Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OIL CHANGE INTERVALS /MOBILE 1

Search this Thread

Old 10/21/05, 11:38 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Hugo6705@October 20, 2005, 5:45 PM
You Mobile 1 users ... what mileage intervals are you changing you oil? In lieu of 3000 miles, what's your opinion of 5000 miles interval?

There are two issues.

One is warranty.
FORD says 5,000 mile intervals, so to keep your car covered, 5,000 it is (and if doing it yourself, keep the oil/filter receipts)

The oil lasts much longer, typically 15,000 miles is perfectly good.
I have a 2004 Range Rover.
This one has the BMW engine and the OEM fill is Mobil 1.
The recommended change interval is 15,000.

This takes into account this engine is under a lot of load this being a heavy SUV and not that much power, 295 hp, AND that it is an off road vehicle that puts a bunch of stress on it.

[And yes I DO off road the thing, Not Mickey Thompson style but very challenging trails.]

My neighbor has a newish BMW.

No fixed in stone change intervals, the computer figures it out; last change interval was something on the order of 18,000 miles.

I first started using Mobil 1 in the 70’s with my racing motorcycles.
I remember tearing down a street/track bike (Honda 400F) that I managed to put some 40,000 miles on – using Mobil 1.

Normally, the engine with mineral oil (I owned four at the time and did a side by side comparison) would show a lot of wear. This engine looked like it hadn’t been broken in. Original cylinder honing, crank bearing, rockers….all looked new.

I use Mobil 1 exclusively.
Old 10/21/05, 12:10 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Adam8g@October 21, 2005, 11:41 AM
There are two issues.

One is warranty.
FORD says 5,000 mile intervals, so to keep your car covered, 5,000 it is (and if doing it yourself, keep the oil/filter receipts)
:nono:
Directly from Amsoil's web site
"Fortunately, there is a law called the Magnusson-Moss Act that says, in laymans terms, an OEM cannot require a consumer to use an OEM part or fluid in order to maintain warranty coverage unless that part or fluid is provided free of charge.

I can't speak for other oil companies, but I can say that AMSOIL warrants its oil against lubrication related failure. We have 28 years experience and wouldnt be in business today if engine failures were a problem. We have more experience with synthetics and extended drain intervals than anyone in the industry.

From another web site:
"Q. Does installing an aftermarket part, automatically void my vehicle factory warranty?
A. NO, According to the Magnusson-Moss Act of 1975 (see below):

The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from such fradulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's orginial warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warrany or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner's manual under, "what is not covered". Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or offer an explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202.326.3128) administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law. "

Dave...
Old 10/21/05, 12:22 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by LLG05@October 21, 2005, 11:13 AM
:nono:
Directly from Amsoil's web site
"Fortunately, there is a law called the Magnusson-Moss Act that says, in laymans terms, an OEM cannot require a consumer to use an OEM part or fluid in order to maintain warranty coverage unless that part or fluid is provided free of charge.

I can't speak for other oil companies, but I can say that AMSOIL warrants its oil against lubrication related failure. We have 28 years experience and wouldnt be in business today if engine failures were a problem. We have more experience with synthetics and extended drain intervals than anyone in the industry.

From another web site:
"Q. Does installing an aftermarket part, automatically void my vehicle factory warranty? A. NO, According to the Magnusson-Moss Act of 1975 (see below):

The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from such fradulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's orginial warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warrany or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner's manual under, "what is not covered". Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or offer an explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202.326.3128) administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law. "

Dave...

Great Dave, but read the question.
And read my answer.

The question was about oil change interval and Mobil 1.

Did I say one needs to use Motorcraft oil / filter?
No.

I was responding to the QUESTION.

The question was about the oil change INTERVAL.

And if you do NOT change oil / filter at the interval specified by the manufacturer, you can void the warranty .
As long as the oil / filter meet manufactures specs - use what you want.

I use Mobil 1.

So I am glad that Amsoil agrees with me.
Old 10/21/05, 01:43 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Adam8g@October 21, 2005, 12:25 PM
Great Dave, but read the question.
And read my answer.

