2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

(Positive) RANT on the 05 Mustang - GREAT Read!

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/05, 11:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter Delorenzo at Autoextremist.com had this to say about the new mustang:

GM is late to the Pony Party - again.

Detroit. Timing is everything, but the concept of time has its own peculiar cadence in the automobile business. After all, this is an industry that spends its entire life in a professional Twilight Zone-like haze called "lead time" - working on products that are two, three and even four years from introduction. An industry that regularly launches new vehicles to market - while their replacements are only months from being "locked-in" to the final engineering and design phases. And, as if all of that weren't strange enough, it's an industry that thinks nothing of introducing products that are tagged with the following calendar year, nine months before the current model year is scheduled to run out. Timing in the auto business can make or break a product or even make or break an entire company, depending on the circumstances. And right now, the Ford Motor Company is on the very profitable side of fortuitous timing.

The new-generation Mustang is a flat-out "hit" by any conceivable measure. It's the right car, at the right time for the market - and it's the right car at the right time for Ford. How crucial is the Mustang's success to Ford right now? It's literally carrying the entire company on its back.

But as much as timing plays an integral role in the car biz, there's another factor that can dominate the business too - and that's the feverish notion that if one company defines a "hit" - the "copycats" won't be too far behind. Nothing grates on car companies more than watching a competitor steal thunder with an overnight success. It drives them crazy, as a matter of fact. Such was the case with the original Mustang introduction back on April 17, 1964 - to this date the most successful car launch in U.S. automotive history. Ford created a new segment from out of the blue, and they were off to the races with it. GM was caught flat-footed with the Mustang's success and came up with their "me too" version of the "pony" car almost three years later - the '67 Chevrolet Camaro - and added the Pontiac Firebird after that. And then Chrysler joined in with their own versions of the "pony" car - the Plymouth Barracuda and the Dodge Challenger.

It looks like the importance of timing is surfacing again in the auto biz, as history, apparently, is repeating itself. Now that Ford has a huge hit with their new-generation Mustang, the "late-to-the-party" contingent is showing up. Chrysler is said to be working on a shortened-wheelbase Coupe version of its next-generation "LX" rear-wheel-drive platform - to be called the Challenger - but it won't make its debut until 2008. This was after the company slammed its critics (me included) when they introduced the new-generation Charger as a four-door sedan, declaring the Coupe market dead in the water in the U.S. and suggesting that "nobody buys Coupes anymore." My, how things have changed. A red-hot Mustang seems to have brought clarity to Chrysler's thinking of late. For all of Chrysler's posturing as the car company that creates "segment-busting" products, they miss more often than they hit. And they missed the Mustang phenomenon, big time. But as easily as Chrysler's miscalculation can be explained (they're so permanently lost in the "daze" of their HEMI/300C success out in Auburn Hills that they're having difficulty functioning), GM's late reaction (or inaction) is inexcusable.

Now that Ford is selling upwards of 18,000 Mustangs per month, the rumblings are coming from within GM that there will be a next-generation Camaro one day too. But questions linger, as in why did it take GM to see the efficacy of a properly rendered Mustang in order to understand that they needed the Camaro? Why did it take Ford's belief in its franchise car - the Mustang - to teach GM that they had something special to believe in with the heritage and the history of the Camaro?

The ultimate question is this: Why is GM always reacting instead of acting?

It takes no time at all to count the number of vehicles that GM has pioneered since the '50s that were not responses to a competitor's product, but rather were the result of reaching deep within and coming up with a product idea that demonstrated confidence and genuine vision. The Corvette. The Pontiac GTO. The original Buick Riviera. The front-wheel-drive Olds Toronado and Eldorado come to mind, to name a few.

The reason given for GM letting the Camaro die in 2002 was ostensibly because of budget considerations, but insiders know the real problem was that the "old-think" GM was still alive and well - and that the enthusiast faction within GM was still being suppressed and throttled from envisioning great cars at every turn. A new Camaro could have and should have been making its debut this coming fall, but now GM will be lucky if they can be back in the market with one by the 2008 time frame.

GM should be embarrassed that they got caught flat-footed by the Mustang. In this era when great product can make or break car companies, a hot Camaro would have done wonders for GM and Chevrolet. At the end of the day, the Camaro name was and still is one of the bright lights in the GM/Chevrolet portfolio and one of the most recognized American car brand names out there - one with a tremendous amount of brand equity and residual goodwill in the marketplace. The original Camaro, though a "me too" entry to the segment Ford invented, was always the most worthy competitor to the Mustang, and the fact that GM walked away from it, even for a model year, is unforgivable.

