2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Oem Ford Lost My Wheel Lock Key / Mcgard Genuine Ford Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/07, 07:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Angry Oem Ford Lost My Wheel Lock Key / Mcgard Genuine Ford Accessories

Greaaaaaaattttt...

Back in January when my Pony was crashed the body shop replaced my damaged Fanblade. No big deal right?

Found out that they didn't give me back my wheel lock key today the hard way - when I left the office I was greeted by a flat tire! "No big deal" I think, and get ready to change out the tire... then I realize that THERE IS NO KEY!!!

The body shop was the last one to have it, and they claim to know nothing about its current location.

So here is my problem: HOW DO I GET THE WHEEL LOCKS OFF THE CAR?!?!?

Advice anyone? I don't want to thrash my Fanblades.

UPDATED TITLE FOR SEARCHABILITY!
Kc Admin
Old 5/1/07, 07:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should have a number on the documents that came with your wheel locks. Use that number to contact the manufacturer to get a replacement key.
Old 5/1/07, 07:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 1200custom
You should have a number on the documents that came with your wheel locks. Use that number to contact the manufacturer to get a replacement key.
And what if your like myself who bought the car used and the lock kit came with no paperwork?
Old 5/1/07, 07:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
So here is my problem: HOW DO I GET THE WHEEL LOCKS OFF THE CAR?!?!?
You can do one of two things:

1) Go to a local tire shop and ask them if you can borrow the tool to remove wheel locks (that's if you know that tire shop well)
2) Get a socket that's just SLIGHTLY smaller than the lug nut. What will happen is that the socket will actually conform around the lug nut and take it off. Basically, the hex pattern engraves itself in the lugnut, while at the same time (hopefully) loosening it up enough so that it can be removed.

I will warn though: do with caution and understand that you *may* do worse damage. Also, your socket may become shot.
Old 5/1/07, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Find a shop that has the tools that will get them off and replace the locks. I used to work for a tire shop and there are tools available that can get wheel locks off without a key.
Old 5/1/07, 07:50 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Some tire shops have seen this often enough to have a socket with sharp splines in it that is just about the right size.
They pound it on and turn off the lug lock.
You may be able to build your own from a socket or find a shop that has a tool.
A dremel tool can also be used to slowly build points onto the outside of the lug lock until it can work like a regular nut.
Old 5/1/07, 07:56 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't know about the fanblades, but if they are like the 18" polished bullits, the locking lug nut is next to useless IMO. My locking lug nut sticks out so far you could easily get a pipe wrench or vise grips on the lug nut and take it off. Also, I have used the socket trick. You find a slightly smaller socket and hammer it on. FYI - You will probably end up ruining the socket.
Old 5/1/07, 08:31 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of wheel locks they use, but would the Gator Grip gimmick help?
Old 5/1/07, 08:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I'm not sure what kind of wheel locks they use, but would the Gator Grip gimmick help?
Probably not, because I don't think that the Gator grip works well on round bolts.

The wheel locks are typically cylindrical with the little engraving in the lug nut that you put the adapter on. That's why you can put a smaller sized socket on to it...to let the angles of the socket dig into the lugnut to turn it enough to get it loose.
Old 5/1/07, 08:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Tire shop, remove locks, get regular nuts. Locks are a waste of money imo, unless they are gorilla locks.
Old 5/1/07, 09:18 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
**** that sucks
Old 5/1/07, 09:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tispco
I don't know about the fanblades, but if they are like the 18" polished bullits, the locking lug nut is next to useless IMO. My locking lug nut sticks out so far you could easily get a pipe wrench or vise grips on the lug nut and take it off. Also, I have used the socket trick. You find a slightly smaller socket and hammer it on. FYI - You will probably end up ruining the socket.
They are recessed
Old 5/1/07, 09:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Could a hole be drilled in the center of it tap it stick in a bolt , and then try to twist it out ?
Old 5/1/07, 09:40 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[quote=mikes rx;906928]Probably not, because I don't think that the Gator grip works well on round bolts.

The wheel locks are typically cylindrical with the little engraving in the lug nut that you put the adapter on.quote]

Would the Gator pins have enough bite into the engraved section? Anyone got one of these want to give it a try?
Old 5/2/07, 05:10 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Samething happen on a Van that I had, plus it was in the middle of the Winter. I used a 1/4" socket (Craftmans Sears) and hammer it onto the star pattern of the lock design. I got the wheel off, the lock nut was toast and the socket was returned to Sears for a new one. I also took off all the rest of the locks after I reorder the correct tool and throw them all away
Old 5/2/07, 05:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just pound a socket on there, had to do this on my fox despite having the key, the pattern had worn out and would no longer get enough bite to turn the lug nut. Wheel locks are a waste and a pain.
Old 5/2/07, 05:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I lost my key also. No flat yet but I'm waiting lol. Pounding a socket on is the most popular way to get them off. I think on my rims vice grips would do the trick. If you need to you can weld a bolt to the lug nut then use a socket to get it off. Of course taking care and covering the rest of the rim so it doesn't get damaged.
Old 5/2/07, 09:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Thanks guys for the suggestions!

The local Goodyear "didn't want the responsibility" of possibly damaging the Fanblades during their removal attempt and told me they couldn't do it.

What is this Gator Grip thingee and where do I get one? That sounds like it may be my best bet. I don't have a welder or I would try the bolt procedure.

So wheel locks are a waste of time?
Old 5/2/07, 10:33 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Gator grip is a socket with a bunch of spring-loaded pins inside, as you push it on hopefully several of the pins will fit into the pattern on your lock and allow you to twist it off. Not sure where to get it now, there were info-mercials for these years ago. Pep-Boys or whatever autoparts chain you have might have them, or maybe Lowes or Home Depot?

Here's a link from a quick google search.

http://www.seenontv.com/prod-pages/gatorgrip.html
Old 5/2/07, 11:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrkabc
Thanks guys for the suggestions!

The local Goodyear "didn't want the responsibility" of possibly damaging the Fanblades during their removal attempt and told me they couldn't do it.

What is this Gator Grip thingee and where do I get one? That sounds like it may be my best bet. I don't have a welder or I would try the bolt procedure.

So wheel locks are a waste of time?
Sears sells them:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Personally I'd never say that wheel locks are a waste of time. They're simply a pain in the !@#^ sometimes. Personally I'd rather have them on the car than risk coming out to the car and finding it wheel-less and on blocks. To each their own I suppose...

Quick Reply: Oem Ford Lost My Wheel Lock Key / Mcgard Genuine Ford Accessories