2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Poor fuel quality problems?

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/06, 08:02 PM
NEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks,
First off I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I searched and couldn't find anything.
I've had my Stang for a couple of months now. After driving it for a couple of days, I noticed a strange vibration and noise coming from the car during acceleration.
The best way to describe it is this: I come to a stop during in-city traffic. When the cars finally start to move, I release the brake and accelerate slightly. There is a point during this slight acceleration that the car will vibrate through the floor and produce a very noticeable humming sound that I can only describe like a kazoo sound that is low almost like a rumble (boy...did that make any sense?).
Anyway, it's annoying and almost ruins the entire driving experience, as everytime I accelerate it happens (around 25-30 mph).
I went to my dealer and explained the problem. He stated that my area (Seattle) is having a problem with really bad fuel quality and thats what's causing all of my problems. He recommended using high quality fuel like Chevron or using some sort of fuel additive. I've always used Chevron and the problems obviously still exist. The first time I used the Techron fuel additive, it seemed to help the issue (not solve it), but eventually the problem returned. The last time I used the additive, it didn't seem to help at all...bless my car, its apparently morphing and developing immunity to the additive.
Anyway, the next time I spoke with the service guy, I mentioned that additives weren't helping and pointed out that the "poor fuel" in our area doesn't seem to be affecting the other two cars I on occasion drive. He finally said (admitted?) that Ford vehicles are especially venerable to the problem and that he had two brand new F150s clogged up. He said that this problem should go away at the start of this year as the fuel quality in this area will improve. So far, the problem is as bad as ever, granted I've only filled up once this year so far.
Has anyone experienced this vibration problem? Is anyone in the NW having this problem? Can fuel really be the problem? Am I extremely stupid/guillible for even believing this? Is that too many questions for one post?
Old 1/6/06, 09:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Missfire sounds more like the problem to me but it's just a guess. Maybe this tsb might be helpful, although it only a service proceedure for the problem. Ford must have various problems with poor diagnosis and unnecessary parts changing or they wouldn't have made this tsb.http://www.bradbarnett.net/mustangs/..._01misfire.pdf
Old 1/7/06, 01:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume that what you are hearing is a pre-knock grumble. Ford sets an aggressive spark advance curve to take advantage of every drop of regular octane fuel. Before you do anything else, try running premium fuel. Techron is an excellent cleaner, but I believe the Shell, BP, and Union brands also have excellent cleaners (just not as well advertised). Premium fuels have more of the cleaner additive package that helps the fuel gauges to stay clear of sulfur deposits, plus a higher octane rating will suppress the pre-knock grumble.
I have only suffered through one tank of regular (the first tank) and then after that I have run exclusively premium. I can operate my engine smoothly all the way down to 1,500 RPM with a light load. With the regular fuel, I was forced to keep the engine speed at 2,000 RPM minimum. My car is a V6 manual transmission.
If you are buying your fuel from a discount fuel station (such as Arco, Safeway, etc.) please be advised that they pay less for fuel often times because sometimes it isn't quite as fresh. Fuel will lose one octane rating per month while being shipped around. Further be advised that much of the fuel that is sold from the super-discounters was purchased already refined out-of-country (yes, they do it cheaper than we do, and the transportation time to barge it here drops the octane rating). They do not have the same stringent standards for no sulfur in the fuel, and if you ever notice a rotten egg smell in your exhaust, stop buying that cheap brand of fuel right away. That sulfur makes sulfuric acid exhaust (bad for everything) and will coat the gas tank sensors so that they won't read correctly.
Old 1/7/06, 01:35 PM
NEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have never purchased the discount gas yet. To date, I have probably filled my tank about 10 times and 9 of those times were with Chevron...one with Shell. However, those first 5-6 tanks were with regular unleaded. I was doing this because I thought the manual said to do this...now of course rereading that part, I see that I missed the first two words in that sentence: "In Canada" (pg.217).
I'm an idiot.
Well, I will go on a premium-only diet from now on...however, I guess I find it strange that many of my relatives (wife, mom), fill their older cars with the cheapest gas they can find and don't have this problem...but I'm using regular Chevron gas with an occasional additive and am having problems with my brand new car.
Maybe I expect too much.
Thanks again for the help.
Old 1/8/06, 12:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have a V6 Ive seen a few threads here that under certain RPM's and loads the exhaust can shake under accelleration if its not 100% secured properly.
Old 1/8/06, 12:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could this possibly be your transmission?

If you have a manual tranny and you are hearing a whine when you accellerate then I would suspect that you have the transmission TSB.