Don't be surprised to see a future Camaro concept unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show next January. But in the meantime, every month that the Mustang continues to pile up double-digit sales, it should be a painful reminder to GM and Chevrolet executives that when you have the potential for a hit product sitting right under your noses, you don't let it languish or flounder - or die. Instead, you nurture it, hone it and make it better than ever.

Because on top of all of the other factors looming over this industry right now - including the brutal competition, the fragmenting of segments, the health care and legacy costs, etc., etc. - playing catch-up in this business is a female dog.

Thanks for listening, see you next Wednesday.
Old 6/30/05, 11:23 AM
Cobra Member

Great read, Philip! Thanks for posting it.
Old 6/30/05, 11:27 AM
Banned

AWESOME Article.great reading.....................thanks for sharing!!
Old 6/30/05, 11:34 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
awesome read. Thanks for posting. I don't think the mustang has ever been this popular since the late 60's. Congrats Ford and congrats to everyone who has or will purchase one
Old 6/30/05, 12:24 PM
Cobra Member

Great article!
Thanks for posting!
Old 6/30/05, 12:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Seemed like it was more Chevy and GM bashing than Mustang praising.....BUT I WELCOME BOTH!

Yay mustang!
Old 6/30/05, 12:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

yea, thats what made it a great read LOL

Thanks for posting, it was a great article, well done FORD, well done!
Old 6/30/05, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

The important thing to keep in mind (if you don't frequent his site) is that Delorenzo has GM in his blood. His Father worked for GM as head of Marketing I believe. He LOVES GM with every fiber of his being. He does rants about them all the time. It's like constructive criticism, but he usually throws a few positives in there because he truly wants to see them succeed.

This rant is HUGE because it actually praises Ford (whom he almost never will mention) for doing something right. To me... it's more than just the obvious. It shows me that even its most dedicated fans are starting to look for some serious product and they're not making excuses anymore.

Delorenzo writes some outstanding columns - 1 a week if you're interrested in reading them (new one evey wednesday). I've been going to his site for quite some time now (at least a year), and I've always gotten a lot of joy from reading his rants. He gets attention from a lot of the big wigs in the auto industry. They DO listen to him.

This one hits home because he is not only criticizing GM and Chrysler, but also praising Ford and hailing the Mustang as what it is - the biggest Ford Seller. EDIT: Meant to say that the Mustang is Carrying Ford on its back.

I wrote them back (in case you're interrested), and had this to say:

Your Article on the new Mustang was great. GM was caught off guard AGAIN, and I can't understand why. They watched Ford beat them to it with the first Mustang, and they were 2.5 years late in getting in the game (which is really remarkable considering what it would take by today's standards). That made the Mustang that much more of the American Icon and the legend that has endeared itself to Americans.

That time that Ford had to foster the segment also made the Camaro that much less of an icon (while still being, as you say, the BEST competition the Mustang ever saw). Over 1 million units sold in the first 2.5 years of production is a record that, to my knowledge, has never been touched. Selling that many cars dug GM a mighty big hole to climb out of.

History repeats itself. GM had a GREAT opportunity to essentially COMPETE this time. They watched people FLOCK to the Mustang at the car shows (I know because I was there!) They heard the rave reviews! They had a real shot at getting in the game early enough to compete in such a way that it wouldn't have looked like "ME TOO!" Instead, they closed up shop and walked away, and that's just sad.

There are so many Camaro Fans out there that are now buying Mustangs because the car is so hot. They're on Mustang message forums talking about how they swallowed their pride and bought a Ford Mustang because GM is sitting on its hands, while other still are holding out and praying every night. Those fans DESERVE a great car, and they DESERVED it on time to compete with the Mustang.

I know personally, if the tables were turned and GM had hit with a retro Camaro while Ford let the mustang Die... Folks would be FLOCKING to GM dealerships (Myself included - instead of buying my 05 Mustang) to ****** up the new Camaro. Instead they decided not to compete in a KEY market that, as you say, is CARRYING Ford on its shoulders right now.

