Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open thread! Top HIDGuy.Net HID Conversion troubleshooting, tips, and questions

Search this Thread

Old 12/3/12, 12:09 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open thread! Top HIDGuy.Net HID Conversion troubleshooting, tips, and questions

Don't really see a topic around, so figured i would open one up. If anyone has any questions about kits, troubleshooting, or just have general questions about them in general...this is the thread! Here to help. If anything check out our HIDKits at HIDGuy.Net.
Old 12/3/12, 01:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I put your kit in sometime ago when I had the GT fascia and the buckets had the plastic cap in front of the bulbs. I recently put a GT500 fascia on and the buckets don't have the cap and there's quite a lot of glare , do you have bulbs with the painted tips ?
Old 12/3/12, 01:57 PM
GT Member

No unfortunately not, Check out the picture...

Because the bulb is not like a halogen bulb and has a pocket where the salts and gases are ignited it only shines from one area. Dipping the front end of the bulb would do nothing because the fact that the light is not being projected of shined through that area.

The only thing you would be able to do is adjust your light up and down to reduce the glare that is being shined into on coming traffic. The only way to get ultimately get around the whole glare issue is to actually do a projector retrofit inside those headlights where you would get a cut off line and thus reducing glare.
Old 12/3/12, 09:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HIDGUY
Don't really see a topic around, so figured i would open one up. If anyone has any questions about kits, troubleshooting, or just have general questions about them in general...this is the thread! Here to help. If anything check out our HIDKits at HIDGuy.Net.
I take it you sell kits?
Old 12/3/12, 11:15 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Zaksgt
I take it you sell kits?
Yes we are a vendor here at mustang source. We sell HID Kits and LED bulbs as well. Hidguy.net
Old 12/4/12, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Do 55w HIDs require a more complicated install or pose greater risks as far as heat build up in the headlights or anything like that?
Old 12/4/12, 01:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Kevin509
Do 55w HIDs require a more complicated install or pose greater risks as far as heat build up in the headlights or anything like that?
Well 55 watt ballast do not require more of a complicated insetall then its 35 watt counterparts. Ballast are the same as them only difference is how the internals convert the power.

Now for the risk, there is a risk but sometimes it depends on how big the housing is. FOG LIGHT housings is a big no no and you will melt housings and it is not recommend for 55 watt ballast in fog light housings. You do that upon your own risk.

As for headlights its a little more safe but you still run that risk. Just depends on how fast that housing can get rid of high heat. What we tell customers is that if you have no experience with 55 watt ballast then we recommend to stay away from them 35 watt ballast do the job and to a untrained eye you wont notice the difference.
Old 12/4/12, 02:43 PM

I own a 2008 Gt that has the stock HID package. I'm interested in getting a kit for the fog lights so they they are all the same color. Do you know what color temp the stock ford hid kit is? And if so, do you sell a kit of that temp? Thanks!
Old 12/4/12, 04:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AirandAsphalt
I own a 2008 Gt that has the stock HID package. I'm interested in getting a kit for the fog lights so they they are all the same color. Do you know what color temp the stock ford hid kit is? And if so, do you sell a kit of that temp? Thanks!
The stock color is going to be 4,3k. Our 5k will closely match that kelvin rating.

Yes we do sell a kit for that application:

2005-2013 Mustang GT Fog Light HID Kit

let me know if you need anything else.
Old 12/5/12, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm in the same position as airandasphalt. Stock hids ford and looking to make the fog lights similar to the hid color. But I Dont really want to go the whole hid kit route. So, I was thinking LED. Do you guys carry LED bulbs? I've seen H10 LED bulbs that fit directly into the stock connector on ebay. If you guys do, what do you think about LED for fog lights? I know they want exactly provide the purpose behind fog lights(even though they're in a bad spot for useful fog lights), but at least itll even up the look to my stock hids.
Old 12/6/12, 01:43 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tu3218
I'm in the same position as airandasphalt. Stock hids ford and looking to make the fog lights similar to the hid color. But I Dont really want to go the whole hid kit route. So, I was thinking LED. Do you guys carry LED bulbs? I've seen H10 LED bulbs that fit directly into the stock connector on ebay. If you guys do, what do you think about LED for fog lights? I know they want exactly provide the purpose behind fog lights(even though they're in a bad spot for useful fog lights), but at least itll even up the look to my stock hids.