The question was about oil change interval and Mobil 1.

Did I say one needs to use Motorcraft oil / filter?
No.

I was responding to the QUESTION.

The question was about the oil change INTERVAL.

And if you do NOT change oil / filter at the interval specified by the manufacturer, you can void the warranty .
As long as the oil / filter meet manufactures specs - use what you want.

I use Mobil 1.

So I am glad that Amsoil agrees with me.
I was just trying to point out, that Alot of dealers say, Don't use anything else, or you'll void the warranty! If my engine goes, I will demand, on-the-spot, that WE, (Dealer & I) go drain my oil and I'll take 6-8 ounce's myself and have it analyzed! I don't care what Ford says about the change intervals, if Amsoil will stand behind their product for the extended drain intervals, then Ford will Still have to prove, that my oil was Bad. Even if I don't drain it for 10,000. Then if the oil analysis comes back good, I'm covered!
This topic always turns out to be a Heated, do this / don't do that! Look, I can't afford to throw around $30,000 and not worry about it! I Over-protect my ride, because that's me! You do what you want, you paid for your ride! Besides, like alot of other Stang owners, soon I'll throw on the SC and then I know, I'm on-my-own anyway. Again, Ford would still have to prove that the SC casued the problem, but when you end-up in court, I figure most layman don't know crap about SC cars and will rule in Ford's favor anyway. So, I'll go into the SC install as if I no longer have a warranty anyway!
**Disclaimer** I'm no expert, (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night) Do what you want to your vehicle's! DON'T TAKE MY ADVICE :scratch:
Dave...
Old 10/21/05, 03:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear ya Dave... I personally don't care much about Ford wanting the oil changed every 5000 miles. If their local rep's want to try to void my warranty for changing my oil more frequently I'll create enough bad publicity for the dealership that the owners head will spin.
Old 10/22/05, 07:48 AM
Bullitt Member

I've heard that the new BMWs with synthetic oil and an oil-life monitoring sensor don't call for a change until 10000-13000 miles. My brother has a 1992 Corvette...his light usually comes on after about 10K and then he probably waits another 2-3K before he gets around to changing it. He has about 135,000 on the engine now with no problems whatsoever.

So, you can change it as frequently as you want, but I really think with synthetic you can go a lot longer.....save yourself some time, $$$$, and save the planet too.

As for me, I changed the oil on my old 92 GT every 3-4K with regualr oil. It went 186,000 miles with no trouble before I sold it.
Old 10/22/05, 03:12 PM
V6 Member

The only reason you have to change oil is because it starts getting dirty, and loses viscosity. Synthetic oil just gets dirty, it won't start breaking down for about 10k mi
Old 11/25/05, 10:30 AM
Bullitt Member

For some reason i cant find any 5w 20w Mobile 1 oil in my area. I been to Wal Mart Auto Zone and ect. I live Kansas City Mo
Old 11/25/05, 10:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Use Mobil 1 - Change every 3,000 - 4,000.
Old 11/25/05, 11:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I use Mobil1 changed on the 5K schedule.
Old 12/18/05, 10:04 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The mobile 1 your talking about is the 5w-20 synthetic right?
Old 12/19/05, 06:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mobil 1, every 5k miles. I use either the 5w20 or 0w20 depending on what is in stock. I also use Mobil1 on the 00 explorer at 5k intervals.
Old 12/19/05, 08:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Changed mine with the recommended Motorcraft synthetic blend at 1500 miles, then switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-20 at 3000 miles, and every 3000 miles after that. Just changed it again yesterday at 6000 miles, and the oil was dirty, but not filthy.

The maintenance schedule recommends changing the oil every 5000 miles under normal conditions. I change it every 3000 miles because 90% of my driving is city driving between 30 and 50 mph.

The only slight problem is that the price of oil has risen with the price of gas... Now, Mobil 1 5W-20 is $5.36/quart at Walmart. The 5-quart jug would be cheaper, but the Walmart I went to didn't have it. Has anyone seen 5W-20 in the 5-quart jug?
Old 12/19/05, 06:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Every 5000 miles. Rotate the tires too.