2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint chips galore in the front

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/06, 12:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I washed my car this afternoon and I must say, this is the first time I've been disappointed after washing my car :notnice:. The front is just littered with paint chips! Is there anyway I can talk my dealer into repainting the front end under warranty? It has only been driven for 10 months.
Old 1/7/06, 12:15 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's a tough argument to win with the dealer.

If you can somehow demonstrate that it wasn't because of where you drove, they may be willing to repaint it.

One way to demonstrate this is if the front fascia paint is still good and doesn't show evidence of being driven in an environment with gravel. Essentially, if you have chips on the hood and not the bumper, you may be able to get away with it, but if both the bumper and hood are chipped up I doubt it.
Old 1/7/06, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I dont think he will do anything but point to the calender and say "its winter!", lots of sand and rocks on the road.
sorry to hear about that, I try to keep a good coat of wax on the leading edges and hope for the best.
Old 1/7/06, 08:13 PM
GT Member

I baby my paint job and keep it waxed all the time. The paint is so thin, all it seems to take is a bump and it chips. My front end is still good, but I have multiple chips on the quarter panels and they are mostly above the body line where they are unliklely to be hit by rocks or road debris. I've had many new cars that were much more durable; to me it appears there is about 1 thin coat of paint over the primer with a single coat of clear.
The finish is beautiful but Ford obviously didn't design the finish to last on the new Mustang.
Old 1/7/06, 08:28 PM
GTR Member

I highly doubt you'll get that covered under warranty. nows the time to get a new front facia!!
Old 1/7/06, 09:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
stop following trucks so closely
Old 1/8/06, 02:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Do you guys recommend using a car bra during the winter?
Old 1/8/06, 06:00 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by FireFighterHill@January 8, 2006, 4:52 AM
Do you guys recommend using a car bra during the winter?

did he use car and bra together..........????????????

i would only use one from point a to b never for extended times.....i just don`t like the loo of them...never have.......
Old 1/8/06, 07:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Boltzman@January 7, 2006, 10:31 PM
I highly doubt you'll get that covered under warranty. nows the time to get a new front facia!!
heh, thats what I'm thinking...decisions, decisions.... Would the car look wierd if I kept the rear facia and bought and aftermarket front?
Old 1/8/06, 07:36 AM
GT Member

I would go to the dealer and see if they would repaint! I had a 2002 zinc yellow mustang and one month before my warranty was up I went to the dealer and showed them the excessive paint chips on my hood and they agreed to repaint it !Good luck!!!
Old 1/8/06, 11:23 AM
Cobra Member

I think we all wish we could win this argument with the dealer.
Old 1/8/06, 11:53 AM

I noticed the same paint chip problem myself. Had my 05 Mustang clear bra'd with the 3M product and I have been very pleased. Chips have stopped and I can buffout any scuff mark left by a rock or stone on the clear bra with a little Scratch X and Zaino. For the few odd chips that happened on a non protected surface Langka chip repair renders an almost invisible repair. Don't mean to sound like a commercial but I have been really happy with these products.
Old 1/8/06, 01:18 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by pittperson@January 8, 2006, 10:15 AM
heh, thats what I'm thinking...decisions, decisions.... Would the car look wierd if I kept the rear facia and bought and aftermarket front?
not at all.I've seen a lot of stangs with new fronts and stock backs
Old 1/8/06, 01:56 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, I would be surprised if the dealer covered paint chips under warranty. If they do, great and let me know what place that was cause paint chips is a normal thing for a car. However, I do know they are excessive on the stang. My entire car is getting repainted due to stone chips however, just so you know, the body kit I had installed chipped the same as the factory paint so I would not consider paint chips a "factory defect/warrany repair". But that's just my 2 cents.
Old 1/9/06, 06:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Got the 3m clear bra on also, couldn't be happier! Remember that option or aftermarket option on your next car, or if you get it repainted. Highly recommend it
Old 1/10/06, 03:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by pittperson@January 7, 2006, 3:12 PM
So I washed my car this afternoon and I must say, this is the first time I've been disappointed after washing my car :notnice:. The front is just littered with paint chips! Is there anyway I can talk my dealer into repainting the front end under warranty? It has only been driven for 10 months.
A repaint most likely would not be as good.

I do not know your driving habits, so this is no reflextion on you.

Our leased 2001 LS was full of paint chips (500) at turn in time. There was no charge for them. Our roads were poor and my wife who drove the car 90% of the time with 80% of that on freeways. My point Michigan has no slow driver keep right Law. My wife is a tailgater on these outside lane slow drivers even on semi's. If you follow too close you will receive chips galore in most areas around here. I had a hard time to break her of that habit with the GT. So far it is chip free, but its not a daily.

No paint will hold up to stone chips. If anyone wishes to keep them to a mininum stay back a car lenght or more for every 10 mph.
Old 1/10/06, 06:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Most of my driving is done on the freeway but I make sure not to tailgate people. I dont like the pressure of having to break at the instant I see breaklights infront of me.

I had a black 2000 Mustang and I dont recall seeing this many chips in the front end.

I guess I'll learn to live with it .....until I buy a body kit
Old 1/10/06, 07:36 PM
FR500 Member

Boy, you give up easy!

Actually there's a test the Dealer can do to see if the car was prepped right. I know of someone who was pissed at all the chips he was getting. The dealer did a pressure test, and it failed miserably. Diagnosis: They never baked his car at the factory....

Results...new paint job.

So you may want to rethink taking it to the dealer, you never know until you try
Old 1/10/06, 07:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by SixtySix@January 10, 2006, 9:39 PM
Boy, you give up easy!

Actually there's a test the Dealer can do to see if the car was prepped right. I know of someone who was pissed at all the chips he was getting. The dealer did a pressure test, and it failed miserably. Diagnosis: They never baked his car at the factory....

Results...new paint job.

So you may want to rethink taking it to the dealer, you never know until you try
Hmm thanks for this info! Do you have any more info on this test that the dealer did? The more ammo the better. Does you friend have an 05 mustang? if he does when was it built?
Old 1/10/06, 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

How much would it cost, and would it be worth it to clear coat the car again when you picked it up from the dealer to maybe prevent or minimize this?

Quick Reply: paint chips galore in the front