2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Oil question (not the typical one)

Search this Thread

Old 12/6/07, 01:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys. I finally called Ford customer service in an effort to get to the bottom of this. After going through all the pleasantries (What’s Kuwait? Where’s that? What are ya doin there?…) I explained my situation. The rep seemed very concerned, said that this should not be, and that Ford will go after that dealership, because at the end of the day its Ford that will have to cover the warranty. He asked for my number and email and left me feeling very bad about what damage I may have done to my car.

Less than 15 minutes later, the regional manager of Ford MENA (MidEast & North Africa) called me and explained to me that Ford engineers actually recommend using 10w30 in the climate of this part of the world. He even said that using 5w20 will cause some serious oil shearing in the summer heat. He further explained that the difference between the two is minimal in cold flow viscosity and that the pump will not have to work harder. Even if I find 5w20 here, he said it would still be better to use the 10w30.

Thanks for all your help. As usual, this forum never disappoints.
Old 12/6/07, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by zaghloul
Thanks for all the input guys. I finally called Ford customer service in an effort to get to the bottom of this. After going through all the pleasantries (What’s Kuwait? Where’s that? What are ya doin there?…) I explained my situation. The rep seemed very concerned, said that this should not be, and that Ford will go after that dealership, because at the end of the day its Ford that will have to cover the warranty. He asked for my number and email and left me feeling very bad about what damage I may have done to my car.

Less than 15 minutes later, the regional manager of Ford MENA (MidEast & North Africa) called me and explained to me that Ford engineers actually recommend using 10w30 in the climate of this part of the world. He even said that using 5w20 will cause some serious oil shearing in the summer heat. He further explained that the difference between the two is minimal in cold flow viscosity and that the pump will not have to work harder. Even if I find 5w20 here, he said it would still be better to use the 10w30.

Thanks for all your help. As usual, this forum never disappoints.
Figured Ford could ultimately set things straight. I'd save any e-mails and make memorandums for record of your phone cons with the national and MENA rep just in case you run into lube issues later or upon returning with the vehicle stateside. I am curious to know if running 5W20 Syn would still not be recommended.
Old 12/6/07, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

so how many others here run 5w-30 instead of 5w-20?

I ask because I am about to change over to synthetic( im at 5k miles) and costco had 6 quarts on sale, but only in 5w30.
Old 12/6/07, 12:42 PM

I still use the 5W20.
Old 12/6/07, 01:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run 5-30 for now as a bit of an experiment. I check my used oil with analysis every oil change, and I had good luck with 5-30 Mobil 1. I then switched back to Pennzoil Platinum 5-20 and my wear metals went up slightly. I'm going back to 5-30 to see if my wear goes back down again.
Old 12/6/07, 06:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
very cool
Old 12/6/07, 07:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Here's the last few oil analysis I have done, just for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails Oil question (not the typical one)-combined-oil-report.jpg  
Old 12/7/07, 10:42 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Again,

The 5W20 is to meet the CAFE Ratings only, you can run 5W30 without any problems.

However, Synthetic 5W20 will provide a Viscosity / Sheer rating greater than most petroleum oils, and still protect the engine in both hot & cold situations.

Remeber, NASCAR teams use straight 0 weight for qualifing and in certain race applications. I know I supply it to them.
However it is SYNTHETIC.

TDS
Old 12/9/07, 09:36 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Do you guys see any problem running a 0W20 Synthetic in the winter?
Old 12/9/07, 12:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

I don't see a problem with that. You're in Chicago, so it gets fairly cold there. I don't think I would run it past winter though, with you being supercharged and all. A 5-30 would provide some extra protection for you in the summer with your added HP.
Old 12/9/07, 05:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
I don't see a problem with that. You're in Chicago, so it gets fairly cold there. I don't think I would run it past winter though, with you being supercharged and all. A 5-30 would provide some extra protection for you in the summer with your added HP.
Yea I don't think it will be an issue either. When the engine is up to temperature it will still act like a 20W. I just want the protection under initial startup for my supercharger.