Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting my CDC chin spoiler help...

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/09, 09:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Painting my CDC chin spoiler help...

My current classic chin spoiler is broken. It has a nice size crack along the front under the license plate (going length wise, u have to be bending down to see it) and about an inch split along the front tip (going up and down). Somewhere along it's travels the front hit something and bent causing the crack and split.

So now before I replace it, I wanted to paint it to see how I would like the look. I called CDC and they recommended SEM Automotive filler to fill and fix, no biggie. I'll fill and fix the cracks, sand but then I would like to paint the sides Sonic Blue and the center flat/matte black.

What I need to know is where can I get the matching Sonic Blue paint from. Has anyone tried doing this themselves? Thanks guys!
Old 10/2/09, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any reputable paint supplier will have the paint codes for sonic blue. Ford uses it or shades of it on a lot of cars. You won't have any issues there.

You can certainly try painting yourself. It's not a hard process, but it's a diligent one. I myself am not yet completely competent at it.

So, what you'll need to complete the task. Obviously you'll need you paint. both sonic blue, and your matte black, plus clear.

They make specific clear for flat paint. Since you are doing this as a trial before possibly replacing the chin, you may just opt for a single stage flat.

I believe that the CDC chin is an ABS plastic piece. I could be mistaken. If it it plastic, you'll need a plastic primer, otherwise the paint won't adhere properly.

When it comes to prepping the surface, it needs to be clean, dust free and 100% dry. The rule of thumb for the finish is that if you can feel it on the surface, you'll see if in the paint. So any defect in the surface will come through if it's not corrected.

When painting the piece you'll want to lay down your black first as it will be easier to cover by the blue then vic-versa. But know where you're painting. THe less paint you have to cover with another color, the better.

Spray on light coats with an even motion starting off the surface and ending off the surface. You don't want to start your spray pointed at your target. Since the sonic blue has flake in it, you'll want to vary the direction that you spray. This will cut down on any directional lines forming in the flake.

It would be a good idea to find a scrap piece of metal to try out first for some practice.

So, you'll need.

Sand paper (course to fine for finishing)
3m tack clothes (for cleaning)
Primer
Paint (with any necessary activators/plasticizers etc)
Clear (with any necessary activators etc)
Paint Gun
Air Compressor

I can't really recommend a paint gun, but go with a gravity feed unit to start with. You'll also want an air compressor that can keep up with the gun. Pay close attention to the recommended air pressures for the specific gun you choose.

I hope some of that is helpful for you. Hopefully a seasoned painter will stop in and share some advice.

good luck!
Old 10/2/09, 04:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Michael, if you're not experienced, I would take it somewhere to get painted. I have mine painted and the shop said it took some careful work getting the surface just right for painting, since it is a textured surface and you want the paint to match the vehicle body. I had also been told that you want to make sure the paint has the correct amount of "flex additives", so that it doesn't crack as the chin flexes. You can definitely give it a shot and jlmounce provided some great pointers, but I'd be careful.....and I don't think it will cost much to have a shop paint it. JMO.
Old 10/3/09, 06:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

I had mine painted at a local shop just like your saying - body color on the sides, black in the middle. $150. Worth it, 'because as mentioned, there are flec additives, etc. You may be able to do it, but I doubt it would be professional quality. Mine has held up well, but I put on clear paint protection film (another $75).
Old 10/4/09, 03:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the replies and information would have been fun to try it but... well see for yourself