2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

optional tire sizes

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/04, 10:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I don't think you need 275s. That is what Vettes use on the rear as stock, and we are talking more horsepower and a lighter rear end on that car...
Old 7/22/04, 12:41 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Shea@July 22, 2004, 12:52 PM
Personally, I don't think you need 275s. That is what Vettes use on the rear as stock, and we are talking more horsepower and a lighter rear end on that car...
Cobra's use 275's also. I doubt going from 255's to 275's on the same rim isn't that much of a stretch. Plus, I'm sure 300hp is more than enough to crank those puppies in a standing burnout.

I like the look of 255's as well. It all depends if ford offers 18's + 255's. If I go aftermarket, I may as well get 275's.
Old 7/22/04, 01:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I suppose, except that they will make the ride worse, won't give you that much increased traction, and cost a lot more. Not worth it to me, but to each his own.

I like fatties just as much as anyone else, that's why I put a 170 on the back of my bike (much wider than stock).
Old 7/22/04, 03:58 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Shea@July 22, 2004, 3:13 PM
I suppose, except that they will make the ride worse, won't give you that much increased traction, and cost a lot more. Not worth it to me, but to each his own.

I like fatties just as much as anyone else, that's why I put a 170 on the back of my bike (much wider than stock).
Why would it make the ride worse if you keep the sidewall height almost the same?

Wider tires do tend to follow groves etc. in the road more but I can't see how 18" 255 and 18" 275 would be much different in terms of ride quality?
Old 7/22/04, 04:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Dan+July 22, 2004, 12:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dan @ July 22, 2004, 12:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Shea@July 22, 2004, 12:52 PM
Cobra's use 275's also. I doubt going from 255's to 275's on the same rim isn't that much of a stretch. Plus, I'm sure 300hp is more than enough to crank those puppies in a standing burnout.

I like the look of 255's as well. It all depends if ford offers 18's + 255's. If I go aftermarket, I may as well get 275's. [/b][/quote]
I think I'm stickin with the 275's . The 255's on my cobra handle a little better than the 245's I had on some time back.The 255's came stock on the 95 cobra which has 8 inch rims and the tires do not even come close to buldging out .might consider 255's for the front, I'll try and see. It's great to have your best friend own a tire shop.With these different size tires, The speedometer will only be off 1-1.5 mph off either way depending on the side wall size you go with.

Ps- I think ebay is making more room on their web site to handle the influx of bfg 235/55/17 being sold soon. The tire companies that make the 255's and 275's must be watching closely also.I think a good % of people will replace the stock tires. Your gonna have some people waiting to burn out the stock set( which most likely WILL be quickly. Ijust don't see that 235 sticking at all! can you say 100 yrd burnouts)And then your gonna have freaks like me. sell them on ebay to compensate for the new tire cost.
What ever people choose ,I think This year Gt model will have the least amount of stock tires and wheels seen on the road than any other year mustang sold.
Humm idea- sticky poll. New gt owners who replaced stock tires.
Old 7/22/04, 04:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wider tires will give you better handling (better grip), but a worse ride (there is more of the tire to hit bumps). It is a tradeoff. Shorter sidewallys also give you a worse ride because they can't flex as much.

I guess it all depends on what is important to you.
Old 7/22/04, 04:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Shea@July 22, 2004, 4:46 PM
Wider tires will give you better handling (better grip), but a worse ride (there is more of the tire to hit bumps). It is a tradeoff. Shorter sidewallys also give you a worse ride because they can't flex as much.

My understanding was that wider tires would give better grip if they hot and sticky, but narrower tires are better in wet conditions. Any physics majors out there ? :scratch:
Old 7/22/04, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Wider tires are better for dry conditions because the contact patch with the road is wider. More contact area = more friction = more grip.

The problem with wider tires and rain is when you hit a puddle the water has to go somewhere. So now you nice wide tire must displace a fair amount of water. If it has the channels, or tread pattern to push the water out the shoulder, you're good to go. But if it doesn't, the water goes b/n the tread and the road, which causes hydroplaning. Think of a drag slick. If you hit a puddle, where's the water going to go? No where. That's why slicks are never used when it's wet. Most newer tires have been designed to take this into consideration, so I wouldn't worry too much. And if it's a monsoon, you shouldn't be driving fast anyways.
Old 7/22/04, 09:53 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by FinlayZJ@July 22, 2004, 8:47 PM
Wider tires are better for dry conditions because the contact patch with the road is wider. More contact area = more friction = more grip.

The problem with wider tires and rain is when you hit a puddle the water has to go somewhere. So now you nice wide tire must displace a fair amount of water. If it has the channels, or tread pattern to push the water out the shoulder, you're good to go. But if it doesn't, the water goes b/n the tread and the road, which causes hydroplaning. Think of a drag slick. If you hit a puddle, where's the water going to go? No where. That's why slicks are never used when it's wet. Most newer tires have been designed to take this into consideration, so I wouldn't worry too much. And if it's a monsoon, you shouldn't be driving fast anyways.
I think a good set of tires, ie. BFG's KDW's will work fine in the rain even at a width of 275.

BTW, Shea, the 275's are only 2 cm wider so I personally don't think that reduced ride quality because of the chance that those extra 2 cm will hit something is really that big a deal. Sidewall is also the same so you won't loose anything there. In some cases (as Boomer posted a page back) you may even have a bit more sidewall. Depends what you choose.

