2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

price negotiation

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/04, 12:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can i negotiate prices with my dealer or get any rebates?
Old 9/15/04, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

No rebates...
Negotiation is a possibility, it varies from dealer to dealer.
Old 9/15/04, 12:54 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
C&D had a brief article in this months magazine on car buying, might be worth analyzing.
Old 9/15/04, 01:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
It never hurts to ask. From the sounds of the posts in here, I would think most people would get below MSRP.
Old 9/15/04, 01:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If this car takes off like a rocket, some people may get lucky getting a discounted pre-order, they may be hotter then people think. After the first intital pre-sold batches go out it may get a little nuts. Depends on the public reaction to seeing them on the road. Ironically the people that order the first ones may get better pricing then anyone else for the first few months.
Old 9/15/04, 01:07 PM
FR500 Member

check that huge 9 page article on edmunds.com where that guy went undercover for 10 months as a car salesman it teaches u alotta good tips..............its the best thing ive done and ive also tried some things out and the dealers r just baffled when u have more info than them. im goin to the dealership in the springtime with a folder of all the prices and options and a calculator
Old 9/15/04, 01:09 PM
GT Member

I guess Kevin is right, I have been hearing about dealers marking up the price.
I want to act soon and order one today or tomorrow, I am actually in the process of negotiating and have a quote for 500 over invoice.
Most likely I will finalize this deal !!!!
Old 9/15/04, 01:28 PM

I was curious about this as well. I’m sure negotiation will be harder if their is high demand. That’s why I want things to cool off for a bit before I buy, I have never bought a car that was over dealer invoice and don’t ever plan to. Their invoice bullpoo is nothing but smoke and mirrors. The last new car a got I purchased at 400 below invoice, and that was only a $15,000 MSRP Honda civic. On vehicles over 20,000 I have never taken a deal unless they cut of at least three grand off the price.

But then again im kind of an hiney when it comes to dealing with car salesmen as I think there is no lower form of life. Just don’t let them pressure you, I love turning the tables and pressuring them. I once called another car dealership right in front of the salesman and started negotiating on the same model of car I was looking at. This was after the guy had already invested two hours of time into me. I have never seen some one sweat so much. He bowed down to me like is was his daddy :worship:
Old 9/15/04, 01:33 PM
GT Member

Script, you in trouble now man.
There a few sales people on this site, and let me tell you they are very nice people. Thanks to them I have a lot of info on the car (pricing included)
I was in a battle with the in one of my previous threads and all I had mentioned was I wanted to buy the car for Invoice.
Good luck handling this thread dude.
Old 9/15/04, 01:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

A good example is the Hybrid escapes, we have taken all the orders at MSRP. IF one is declined, it goes to the highest bidder, I have one guy who wants to pay 25k over sticker for an available one-They want HOV privliges with AWD. Like any hot car or say a Harley Davidson, people will pay more for one they can walk away with on the spot. You cant tell a vehicle's hype untill its out on the public roads. A car like PT or MINI or Miata were all-new vehicles, everyone knows what a mustang is, so its not as hyped in pre-production like those were. But after they roll with tons of advertising, who knows.
Old 9/15/04, 02:06 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it will be tough to score an invoice type deal initially.

I am probably going to order in the next month or so, so we'll see what happens when I make an offer.
Old 9/15/04, 02:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Galaxie@September 15, 2004, 3:09 PM
I think it will be tough to score an invoice type deal initially.

I am probably going to order in the next month or so, so we'll see what happens when I make an offer.
You would have to find a dealership with both a sales and manager staff with severe brain damage for an invoice deal unless they are holding back $3000 or so on your trade value.
Old 9/15/04, 03:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by kevinb120@September 15, 2004, 1:08 PM
If this car takes off like a rocket, some people may get lucky getting a discounted pre-order, they may be hotter then people think. After the first intital pre-sold batches go out it may get a little nuts. Depends on the public reaction to seeing them on the road. Ironically the people that order the first ones may get better pricing then anyone else for the first few months.
Kevin, I agree with you that it is a little bit odd that the people who pre-ordered may have gotten a discounted order, as compared to those people who will order/buy after the launch. On the other hand, the folks that pre-ordered put down payments on a car they have not seen, had not sit in, had not driven, and did not know the price of. Many of us also helped our dealers learn more about the car in the process (many of us brought in the first order guides for the dealership). We are people of faith ! In a small way, perhaps this is a reward for that faith. B)

