2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 4.0 V6 squeal

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/10, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 4.0 V6 squeal

I have an 07 4.0 with 36000 miles. For the past month an annoying pulley squeal has developed.
This morning as I was leaving my house it got really loud, and I noted a burning smell, kind of like burning electrical. The battery and alternator seem to be charging fine though. Last week I took the belt off, and it isn't the belt. Is there a specific pulley that has been known to fail in the 4.0's?

Videos of noise coming.
Old 11/29/10, 11:13 AM

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/user/N97277#p/a/u/0/iN1UpzK20vs

I should also note that it's pretty muted in the video, this morning on a cold start it was much worse.
Old 11/29/10, 08:46 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
sounds kinda like my wifes 07 v6...I assumed from the sound it was the belt, after hearing yours wondered...just went out and started hers up, gave a spritz of soapy water- one drop in the belt and its silent...I'm guessing someone put 'belt dressing' on it at one time or another, from what Ive seen before after it burns off or whatever it gets louder and louder...time for a new belt although it looks fine.

ive seen polyvee belts at work get squeaky too if they get crud between the grooves of the belt- but dirt in the serpentines tends to centrifugally self clean where it bends backwards, so dont think cleaning will help...still guessing on my wifes that someone might have got some belt dressing or silicone/armorall type crap on a pulley, glazing it up. we got hers used and it was cleaned up under the hood...
I got armorall on the belts of my first car, it started squeaking like crazy a few days after shining it up...ended up wiping the pulleys with solvent and new belt to quiet it down

try a few drops of even just water to see if it quiets down...
Old 11/30/10, 09:54 AM

Nah it's not the belt. I removed it last week and it was all fine.
Old 11/30/10, 12:21 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SinisterSix
I have an 07 4.0 with 36000 miles. For the past month an annoying pulley squeal has developed.
This morning as I was leaving my house it got really loud, and I noted a burning smell, kind of like burning electrical. The battery and alternator seem to be charging fine though. Last week I took the belt off, and it isn't the belt. Is there a specific pulley that has been known to fail in the 4.0's?

Videos of noise coming.
Hi SinisterSix,

My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. I was looking at this post about your squealing noise and burning smell in your 07 Mustang. Have you brought this concern to your dealership’s attention? If not I could help you make an appointment with them. Also, I would like to look into this for you. Please private message me your VIN, dealer information and contact information. I can look for recalls, customer satisfaction programs and also document your vehicle concern in our systems. Just looking to help .

Deysha
Old 11/30/10, 03:17 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this user legit? Would one of the admins like to chime in on this? Even though Ford pages are listed in the user's sig, I wouldn't be so quick to up and send someone my VIN number or other sensitive information.

Just sayin'...
Old 11/30/10, 04:45 PM

Fixed the problem. Harmonic Balancer failure.

Left is the old. Right is the new, and how it's supposed to look.
Old 11/30/10, 06:25 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
Is this user legit? Would one of the admins like to chime in on this? Even though Ford pages are listed in the user's sig, I wouldn't be so quick to up and send someone my VIN number or other sensitive information.

Just sayin'...
I agree Antigini, i sure wouldn't send this person 'anything'.
Old 12/1/10, 12:04 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Please dont send anythign to them untill I can get verification.
Old 12/1/10, 02:11 PM

I haven't, and probably won't. The issue has been resolved. I honestly don't like taking my car to the service department anyway.
Old 12/1/10, 03:05 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Update: FordCustomerService is legit and is reaching out to other social medias (like our site) to help customers out.

Please welcome them and embrace this, as I think it is a great addition to the site and giving our feedback to Ford.

As always, please use your own discretion when sending information across the internet, both public and private.
Old 12/5/10, 11:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scothew
Update: FordCustomerService is legit and is reaching out to other social medias (like our site) to help customers out.

Please welcome them and embrace this, as I think it is a great addition to the site and giving our feedback to Ford.

As always, please use your own discretion when sending information across the internet, both public and private.
ahhh, i`m too late. i was gonna suggest you checking out the crank pulley. mine failed too and its a common problem with the 4.0`s. the new replacement part is made better too. for other users, look at the rubber ring on the frt of the pulley. if it looks tattered at all and not smooth anymore, its going bad and its just a matter of time. next the belt will squeel maybe off and on a little, then getting worse. it can come apart in a short time. i noticed mine and got lucky as to not get stranded out on the road somewhere. heres a pic of the tattered look, apart, and new. you`ll notice they put the rubber over the entire face to keep water away from it. you also need to replace the pulley bolt when you replace the pulley. its about 7.00 at the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails 07 4.0 V6 squeal-crank-pulley.jpg   07 4.0 V6 squeal-crank-pulley-apart.jpg   07 4.0 V6 squeal-crank-pulley-new.jpg  

Last edited by amustangrocks; 12/5/10 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12/14/10, 12:26 PM

Nice to know that the boys from Ford are being proactive and trying to help find issues they can fix.

Nice touch!
Old 12/17/10, 10:23 PM

I had the same issue with my 07 at 52000 miles. Harmonic balancer
Is a weak point
Old 12/23/10, 08:40 PM
GT Member

Seems like the perfect time to switch to an underdrive pulley...
Old 1/5/11, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by amustangrocks
ahhh, i`m too late. i was gonna suggest you checking out the crank pulley. mine failed too and its a common problem with the 4.0`s. the new replacement part is made better too. for other users, look at the rubber ring on the frt of the pulley. if it looks tattered at all and not smooth anymore, its going bad and its just a matter of time. next the belt will squeel maybe off and on a little, then getting worse. it can come apart in a short time. i noticed mine and got lucky as to not get stranded out on the road somewhere. heres a pic of the tattered look, apart, and new. you`ll notice they put the rubber over the entire face to keep water away from it. you also need to replace the pulley bolt when you replace the pulley. its about 7.00 at the dealer.
where did you get the new pulley ? (dealership) also how much ??
Old 9/8/14, 02:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Any other updates to this old thread?? Seems I'm now having this issue also!! Thanks!
Old 9/8/14, 02:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
From the grave!!!

You already check and replace the aforementioned part?
Old 9/8/14, 02:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

not yet......on my list to do this Month!! Part #'s?
Old 9/8/14, 04:10 PM
Bullitt Member

My idler pulley started squealing around 80k. Easy cheap fix. Also the Harmonic Balancers are known to separate so keep an eye on it, the rubber cracks and the outer pulley breaks from the inner rubber mount.

Quick Reply: 07 4.0 V6 squeal