I think the bigger issue for ride quality comes when going from 17 to 18" rims. Even that arguement isn't as big as it would be for the 99+ stangs as the overall tire+rim diameter has been increased on the 05.
Old 7/23/04, 12:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I agree, and let's hope that the 05 has the suspension to make up for the increase in wheel diameter.

As excited as I am about the car, I want to still be realistic about it.

For instance, here in Michigan, we can get snow on the same day that we get sun, so for me to move up from a 235 to a 275 might equal me sitting in the parking lot spinning my tires.

The smaller your contact patch, the more weight on that patch, and therefore the better the traction in unfavorable conditions.

I realize that we aren't buying Stangs to drive in the winter, but unfortunately I know only too well the result of having fatties in wet conditions (my GTA Trans Am stinked in wet or snowy conditions). Like I said, it all depends on what is important (and relevant) to you.
Old 7/23/04, 03:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Shea@July 22, 2004, 4:46 PM

Hey guys, I put falken 275/50/17 on the rear of my 95 cobra today.I had to do it,my tires were spent anyway. I have 255/45/17s on the front.Mind you I have stock cobra rims. Let me just say. They look great,handle great,launch better and NO BULG !!! The car looks mean when taking a few steps back at the rear. A LOT of meat. The 275 and 255's compliment each other very well. I do think that 275's on the front would be a little much
Old 7/23/04, 07:46 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by 2005muzzy+July 23, 2004, 5:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2005muzzy @ July 23, 2004, 5:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Shea@July 22, 2004, 4:46 PM

Hey guys, I put falken 275/50/17 on the rear of my 95 cobra today.I had to do it,my tires were spent anyway. I have 255/45/17s on the front.Mind you I have stock cobra rims. Let me just say. They look great,handle great,launch better and NO BULG !!! The car looks mean when taking a few steps back at the rear. A LOT of meat. The 275 and 255's compliment each other very well. I do think that 275's on the front would be a little much [/b][/quote]
Good to hear. Maybe post pics sometime.

The 03 Cobra has 275's all around and I think it looks fine.
Old 7/23/04, 08:18 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by 2005muzzy@July 22, 2004, 4:31 PM
I like the look of 255's as well. It all depends if ford offers 18's + 255's. If I go aftermarket, I may as well get 275's.

I think I'm stickin with the 275's . The 255's on my cobra handle a little better than the 245's I had on some time back.The 255's came stock on the 95 cobra which has 8 inch rims and the tires do not even come close to buldging out .might consider 255's for the front, I'll try and see. It's great to have your best friend own a tire shop.With these different size tires, The speedometer will only be off 1-1.5 mph off either way depending on the side wall size you go with.
[/quote]
The 95 Cobra R came with 9 inch wide rear wheels. And while the tire width is correct. You could add some more to it.
Old 7/23/04, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by svtdriver@July 23, 2004, 8:21 AM
Originally Posted by 2005muzzy,July 22, 2004, 4:31 PM

The 95 Cobra R came with 9 inch wide rear wheels. And while the tire width is correct. You could add some more to it.
[/quote]
Idon't have a cobra r Just a cobra
Old 7/23/04, 11:57 AM
FR500 Member

Hey, 2005muzzy... does your 95 Cobra have 8" wide or 9" wide wheels? Just curious to know, because you put 275's on the rear tires and say it looks good with no buldge. If your Cobra has 8" rear wheels like the '05, I might be sold on the 275's vs. the 255's. And like Dan suggested, maybe you could take a digital pic and upload it here so we can see what it looks like.
Old 7/23/04, 11:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by os121@July 22, 2004, 4:52 PM

My understanding was that wider tires would give better grip if they hot and sticky, but narrower tires are better in wet conditions. Any physics majors out there ? :scratch:
You don't have to be a physics major (I was for a couple of years, though).

You just need to have a few years of driving experience in different cars.

Wider tires are more lightly loaded per square inch. Lighter loading means less ability to squeeze out water away from the tread (all other things being equal, meaning if the tread designs are similar, etc).

Compounding this problem is that the water often needs to go FURTHER away (from the center of the tread to any edge)! Think of it... which is going to plane on water easier... a wide flat tire or a skinny bicycle tire, each with 900 lbs on it. The wider tire is like a slippery snow shoe.

I've driven large cars ('75 caddy eldo convertible for one...) and small cars (Jettas) as daily drivers. On my Jetta I had stock tires (185's/55 I think) followed by lower profile, 205/45's.

The same holds true for snow... for most winter conditions, you want tall skinny snow tires on your truck, so it can bite down through the snow and into the road. Wide tires are for floating over sand or other muck that has no bottom (that you'll keep sinking in).
Old 7/23/04, 11:42 PM

Yep, what Bill Plien said. Myself mentioned this less eloquently earlier. The stock tires are plenty wide for all around "transportation" purposes. If you never plan on taking your stang out on wet roads then go as wide as your wallet allows. IMHO: For street and strip you need two set of tires, period.
Old 7/24/04, 08:03 AM
Bullitt Member

My 97 cobra has 17 x9 cobra Rs with the original 245 BFs on it no problems, however if I would replace them I would go wider.