2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Ideas Needed

Search this Thread

Old 12/20/06, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Paint Ideas Needed

My 2006 GT got a bit trashed during a big winter a couple days ago here in Tacoma, WA. Lots of shingles that used to be on my roof ended up on the Stang and now it needs repainted on every panel except the front bumper, passenger door, and passenger rear quarter panel.

Since it’s getting repainted I figure now’s a good time to get stripes, or something else added. The body shop manager told me it would only cost a couple hundred extra to add stripes since they were painting anyway. He gave me the pros and cons of paint versus vinyl stripes.

It’s scheduled to go in on Jan 2, 2007

I’m looking for ideas.

The Mustang is Vista Blue with polished Rims (like the old Cragar SS).

If I get Rally Stripes they would have to end at the front edge of the hood (or, it would cost a lot extra since the front bumper wasn’t damaged and doesn’t need repainting).

So here are the two choices I’m considering:

1. Two wide (12 or 13 inch) rally stripes from the front edge of the hood to the back edge of the trunk lid. I’m thinking about Charcoal color. Not too shocking (like white). Then black out (gloss or flat???) the center trunk lid between the taillights.

2. Or, one very wide flat black stripe on the hood only (from very front to back of hood).
The stripe would be as wide as the black part of the grill. Attached are a couple of pictures of what I imagine it would look like.

Questions:

1. Are the stripes a good idea? Do you think the flat black hood is a more original idea?

2. Do you think the flat black will stand out enough against the Vista Blue? Or, is it not enough of a color difference?

3. I’ve never had flat black (or any other flat color) on a car. Is it hard to clean? Can you wax it? Will it look good after washing? Will it last long? Anything else I should know?

4. Should I just stick with the Vista Blue and call it a day?

5. Any other ideas that would be more original or better?

Any pictures would be helpful.

Thanks – Jeff

--
Attached Thumbnails Paint Ideas Needed-normal_new-q.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 12/20/06, 12:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Jeff, I would dual stripes on the hood, top, and trunk top - I think stopping them on the hood and trunk lid about 1/4 inch from the edge looks cool and slightly rounded on the leading (hood) and trailing (trunk) corners. If it were me, I would consider having the car painted...have the stripes painted...and then clear coat the whole car.
Old 12/20/06, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yikes! That sucks about the shingles. I was afraid of that for my Mustang. Luckly I left her at the dealership the night of the big storm, so she survived unscathed.

I'd go with option #2 the single wide flat black stripe and the flat black trunk blackout.

Maybe you could do this... Check out one of the custom painted cars we have in the showroom.

Old 12/21/06, 05:06 AM
Queen Of Nascar

No regrets here with my painted stripes. I think Silver would look good..

Welcome to the site.
Old 12/21/06, 05:23 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
White stripes on Vista Blue look hot - almost like a Viper or a race-ready Corvette. Painted stripes appear to win more points at car shows, FWIW. I personally do not like stripes on my car because it attracts too much attention.
Old 12/21/06, 07:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well I guess my opinion is obvious, go with the stripes. The wider the better.
Mine are 12" 2" gap.

Attachment 15958Attachment 15959

I like the shocking White stripes.
Attached Thumbnails Paint Ideas Needed-09-23-06014background.jpg   Paint Ideas Needed-shaker-done-rear-1-web.jpg  
Old 12/21/06, 07:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ghost Stripes man, Ghost Stripes!
Old 12/21/06, 07:45 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Well I guess my opinion is obvious, go with the stripes. The wider the better.
Mine are 12" 2" gap.

Attachment 15958Attachment 15959

I like the shocking White stripes.

NICE!!!
Old 12/21/06, 08:53 AM
GT Member

Sorry you car got it in that storm that thing was nasty. I got lucky myself no damage but was stressed all night.

Go with flat black stipes I think it would look very good on VB. Flat black is easy to clean. I wax my blackout panel and door stripes and have no problems they are both vinyal. Sorry don't have any new pictures of it yet.
Old 12/21/06, 05:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Go with Shelby's look, how can you top it?

Two double 10's with 1" gap. He knew the right dimensions. I copied this when I had mine painted. I think the narrow Roush's look cheesy. If you go too wide it will look like the ugly stuff they are putting on the Dodge Rams. Paint looks best. You just can't get the shine on vinyl.

IMHO Good Luck.