2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Owners Of Black And White Gt's...

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/05, 04:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered my 2005 Mustang GT on 1/25 (see signature for details). My father used to own a black 1969 Mach 1 and is POSITIVE that I need to change my order to black. There is a lot of dust in Arizona, meaning the car would never look clean as black, plus watching the buildup of the Boy Racer on the Discovery Channel changed my mind from black to white. I'm a bit concerned however that this car in white just won't look right.

I know the topic of colors has been covered in detail before, but I am soliciting advice and experiences on the look, care and maintenance of owners of both black and white 2005 Mustang GT's. I'm very concerned about the difficulty of keeping the black paint clean, how easy chips / dings show up, etc. In my heart of hearts, I think I want black, but I just can't fathom how much time and effort will be required to keep it looking clean.

Any pictures of either black or white GT's with aftermarket rims would be greatly appreciated. Wheels and tires will be installed on this car the week that I take delivery, so perhaps the look of a white GT with nice rims would seal the deal, or completely change my mind to black depending on the look.

Thanks folks!!!

Sean
Old 1/30/05, 05:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a black GT, and it will be difficult to keep the constant clean look. I would suggest u wax it once every month or two and invest in a pressure washer...rinse it off every weekend (take like 15 - 20 minutes) and on special occasions. She will be lookin sharp most of the time, i guarantee. (This is my 2nd black car, and the 3rd one for the family).
Old 1/30/05, 05:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Boy, I always vote for Black, but if you are in an area that is really dusty all the time, I think you will hate Black.

Mike
Old 1/30/05, 05:12 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In AZ I would not buy black!!! No, not becuase "...Oh it's too hot...Waaah... " But because of my experience w/ my black Jeep. I have a 99 Jeep that spent 3 years in Ohio with no problems, loved it, nothing better than a just waxed black vehicle. But after only a few months in Florida, the paint on the hood looks like crap. It sat outside and didn't move for a while (I have a company car), and the paint developed all kinds of little cracks, people call them crows feet. I'll never buy black again unless I move up North where the sun isn't as intense. I had a painter tell me it's becuase that molecules in the paint get too hot and causes this. Stick w/ the white, or one of the other colors this car comes in. Keep in mind there's titanium in '06!
Old 1/30/05, 05:24 PM
FR500 Member

In dusty conditions and in hot sun, you are going to need to keep your car under cover or covered no matter which color you choose, if you want it to always look nice. If the color you pick is really the one you want to own and be proud of, you will find time to keep her up.
Old 1/30/05, 05:31 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I can tell you from experience (3 black Mustangs) if you're even a little bit of a perfectionist, you won't like the black.
EVERY little scratch and imperfection will jump out at you.
And while a lot of them you'll be able to get rid of, it's the ones you can't get out that will drive you crazy.
Also, being on a new car, it seems they're worse.
All that being said, NOTHING looks better than a new, clean, black car.
Problem is it doesn't stay that way for long.
The bottom line is, I'm getting white.
Old 1/30/05, 05:41 PM
Cobra Member

I got mine black. It is my first black car and it is the biggest pain to keep looking right, but worth every minute. For some reason I don't like this car in white. It doesn't do it justice, IMHO.
Old 1/30/05, 06:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have narrowed it to Torch Red or White - here is the look I would go for with White...
Old 1/30/05, 06:20 PM
V6 Member

Go with white, looks better no matter where u live.
Old 1/30/05, 06:23 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm definitely considering that front end (if I can get it w/o the small driving lights), but those stripes are too narrow for my taste.
Right now, my plans are also white with blue stripes, but so are a lot of other peoples.
I'm thinking of a dark hunter green. The opposite colors of the '66 GT-350S that I like so much.
Old 1/30/05, 06:38 PM
GT Member

Have you looked at a white one in person? I too couldn't decide between my first choice or Mineral Gray or the white-since we live on a gravel road and there is dust flying constantly. Before we had seen it I was leaning towards white simply b/c I know that a lot of dust can accumulate before it starts to look dirty, unlike our MG '01. He wouldn't hear of it, no way that car is going to look good white, and from pictures we had seen it didn't. After I bought it and pulled up in the PW there was no doubt I had made the right choice. It really is beautiful in person, even better after spending an afternoon washing/waxing.

But, in the end it is your car and you will be driving, washing, waxing etc. You don't have to listen to me just because white is the best looking one I've seen
Old 1/30/05, 07:20 PM
Bullitt Member

In a dusty condition, Silver is the only way to go in my opinion as it shows dirt/dust the least...
Old 1/30/05, 07:57 PM
FR500 Member

i have nothing against white cuz i have 1 white car in my driveway.....but theres nothing like a washed and waxed black car right when its done. even tho its dirty soon theres nothing better. black is the way to go and everything looks good with it. white sticks out and tons of lexus' r white. ur not driving a sissy lexus ur driving a MUSTANG!!
Old 1/30/05, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Black for sure. I will post pics of Christine soon!
Old 1/30/05, 08:57 PM

All my cars have either been white or black (2 of each).

The white cars always looked better...keeping the black ones looking nice wore me down all the time, to the point where I just stopped caring how the car looked.

Of course, I didn't have a garage back in those days.

I just picked up my white '05 two days ago, and I can't stop looking at it. She just GLEAMS!! White rocks, especially if you have some inside contrast (like dark charcoal and/or red interior). It also seems a little rare. To date all the ones I've seen on the road have been red or silver.