2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Pictures of the 2005 GT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/07, 09:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea its fine in gear. I leave manuals in neutral by habit with just the ebrake unless there is a bit of a slope. Although, in winter I try to leave it in gear with no E-brake if I was driving in wet stuff before I parked(flat ground).
Old 12/8/07, 09:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine is always parked in 1st, no ebrake.

its an Emergency brake for a reason.

i never use it when parking, unless im on a monster hill
Old 12/8/07, 09:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by n8rfastback

If your emergency brake does not see regular use, it won't work in an emergency. Thus, the reason most automatic cars that are more than a few years old don't have working ones. It needs to be used. I guess more people park in gear than I thought. Just a thing that bothers me, is seeing someone parking in gear. To me it's unsafe and should only be done on a hill. I see no benefit of parking in gear, otherwise. But there are benefits of parking in neutral, like those I stated above. Also, if someone hits your car while it's parked, if you're in gear it could hurt your drivetrain, as well as allow more damage to be caused to your car. In any event, just explaining why it's safer to park in neutral.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Old 12/9/07, 12:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
If your emergency brake does not see regular use, it won't work in an emergency. Thus, the reason most automatic cars that are more than a few years old don't have working ones. It needs to be used. I guess more people park in gear than I thought. Just a thing that bothers me, is seeing someone parking in gear. To me it's unsafe and should only be done on a hill. I see no benefit of parking in gear, otherwise. But there are benefits of parking in neutral, like those I stated above. Also, if someone hits your car while it's parked, if you're in gear it could hurt your drivetrain, as well as allow more damage to be caused to your car. In any event, just explaining why it's safer to park in neutral.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
I agree with the 1st part, its good to use it once in a while auto or stick, keeps the cable/moving parts lubricated.

But there's a better chance of the car rolling with only the E-brake and the car in neutral, vs in gear only. The E-brake in these cars sucks as it does in most cars it seems.
About the damage to drive train, if hes going to move you enough to do damage to the drive train, your better off having it totaled, than body work, imo. Not that I am thinking too deep into this, lol. The chances of it are pretty slim.
Old 12/9/07, 02:52 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grabber07'
I have always parked the car and left it in 1st with the E-Brake on....never heard of it hurting anything... is this a Myth...maybe we should contact mythbusters on this one

I can see it now, Jamie and Adam spending the whole hour parking, putting it in gear, setting the e-brake, and getting out of the car. In the end they find nothing of negative consequence for doing so, then they proceed to blow the car up.
Old 12/9/07, 03:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SonicBlue2005GT
yep, that's a mustang.
Old 12/9/07, 04:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by n8rfastback

Actually as others have said if you don't use it it will end up freezing and not working and also it's a parking break, not an emergency brake.
Old 12/9/07, 07:11 AM
Cobra Member

Bet both have a big bang!
Old 12/9/07, 10:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbieg
Actually as others have said if you don't use it it will end up freezing and not working and also it's a parking break, not an emergency brake.
That's true, they do call it a parking brake on manuals.

IF the car is going to roll, you'd have to be on a decent sized hill, and that's when I said I would park in gear. But on flat ground or a small incline, the parking brake is more than sufficient with a good pull. If a car hits you moving more than 5MPH, it could cause drive train damage. If nothing else, it could cause unneeded stress. Anyway, I've said my piece and am moving on. I will continue to park in neutral with the parking brake, and maybe I've helped a few people become safer.
Old 12/9/07, 10:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

we should start a poll and see who does what.....