Correct going LED would definitely be for looks and that is it! you will lose all performance on going LED for sure.
Old 12/6/12, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

But apparently the 2013 mustangs fog lights are LED. So are they just appearance for the new one then? He states that they are about half way through. I asked him the color temp, and he said about 5000k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yLX...e_gdata_player
Old 12/6/12, 10:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
But apparently the 2013 mustangs fog lights are LED. So are they just appearance for the new one then? He states that they are about half way through. I asked him the color temp, and he said about 5000k.

No the 2013+ fogs are specifically designed for the special LEDs that Ford chose. Throwing in an LED bulb into a halogen housing will throw light all over. It's just an appearance mod.
Old 12/6/12, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

No the 2013+ fogs are specifically designed for the special LEDs that Ford chose. Throwing in an LED bulb into a halogen housing will throw light all over. It's just an appearance mod.
Ahhh I see. You think it'd look good? At the same time I don't want to blind on coming cars. The fog light placement on the gt doesn't really help anyway. Fog lights are suppose to be towards the bottom, is what my understanding is. I'm just trying to even the look up.
Old 12/6/12, 10:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Ahhh I see. You think it'd look good? At the same time I don't want to blind on coming cars. The fog light placement on the gt doesn't really help anyway. Fog lights are suppose to be towards the bottom, is what my understanding is. I'm just trying to even the look up.
I almost got LEDs for my fogs on my Escape but I wanted them to be brighter, so I got the full HID kit. I went with contrasting 3000k on the fogs (yellow color) instead of matching. I have 5000k low beams.
Old 12/6/12, 01:20 PM
GT Member

Yes they are LED but they are designed to project light. Drop in LEDs are not going to shine the same due to the reflector.
Old 12/6/12, 01:21 PM
GT Member

Also understand that as you want to not blind on coming drivers, even with your halogens you going to and even if you had projectors you are still going to.
Old 12/6/12, 02:30 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
---
I installed Höen H10 fog light bulbs on m 2011 GT. It's just a simple bulb replacement, but boy does it make a huge difference - both for appearance and the bright, wide, white, clear beam of light it projects. See this thread on TMS:
https://themustangsource.com/f802/up...ts-how-506365/
I hope this helps you.
HIDGUY - I know you're the expert, and a full kit is the better (albeit more expensive) way to go. Did not mean to hi-jack your thread, sir, just trying to help the TMS members.
Good luck!
Old 12/6/12, 02:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
I installed Höen H10 fog light bulbs on m 2011 GT. It's just a simple bulb replacement, but boy does it make a huge difference - both for appearance and the bright, wide, white, clear beam of light it projects. See this thread on TMS:
https://themustangsource.com/f802/up...ts-how-506365/
I hope this helps you.
HIDGUY - I know you're the expert, and a full kit is the better (albeit more expensive) way to go. Did not mean to hi-jack your thread, sir, just trying to help the TMS members.
Good luck!
I actually have them and though they are more white, I'm still not satisfied lol. I'm sure if I put the stock bulbs back in I'd see the difference again though. I'm gonna check into these hids or go led.
Old 12/7/12, 01:31 PM
GT Member

I actually have them and though they are more white, I'm still not satisfied lol. I'm sure if I put the stock bulbs back in I'd see the difference again though. I'm gonna check into these hids or go led.
Put those halogen bulbs next to a HID bulb or a LED bulb and you will see they are not where near white. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Open thread! Top HIDGuy.Net HID Conversion troubleshooting, tips, and questions