2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/13, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help

Okay I have a 2008 mustang,6cyld. I have 56,000miles on it.i started my car and it was squealing really loud,and when you turn on the air conditioner it smells burnt. I bought a new belt ,then bought a new tension pulley,change that and it's sti squealing? What can it be the air conditioner compressor? The alternator? Please help
Old 8/26/13, 09:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Wait, the air coming out of the vents smells burnt, or just under the hood?

It sounds very much like a locked compressor or compressor pulley/clutch/bearing, so that pulley isn't rotating, and the belt is sliding on by.

The only real way to know is to open the hood and watch the pulleys, or if they'll turn by hand (most will) take the belt off and spin them. Engine off, of course.

It's entirely possible that the routing of the belt might be rubbing up against something. This also can only really be seen by opening the hood and having a look. Bring a flashlight.

Be careful... if the belt is rubbing/squealing against a pulley, it could cut the belt and if you're in the way, you'll have a bad time, to say the least. Much like a propeller on an airplane, DO NOT be where its spinning could be a problem. It is advisable to have a friend in the car, or better yet, put THEM in danger and have them watch the belt and pulleys, as the car is started for just a little bit to see what's going on. Pick someone you are 'meh' about in that case.

Last edited by houtex; 8/26/13 at 09:13 PM.
Old 8/28/13, 03:29 PM

Okay we watched all the pulley s and they are spinning,the air compressor is also spinning,that's what I don't understand. My car a/c stop blowing cold a couple months ago,I put that compressed freon in there an it's still blowing cold. So do you think it's the air compressor?
Old 8/28/13, 11:28 PM
Bullitt Member

It could be the idler pulley so far it seems like you have tried everything but that. Its pretty inexpensive anyways bit the bearing may be dried up and that's what is causing the burning smell
Old 8/29/13, 05:19 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
the 4.0 is known to have issues with the harmonic balancer separating. I dont have a pic, but if you look at the lower pulley(on the crankshaft) it sshould be kinda flat with the front of the balancer- when they slip, the pulley ring tends to slide towards the engine causing a huge belt misalignment- one poster in here showed where the ring slid completely back, and the belt hopped off and ran on the rubber insert/inner ring!
with the engine off, you should be able to just eyeball the alignment- just look along the front edge of the belt move your head till any three pulleys upper are aligned, the bottom one should fall in that plane also. if its off, start measuring to confirm what pulley, but the balancer is a known issue...
Old 8/31/13, 10:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
What really? That's.... scary. Huh.

So I googled it... Oh, look here we go:

https://themustangsource.com/f637/07...squeal-489517/