Edit (another thought): Those of us who pre-ordered also owe a great debt of thanks to this site, and folks like Kevin and BEK for giving us inside information, and for helping guide us through the order/purchase. You helped increase our faith quotient.
Old 9/15/04, 04:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Yesterday i went to my dealer and showed him the print off of the prices, he said he didnt have it yet, called me back today and told me the price, which was different than what i calculated because he said i hadnt inclued the fee for advertising and $20 for gasoline. And then he went on to say that these prices may increase by the time my order gets in??? Is this even possible?
Old 9/15/04, 04:16 PM
GT Member

I saw the same advertisement fee and the gas charge on the fax sent to me by two dealerships.
Kevin, is that that customer has to pay that charge, as I am working with the Invoice price and not the MSRP??
Is this charge already rolled in with the MSRP???

Thanks
Old 9/15/04, 04:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Script said:

"I was curious about this as well. I’m sure negotiation will be harder if their is high demand. That’s why I want things to cool off for a bit before I buy, I have never bought a car that was over dealer invoice and don’t ever plan to. Their invoice bullpoo is nothing but smoke and mirrors. The last new car a got I purchased at 400 below invoice, and that was only a $15,000 MSRP Honda civic. On vehicles over 20,000 I have never taken a deal unless they cut of at least three grand off the price.

But then again im kind of an hiney when it comes to dealing with car salesmen as I think there is no lower form of life. Just don’t let them pressure you, I love turning the tables and pressuring them. I once called another car dealership right in front of the salesman and started negotiating on the same model of car I was looking at. This was after the guy had already invested two hours of time into me. I have never seen some one sweat so much. He bowed down to me like is was his daddy"

:bang:

You know, I told myself not to even open this thread. I am not even going to argue, but as I've said before, buying a car is a two way street. Who is worse?

I now see it is only his third post, so I'll try not to take it too personally.
Old 9/15/04, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

I understand buying a car is a two way street. And, i have no problem with my salesman whatsoever, I just was wondering if ford had the option to change the price of a line of vehicles, after official pricing has come out. And if they do, what the likelihood of that happening would be.
Old 9/15/04, 04:46 PM
GT Member

Hi Kev,

Thanks for all of your insight.

How much do dealers take into account existing customers?

I have done all my service work on my ford, at the dealership the last 5 years (several thousand and mounting), I am keeping my ford explorer along with the mustang.

I would think that with the 2 cars, and history of dealer provided service, suggests the high likelihood of continuing service over a protracted period.

I was advised, in passing by my salesperson, that I would be looking at MSRP. :bang: Let's face it, at MSRP, it does not feel like win / win, in any sense. When I placed the order, the salesmen indicated that he would think the price would be 3 - 4% over last year's. (this seemed to work out when the price sheets appeared) I can't imagine there were many MSRP deals on '04. Am i missing something?

$500 over invoice certainly would seem reasonable, and a win/win from the buyer's side. (is this a reasonable profit for the dealer). Although a few people might be closer to invoice, I would not expect that in a major metro area such as DC. Likewise, MSRP would feel like no value is placed on the customer, and would certainly taint my future allegiance. I would think the dealer would be taking advantage of the short term pricing bubble, at the expense of a long term customer.

What are your thoughts?
Old 9/15/04, 04:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by OSUstangfan@September 15, 2004, 6:29 PM
I understand buying a car is a two way street. And, i have no problem with my salesman whatsoever, I just was wondering if ford had the option to change the price of a line of vehicles, after official pricing has come out. And if they do, what the likelihood of that happening would be.
I am sorry. My post was not in response to your question. I think your confusion on the price is just miscommunication with your dealer. Ford will not change the price, although they can and do have price increases through out the year. Your dealer is just adding some fees that Ford charges on the invoice.
Old 9/15/04, 04:50 PM
Bullitt Member

This should give ya a general idea of what people have been getting their mustangs for.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=500569

Quick Reply: price negotiation