2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Ok here we go again, lack of paint on my 05

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/05, 07:07 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I know this is going probably sound stupid and probably just a little picky. But I just wonted to know how your paint looks under the hood, inner door jams and trunk.

A few weeks back I picked up my dream mustang. A wonderful 2005 Sonic Blue GT. At first glance I was too enthused with the car to notice any of my car’s flaws. One huge flaw I have as some of you may know is the quality of the paint. I would love to bring this car to shows, however opening the hood is an embarrassment, as the top of the hood, part of the firewall, the shock towers, the sides of the inner front u body, and even the trunk is not painted well at all, some spots have no paint at all and I see is the factory body primer/sealer. It looks as if the car was assembled and then painted just around everything ? Perhaps Ford was trying to save on the Sonic Blue to make it thru the last of the 05s :scratch: ? My uncle has a V6; one he bought off the lot over 6months ago, his is fine hardly any bear spots to speak of.

Your feed back would be greatly appreciated,

This winter I think may strip the car and touch it up myself.
Old 8/18/05, 07:11 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say bring it back to the dealer. I have sonic blue as well and don't have those problems. Although today my car was attacked by thousands of stones. Looks like I might have to repaint the entire car :bang:
Old 8/18/05, 07:31 PM
GT Member

John,
Thanks for the reply John, not too sure what the dealer can do about the paint under the hood though, I am sure they think I am a pain as it is.

Sorry to here about the stones. How bad is it? I live in the country and they are taring and stoning a lot of roads around here and most people here drive beat up farm trucks and don’t bother to slow down they drive past either.

-Adam
Old 8/18/05, 07:34 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@August 18, 2005, 8:14 PM
I'd say bring it back to the dealer. I have sonic blue as well and don't have those problems. Although today my car was attacked by thousands of stones. Looks like I might have to repaint the entire car :bang:

Adrenalin,,

What happened?
Old 8/18/05, 08:51 PM
V6 Member

I have the same problem too, except not as much. i've noticed little spots here and there, such as the inside the fuel door and underneath the car on the inside of the rear bumper. but those are about it. nothing serious. just little things i noticed....
Old 8/18/05, 08:57 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I go to work I always take this highway. I turn onto the highway and about 5 minutes later it turns from nice tar to loose gravel. I have no idea what the city was thinking. They covered the entire highway in gravel for close to 3 miles until the next turn off. Well tons of us slowed down but guys in construction trucks and transports blew past us in the other lane. My car was viciously attacked by gravel. The front bumper, hood, top of the car, sides of the car and rocker panels are all damaged. Lots of stone chips all over the place. I am calling the city tomorrow to see what, if anything, they are going to do about it. I have a feeling this is going to be an insurance job :bang:
Old 8/18/05, 09:04 PM
FR500 Member

That's effed up!
Old 8/18/05, 09:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

doh!! sorry to hear about that john! :bang:

Kind of reminds me of when I had my Altima, and was stuck on the highway (couldn't pass) right behind an old Suburban that had the end of the exhaust pipe literally dragging on the ground. The metal from the pipe scraping against the concrete kept sending sparks like gunfire right at my car for a good mile (until I could get off at the next exit). The entire front of the car (including the entire windshield) was peppered with chips with "burn" marks.

Hopefully in your case, the city will do something to compensate you for the damage (or at least the insurance company will waive any deductable)... a gravel highway just sounds odd.
Old 8/18/05, 09:33 PM

adrenlin, I think you do have a legitimate insurance claim, I believe that vehicles that kick up stones, drop cargo, or let materials fly behind them in their wake are responsible to making good on damage to your vehicle. The hard part is to prove they were the cause of the incident -especially if they were going the other way. Talk to your insurance person and don't take no for an answer
Old 8/18/05, 10:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have sonic blue and have none of those problems either.
Old 8/19/05, 08:26 AM
GT Member

I've actually noticed the opposite where the red overspray appears at various points on the underbody and frame---a little sloppy, but nothing like you stated where there is obviously paint missing. As said before, maybe a return to dealer for your problem. Mine will disappear over time.

Adrenalin, makes me sick just thinking about your car with all those chips. I got caught on a newly graveled road a week after I got mine and got 2 small chips on the hood and I'm still reeling. Feel for you, man.
Old 8/19/05, 10:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like everyone else I am sorry to hear about that John. Truly that is one for your insurance company. As for the lack of paint take it to the dealer and complain about it :notnice:
Old 8/19/05, 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

John, Paint your car Daytona Blue. I'd love to see that. That's the blue that the 350Z is painted.
Old 8/19/05, 10:39 AM
GT Member

Not that I have anything to add about the lack of paint under the hood/trunk - mine is kinda sparse in spots as well...

John - I feel your pain. I lived in Minnesota for several years and they do that every late summer fall to help fill the cracks in the road before winter arrives. Guess it saves wear & tear on the MNDOT plows. I used to love hitting that gravel when I was riding my Goldwing.