Yet no matter what GM and Chrysler do to try and catch up in this market, I believe it will ultimately falter, and here's why: The first mustang was a success because it looked radically different, but most importantly, it was affordable and customizable. To this day, you cannot get a better bang for the buck than the Mustang. Even if GM and Chrysler hit us with "higher HP/More standard features" standard versions than the Mustang, they WILL NOT price them competitively. They will cost MORE than the Mustang, and in this segment, it will signal your death Knell, as it always has. PRICE is the most important part of the pony car market - Next to the power and features. That is why the Mustang has always ALWAYS outsold the Camaro.

People LOVE to compare the Mustang to higher priced alternatives and in the end, even though the Mustang will loose out in some particular aspect of the comparison, people always say... "Well, it's still the biggest bang for the $$$". I hope GM and Chrysler BOTH take this into account when they make their Pony Cars. It will offer the Mustang the Competition it has truly deserved since its introduction.
Old 6/30/05, 12:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny how GM and Chrysler are in the same position with the pony car market they were in 40 years ago. It's almost like, someone forgot to tell them that the Mustang did this to them once already, now its doing it again.
Old 6/30/05, 12:56 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Philip-

I love AE. I've been conversing with Peter for a while now when the subject matter is apporpriate and he has ways taken time to respond. I look forward to AE every Wednesday. And Dr. Bud's trials and tribulations are always a joy to read. (His write-up on the 2000 Cobra R is a wonderful piece of work.)
Old 6/30/05, 01:44 PM
Bullitt Member

That is an excellent piece of writing, views aside. It reminds me of old-school journalism. Good read.
Old 6/30/05, 01:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Enfynet@June 30, 2005, 12:50 PM
Funny how GM and Chrysler are in the same position with the pony car market they were in 40 years ago. It's almost like, someone forgot to tell them that the Mustang did this to them once already, now its doing it again.
WOW isnt it GREAT ! I hope the gas prices and epa restrictions dont screw things up ! GG FORD U ROCK !!!!!!
Old 6/30/05, 03:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good read. I, too, will be curious to see GM's showing at Detroit next year.
Old 6/30/05, 05:10 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GREAT article and read!! Thanks for posting!

(and pretty nice write up yourself there in your second post Philip! )
Old 6/30/05, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Best post here in a while I think. Thanks!

I can only shake my head when I think of GM. How can a company do so many things wrong at once. I only hope for the GM employees that the company pulls out from it death spiral. What bad leadership.

Chrysler? They are not even on my radar anymore. I pay no attention to them. I hold Kia in higher regard. "LOOK, WE HAVE A HEMI!" Yeah? But, your cars are ugly, and junk. Chrysler has always had questionable design and engineering. I worked on a 2002 Stratus today, and a newer Caravan yesterday -- the quality of the light fixtures, switches, and materials was just sad. It amazes me that human beings can design such stupid things.

Ford isn't perfect, but they are improving. The Freestar needs a serious OVERHAUL (it just doesn't compare to the imports), and why doesn't Ford bring the new Focus over to the states????
Old 6/30/05, 06:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

He makes it sound like the Plymouth Barracuda was an afterthought even though the 1964 model hit the showrooms a few weeks before the Mustang did. Of course, we all know it wasn't the right car at the right time like the Mustang was but a good writer needs to do his research! Otherwise, great read.
Old 6/30/05, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Great article.......Thanks for shareing it
Old 6/30/05, 11:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Good read!!...and good point also.
Im not converting or anything but "Lets go GM!! bring that baby back!! The Mustang needs some real and true competition!!"
Old 7/1/05, 12:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

I remember an ad on TV years ago about a company that had a Big sign placed on top of the building saying "Number 1" and then after a few years the ad says the sign reads "Numb...the ber 1" had fallen to the ground. I thought it was a great way of explaining how even if a company is doing very well they still need to be working very hard to stay there. I think GM just thought they were invincible and just went to sleep on many issues.
Old 7/1/05, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by Sonic05@June 30, 2005, 5:46 PM
Best post here in a while I think. Thanks!

Ford isn't perfect, but they are improving. The Freestar needs a serious OVERHAUL (it just doesn't compare to the imports), and why doesn't Ford bring the new Focus over to the states????
As I recall, Freestyle just received several awards, so I don't agree on the quality issue there. Also, wait until the Fusion hits the market. It's supposed to be awesome.

I don't understand where GM's head was when they decided to get rid of their sports cars and though I'm a Ford person, I hate ANY American car manufacturer to take a back seat to the imports. GM has to be banging their head against the wall watching the Mustang's success, and rightly so.

Quick Reply: (Positive) RANT on the 05 Mustang - GREAT Read!