2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

OD Light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/08, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OD Light flashing

Yesterday while taking a short drive, my OD light starting flashing. I tried turning the overdrive on the automatic trans on and off but it did nothing but actually turn the OD off and on. I just finished doing a CAI and a Bama tune running 87 octane. The gas tank was down to one eighth tank as I wanted to run it down and fill with 93 octane and try that tune. However, after filling the tank and restarting the car, the light has stopped and has NOT started doing it again. I'm not sure if it was a glitch that happened once or should I put back the standard air intake and flashing the stock tune to go back to the dealer for warrenty. Its a 2006 so its still under warrenty. Any suggestions?
Old 7/25/08, 10:04 AM
V6 Member

If it only happened once, it sounds like it was a glitch and if it happened with the tune loaded, I highly doubt the dealer would do anything about it especially if they can't replicate the problem, which would require the tune being installed, thus 'voiding your warranty' (a perfect catch-22); but it wouldn't hurt to ask them. If it does it again with the tune installed I'd try contacting Bama and seeing if they have had similar experiences.

I don't have a tune installed on my car (yet), but a similar thing happened to me, except all of my lights started flashing, my windows, locks, etc. wouldn't work either, I was getting weird error codes (it said my car was in 'theft' mode or something), and my engine sounded like it was in 'limp-home-mode' or something. Anyway, I took it to the dealer the next day and they told me with problems like that, they won't even look at it unless its still doing it; I don't know what caused the problem, but it hasn't happened since; just a one-time thing I guess.

good luck
Old 7/25/08, 10:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Not quite. It depends if your glitch was enough to record a fault code.

Last month my car suddenly decided it did not want to run below 2000 rpm. I nursed it to a nearby parking lot by shifting it into neutral and keeping the engine speed up. By the time I got it parked, the problem quit. I got home and checked for codes with my Xcalibrator. Nothing. I wrote it off to a load of bad gas.

2 weeks later on a Saturday it did it again. This time the "wrench" (check engine) light came on. I limped it the same way to the nearest Ford dealer. Naturally as soon as I got onto the Service ramp, the problem quit again. But this time it had recorded the fault. My throttle position sensor had gone bad.

Your tune loader should be able to read diagnostic codes too, so check it out.
Old 8/27/08, 06:11 AM

UPDATE

Well, I had to take my stang back to the dealer as I have a problem with the convertible top pinching and causing a hole, but that's another story. Since it was going back to the dealer anyway, I returned it to stock. The dealer needed more than just a new top for me, but that's another story. He did check out the tranny and found nothing wrong and now I have it in writing. He did say that he re-flashed the computer. I checked to see if they changed the statagy and they didn't but since it has to go back to the dealer again, I'm leaving it stock until then. Boy you can really feel the difference when you go back!
Old 8/27/08, 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

when i read that the "dealer reflashed the computer", i took a deep breath! every time i go to the dealer now, i always put a MASSIVE sign on the center console saying DO NOT REFLASH THE ECU. THIS CARS STRAT. CODE IS ...... AND NEEDS TO STAY THAT WAY. good thing they didnt change the code otherwise ud really be screwed.