility vehicle, Five Hundred full-size sedan and others to come next year will help reverse the trend.

But analysts aren't convinced, given that sales of the Freestyle and Five Hundred haven't met their expectations in the first few months.

"Our concern is that Ford's new products may be cannibalizing existing vehicles, rather than helping the company regain market share," analyst Rod Lache, who follows the industry for Deutsche Bank AG in New York, said in a note to clients last week.

Meanwhile, Honda and other offshore-based companies aren't standing still.

Industry sources said Honda has already increased planned production next year of a new sport utility truck to 80,000 from an original 65,000. The truck will be produced in Alliston.
Old 12/7/04, 08:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

The only problem with my Shaker 500 is that every once in a while, a CD skips for a second.

The primary problems I'm having with my Stang are a few rattles inside of the cabin. The worst rattle is in the dash, behind the two center A/C vents. I also have had a rattle (or clicking) within the gauges, but that seems to have gone away. In addition, when my manual shifter is in first and third gears, there is a rubbing sound (worst in first gear).

I also have one other problem. I only hear this when I'm inside of a parking garage. When I am making a right turn, I hear a clicking sound from the area of my left front tire (almost like a baseball card in between a bike's spokes). I'm not sure if this is similar to your problem #4 cdemot02.

The noise that I experience during deceleration is a whining noise. My '99 GT & '02 GT had this same problem, and other individuals on this board have mentioned the same phenomenon.

I've had no problems with my brakes.
Old 12/7/04, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cars come with a warranty for a reason. Use it!
Old 12/7/04, 08:54 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by CA Stang@December 7, 2004, 9:20 AM

I also have one other problem. I only hear this when I'm inside of a parking garage. When I am making a right turn, I hear a clicking sound from the area of my left front tire (almost like a baseball card in between a bike's spokes). I'm not sure if this is similar to your problem #4 cdemot02.
Seriously, that's usually a nail in your tire or a rock stuck in your tread. I've heard that many times when living on dirt roads.
Old 12/7/04, 09:13 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Robert@December 7, 2004, 6:23 AM
I sure hope Ford can address it's quality issues F-A-S-T. It needs to be BETTER than the imports if it's going to remain competitive.
?

Except for a goofball design of the ashtray lid on the 91 I've never had big quality issues with both my mustangs. I kept roasting automatics in the 91 (read sevre abuse of the DOA), otherwise they have both been very good automobiles (that I dont handle gently either).

I think the success of import brands has less to do with the overall quality of the vehicles produced and has more to do with brand loyalty and reputation.

The Big Three made huge mistakes from the outset (I cannot comment on the quality of cars before the 60's since I havent personally been around to many unrestored examples), but the mantra was "produce large volumes at cheap prices to make money", couple this with emmissions mandates that really stymied the industry in the 70's combined with the gas crunch along with big boat mentality and it created ideal invironment for the proliferation of import brands (speaking mostly of Japanese) Alot of people bought them and were impressed with what they got for thier money in comparison to the dross offered by the hometown gang.

When the hometown guys finally got their act together it was to late. The import guys were set in the trenches and when the import guys started to procreate, they passed on thier import guy values to the import young.

So now in the new millenium, the big three are becoming the wee three err two.

Me perosnally, I've seen equally as bad or worse from the pacific rim. Case in point - Mitsubishi - To say I am unimpressed with the quality of a mitsubishi is an understatement in the least.

My brother works for an import autoparts place. Ask him and its mitsu and Honda (the latter especially plagued with electrical gremlins and who's supplier he likens to the asian version of Lucas). He'll tell you don't buy anything but a toyota or a subaru if your going to buy asian.

Is it bad that the possibility of the american industry goes the way of the english industry? Depends I suppose from a nationalisitc standpoint as well as an emotional one (I would cut my throat before I'd buy a mitsu mustang, and a honda or toyota or a subaru stang or a BMW stang will never ever be a Ford Mustang). Ultimately buisiness is like evolution, you adapt and change in time or die out. A worse tragedy would be to support the industry through BS regulation and governmental welfare (which btw every single taxpayer contributes to but gains nothing much if anything in return).
Old 12/7/04, 09:32 AM
FR500 Member

My brakes were squealing (front and back). Went into the dealer and got all the pads changed and now I have no problems. Perfectly quiet. The only problem I have is a popping noise when turning. Probably something to do with the springs. I will bring it in for that when I have time... it's just not that annoying yet.
Old 12/7/04, 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

500 miles and no problems yet.
Old 12/7/04, 09:52 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My shaker 1000 head unit hates cd's with a passion. It has more issues than a highschool cheerleader on prom night.

It ejects cd's saying they are "Bad CD", but then I put it back in and it works fine. Turn off the car, start the car and I either get "Bad CD" or it skips then plays the song again with no issue. All the cd's are burnt. I have tried 4 different cd manufacturers and have tried both mp3 format and standard audio. All discs have no scratches.

Alot of people are having this issue. I have informed my dealer about it and said "Don't replace it yet. I want to wait until FORD has new version to fix all of these issues".

I wasn't planning on replacing the head unit. OK I lied. I was going to replace it and changed my mind before getting the car. Now I think I am back to ordering an aftermarket head unit.
Old 12/7/04, 09:53 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by acadian@December 7, 2004, 10:35 AM
My brakes were squealing (front and back). Went into the dealer and got all the pads changed and now I have no problems. Perfectly quiet. The only problem I have is a popping noise when turning. Probably something to do with the springs. I will bring it in for that when I have time... it's just not that annoying yet.
I hear a loud popping noise once when turning. Have not heard it since.
Old 12/7/04, 09:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

The only problem I have noticed so far is that my Shaker 500 sometimes skips when playing regular CDs for no particular reason. I have not yet tried an MP3 cd but I will soon. I am not overly concerned though b/c I know I will be replacing the head unit within the next year or so. If it becomes too much of a problem in the meantime I will take it to Ford.
Old 12/7/04, 10:17 AM
GT Member

I had a problem with my gas tank vent at 280 miles. They replaced the gas tank and no new issues. I am at 450 miles now.

Quick Reply: Problems