2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Possible Shaftmasters Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/10, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Possible Shaftmasters Group Buy

B]UPDATE: I was able to get in touch with Shaftmasters and they are not currently interested in negotiating a group buy. The next thing to do is contact Powerhouse and see if they are interested in the matter. Thank you for interest.[/B]

Alright, I don't know about anybody else around here, but lately I have been itching to upgrade my 38 pound 2 piece steel driveshaft to a 18 pound 1-piece aluminum driveshaft, so I am gauging interest for people looking to be involved.
Based off of the information I have gathered from however many threads on however many different forums, here is what I have gathered:

1 piece driveshaft (d/s) will reduce weight of car as well as rotational mass of drivetrain resulting in less parasitic loss (i guess one might refer to this as a "gain" in horsepower and torque although you technically aren't gaining anything)

There are several different brands to choose from but right now I am preferable to Shaftmasters 1) because of the great things I have read about their customer service 2) they manufacture new d/s's as opposed to cutting a ford ranger d/s to make it shorter and re-welding it to meet spec for S197's 3) they use a 3.5" shaft to counter the "rubbing" that is caused in the tunnel supposedly when using a 4" shaft 4) they are rated up to 600 HP which allows you to still use it when you upgrade and get a blower :-)
HOWEVER, if Shaftmasters declines to offer us a group buy incentive, Powerhouse Driveshafts or Coast Driveline (despite their 4" design) are backup choices.

Installation is relatively simple and with the proper tools, can be done on jackstands. On the other hand, even if you elect to have it "professionally" installed, install time shouldn't exceed an hour or two keeping the price relatively low.

It is getting relatively late where I am at, so forgive me if I can't recall all of the pros/cons of a 1-piece d/s. If anybody would like to provide any other positive/constructive input it would be appreciated.
I will attempt to contact Shaftmasters tomorrow to gather details and I will post what I have collected as soon as I hear it. I'm going to say we will likely need AT LEAST 5 people to commit to purchasing, possibly more. Again, as I gather details I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks
Sharkbait20

Last edited by sharkbait20; 3/23/10 at 12:39 PM.
Old 3/23/10, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good idea! Shaftmasters is the one I was leaning towards. With a group buy price you can count me in.
Old 3/23/10, 12:40 PM

B]UPDATE: I was able to get in touch with Shaftmasters and they are not currently interested in negotiating a group buy. The next thing to do is contact Powerhouse and see if they are interested in the matter. Thank you for interest.[/B]
Old 3/23/10, 12:46 PM
Cobra Member

PH runs group buys quite regularly on S197 and think this one may still be underway...
http://s197forum.com/forum/showthrea...598#post454598
Old 3/23/10, 01:02 PM

duely noted, thank you
Old 3/23/10, 02:13 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would be interested in this without question if we could put something together with Shaftmasters. However seeing how they are not willing to deal I guess I'm out of luck.
Old 3/23/10, 02:29 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
idk... I don't think I want to be within a hundred yards of anything with the words 'group' and 'shaftmasters' :gay: in the same breath.