2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Peripheral Ipod interface installed

Search this Thread

Old 1/25/07, 10:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peripheral Ipod interface installed

For anyone interested in hooking up an Ipod to the shaker 500, this is a very clean solution. I put it in tonight in a couple hours taking my time to avoid scratches and to make sure the installation was rattle free and no wires were being abraded or pinched.

I ran the cable into the center console through the e-brake access cover. I left the cover off for now, I am ordering a new one tommorrow so I have another one before I notch the cover for the wire. It is nice because I just open the console, plug the nano in, and go. No wires, no mounts, no fiddling.

It works great, controls and charges the Ipod right from the head, and sounds at least as good as the Ipod sounds with a good set of headphones. Don't get me wrong, forgetting about the car for a minute, an ipod will never sound as good as a CD and there are some albums that really need to be played off of a CD to sound right, no matter how you approch ripping the song.

Getting through the menus is a little slow but nothing terrible.

I tried 3 different FM transmitters before this, they all went back to the store. They really sounded so miserable that using them was not even an option for me.

The only issue is that you should unplug the ipod from the car if it is going to be sitting for more than a few hours imo. Not really a big deal to me. Oh, also the clickwheel and display are disabled when you are plugged into the car, but that is fine with me.

I also finally got around to de-rattling the door panels a bit.
Old 1/26/07, 07:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Got any pictures of what you did, the results, anything??
Old 1/26/07, 10:05 AM
V6 Member

classj, I have the same set-up. I had to return the first unit due to issues that caused erratic messages to be displayed on the dash (message center?). Although not the perfect solution I'm pretty satisfied with the Peripheral. I sometimes leave my iPod video plugged in but I have it set-up to automatically shutoff after a few minutes. I take it the Nano doesn't have the auto shut off feature?
Old 1/26/07, 10:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Hmmm. I have to look into the auto shut off. I think it has one. But it still stays charging and I am not entirly certain I like that. Not sure yet though.

I picked up the second gen unit from Best Buy. It was a recent software release so hopefully it will be ok.

Got any pictures of what you did, the results, anything??
As far as pics. I have seen quite a few already of installs on here so it really was nothing new. I cable tied the box to the crossbar behind the climate control system and secured the wiring harness' where appropriate.

And other than an ipod cord sitting inside the console, everything appears stock.

I think I covered the sound quality review above. It sounds as good as one would expect an ipod to sound and reproduces the music very nicely through the mustang.

To my ears, a MP3 or AAC file ripped from a CD at 192KBPS and gain adjusted to prevent clipping sounds only 80-90% as good as a CD depending on the song regardless of whether you are playing it off of a PC or an Ipod. Of course, the better the headphones/stereo you play it through, the more apparant the difference.

But to put it more bluntly. If there is any quality problems, they are caused by the fact that it is compressed music and has nothing to do with the peripheral input.
Old 2/13/07, 11:21 AM

peripheral unit from BBuy installed.

I've been following this thread and others regarding the ipod solutions, I finally bit the bullet and bought the Ipod2go from BBuy got it on sale for $99.00 bucks it was $149.99, well I installed it and so far everything is nice I like the quality and no hicups at this moment, the response is pretty quick and most important I kept the stock look.
Install is pretty straight forward, plug and play, I attached it with velcro to a piece of metal frame behind the passenger side trim easy to replace in case I have to without removing the stereo.
Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences, I'll keep this posted if I find any troubles.

Erik
Old 2/13/07, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

YOUR KIDDING?? When was it on sale?? Was it advertised??

I think they have something like a 30 day price match or something. I am going back for my 50 bucks.

Details please.
Old 2/13/07, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by classj
YOUR KIDDING?? When was it on sale?? Was it advertised??

I think they have something like a 30 day price match or something. I am going back for my 50 bucks.

Details please.
No it wasn't advertised, by the car section all the ipod2go packages (Toyota, BMW, Chrysler, etc) were on sale for $99 bucks I bought it February 4th, I'll swing by the store 2morrow and see if they still have it.

Erik
Old 2/14/07, 09:27 AM

Still $99.00 at Best Buy #558 in Aventura, FL just checked it this morning other stores should have the same price.

Good Luck!!

Erik
Old 2/14/07, 02:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm still waiting for the new PIE release.
Old 2/14/07, 04:13 PM
V6 Member

I've had Peripheral's adapter since May of 2006. Had to return it a couple of times until the release of version 2. Haven't had a problem with it since. the ipod stays in the car and although there is a constant charge, there hasn't been a problem so don't worry about leaving it in there. The guys at the autoshop (ford's) says that it's drain is so small, unless you left it for months without starting up, then it might drain the battery, but that's only after all the other electronic components in the car hasn't done so already (ats!).
Old 2/14/07, 04:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I am going to try to get there tom or fri. It has not been 30 days yet so they should do it.
Old 2/15/07, 08:00 AM

from what i understand the peripheral will charge the ipod for 20 minutes after you shut the car off.
Old 2/16/07, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

I think anom may be thinking of the older PIE interface, not the new one that works like the Peripherals one.
Old 2/16/07, 12:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

I should have gotten an iPod. I like the idea of controlling it through the head unit. Guess I'll have to get the PIE unit for my Toshiba MP3 player.