2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-Order...

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/04, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I would like to pre-order the new Stang does this mean that I can not negotiate the price? Does this mean, whatever the price is, is? This will be my first new car and I was wanting everything I WANT IT, not the way the dealer wants it...so my question is, if I pre-order am I stuck at the hi-jacked price?
Old 5/9/04, 07:24 PM
Banned

If they are charging more than sticker, go to another dealer.
Old 5/9/04, 07:31 PM
Bullitt Member

So is it possible to get below MSRP? What about first time buyer rebates and FORD trade in values...do these count towads this? I have never done this before...BUYING a built the way I want car, how exactly does it go...do you just walk in and say I want this, this, this...?
Old 5/9/04, 08:17 PM
V6 Member

If your family bought a Ford at that dealer before, try to get a customer loyalty rebate.

Be careful!!!! I got screwed once!

I was one of the first people to order one of the new 1983 Mustang convertibles. I ordered it first day in september of 82 and by January of 83 I found out (with a call to Ford in detroit) that the dealer ended up selling my ordered car to someone eles who was willing to pay over sticker price for it. The dealer then just reordered another Mustang converible the same way for me. I had to wait until April to get it! So be careful "everyone" in finding a dealer you can trust!

Cause I am sure some people will be willing to pay thousands over sticker for the first 05 Mustangs. And a shady dealer will sell your odered car out from under you . Ford in detroit told me at the time they do not have control over what dealerships do!
Old 5/9/04, 08:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch, that's low. A dealer shouldn't be allowed to do that. But then again if there were a contract or something, there'd be no way for the person who ordered it to back out of the deal. Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.
Old 5/9/04, 09:12 PM
Banned

Actually, if you are paying a $500 (refundable) deposit on the car, which is common practice, you should be all set.

Yes basically you get the order sheet (5-17 or TBD, we'll find out in a week), go into the dealer, and pick out what you want. He enters in it, and it goes into the queue. Then come production, your car gets built. On your end you are giving usually $500 as a deposit on the car, which is fully refundable.

Then you just wait (and wait and wait and wait)

ONLY 121 days until Job 1!!!!
Old 5/9/04, 09:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you put money down on the car have it in writing on the order form that the dealership has within a certain time frame to deliver the car to you, say 12 weeks max. This way you will get no crap about getting your deposit back when you decide to go to another dealer.
Old 5/9/04, 10:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The general consensus we've been getting from the other dealers in the area-expect to pay MSRP for a while.
Old 5/9/04, 10:16 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I still say your in a worse bargining position when you negotiate a deal on the car before the pricing has been released.

My advice is to wait for pricing, confer with us on this site (you know we'll be discussing markup, options etc.), come to a conclusion about a fair price for the car and THEN go to the dealer.

$0.02
Old 5/9/04, 10:18 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by kevinb120@May. 10th, 2004, 12:14 AM
The general consensus we've been getting from the other dealers in the area-expect to pay MSRP for a while.
I can understand that especially for the first few months (ie. till December), but I'm sure if Ford is planning to sell 180,000 of these things, the dealers are going to have to meet customers halfway.
Old 5/9/04, 10:23 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Dan@May. 9th, 2004, 9:19 PM
My advice is to wait for pricing, confer with us on this site (you know we'll be discussing markup, options etc.), come to a conclusion about a fair price for the car and THEN go to the dealer.

$0.02
Thats what I like to hear...!

(expecially since I dont know what options/markups are really worth, and most of you probably do somewhat. The people that currently own mustangs )
Old 5/9/04, 10:30 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by AgentJ+May. 10th, 2004, 12:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AgentJ @ May. 10th, 2004, 12:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dan@May. 9th, 2004, 9:19 PM

$0.02
Thats what I like to hear...!

(expecially since I dont know what options/markups are really worth, and most of you probably do somewhat. The people that currently own mustangs ) [/b][/quote]
That and the fact that we'll probably have the invoice sheet for each option so we'll know how much it cost the dealer. The tricky part is deciding how much someone should pay for a certain car given several factors such as time of the year (and proximity to Job 1), supply, demand etc. etc.

People who buy stangs will also post up the final deal which will give us a good indication what people are paying for the new stang.

This messageboard will be extremely valuable for people looking to buy the new car.
Old 5/9/04, 10:33 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Dano,

totally agree...
you are better off konwing as much as possilbe about pricing and what options you can get so that you can walk into the dealership knowing what is going on and you don't get upselled or end up with a car you can't afford or things you didn't want.

this board will be GOLD when it is time to buy
Old 5/9/04, 10:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

What about Vin #'s?

If you are pre-ordering, how early will your order be assigned a vin#. Since computers are a little more linked than, say in '82, it seems it would be easier to track the progress of YOUR car once a Vin is assigned.

Any thought?
Old 5/9/04, 10:58 PM
GT Member

Like a Fed-Ex tracking number?
Old 5/9/04, 11:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by derynf@May. 9th, 2004, 10:58 PM
What about Vin #'s?

If you are pre-ordering, how early will your order be assigned a vin#. Since computers are a little more linked than, say in '82, it seems it would be easier to track the progress of YOUR car once a Vin is assigned.

Any thought?
I believe the dealer can get the VIN and build info when available. My dealer was supposed to tell me this stuff but "forgot to call".

The time to wait for the car to be built and delivered depends on the order priority code that the dealer enters upon sending the order in. The dealer I usually buy from is a big dealership that sells cars like crazy so he can usually get a Mustang in six weeks. I don't remember the actual priority codes?

Maybe Kevin could explain in more detail. B)
Old 5/9/04, 11:07 PM
GT Member

<OT Question> Is it a good idea to know someone at your local dealer?...

And even if you are planning on going through your insurance company or persons?....
Old 5/9/04, 11:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

The VIN is generated RIGHT before the vehicle is made. It can be awhile before you get a vin on a new model. Once they are under full swing, of course, it takes less time(about 2-3 weeks for a VIN, overall about 6-7 weeks total time for the car is average)
Old 5/9/04, 11:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Dan@May. 9th, 2004, 11:19 PM
I still say your in a worse bargining position when you negotiate a deal on the car before the pricing has been released.

$0.02
Thats completely pointless. The order itself and the price are two different matters. On a new release vehicle if you can truly "build-order" before pricing is available it will be kind of strange, when the price lists are released, they include MSRP and INVOICE and DEALER COST(minus hold back, it even figures for how much of the holdback per option) on EVERY single option. It is correct within a dollar per car usually.
Old 5/9/04, 11:30 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by kevinb120+May. 10th, 2004, 1:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kevinb120 @ May. 10th, 2004, 1:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dan@May. 9th, 2004, 11:19 PM

$0.02
Thats completely pointless. The order itself and the price are two different matters. On a new release vehicle if you can truly "build-order" before pricing is available it will be kind of strange, when the price lists are released, they include MSRP and INVOICE and DEALER COST(minus hold back, it even figures for how much of the holdback per option) on EVERY single option. It is correct within a dollar per car usually. [/b][/quote]
Sorry, I don't quite follow what you're saying Kev?

How can you negotiate an actual price (not x% below MSRP) on something you don't have prices for?

Also, if you've committed an order sheet to a dealer and decide to negotiate price after, are you not in a worse bargining position than if you come to the dealer, info. in hand? I think so.

I say order the car after the price list is available so that both you and the salesman can crunch actual numbers.