2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

A NY State Troopers perspective....

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/05, 01:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While playing racquetball this morning with a Trooper buddy, I asked him how Troopers view people with tinted windows (illegal in NY) and cars with no front plates. He said most Troopers will look the other way when they see tint, as long as it's not limo tint. He went on to say that if you get pulled over for speeding and you're not being a jerk, they may just write you for the tint and let the speeding go. No front license plate is NOT overlooked and you stand a real good chance of being ticketed. Their logic is that some of them have nice cars too, and they'd love to not drill into the front bumper, but they have no choice. If they have to do it, so do we.
Old 2/23/05, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

So if you get a ticket for tint, then what do you do? Does it cost a lot to have it removed? And do you just remove it until you get it inspected, then reapply it? I'm definitely getting tint, so this might be an issue for me.
Old 2/23/05, 02:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I've never had tint, so I don't know. I may find out though because it's definitely going on the Stang.
Old 2/23/05, 02:11 PM
V6 Member

In Florida it's about $65 for a tint ticket. I think you can get it reduced if you prove it was removed. From what I understand, most cops don't pay much attention to the tint unless they pull you over for something else and you are being a jerk. Just be careful and don't tint 'em too dark.

Seems worth the risk to me. Looking around, it seems about 30% to 40% of the tint jobs I see around here are illegal. Doesn't seem like they are cracking down much.
Old 2/23/05, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

SHEA,
He was referring to the tint laws in New York. Michigan has different tint laws.

In MI you can go Limo tint on the rear window and back seat windows. Driver and Passenger windows can only be tinted from the top of the window to about 6 inches down. You can however get the full window tinted with a doctor note describing an eye condition (this is a stretch).

Most cops won't pull you over for window tint in Michigan unless you are a funked out Ricermobile with loud music.

(Or a 2005 GT Mustang running 100 mph in a 45 zone.......)

=)
Old 2/23/05, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, different states have different laws. Here in GA, they just had to repeal the tinting law because it "unfairly targeted out-of-towners" :scratch:

Also here in GA, we are only required to have a back licensed tag on our vehicles, unless your a semi, then you are required to have one on the front of the truck and on the rear of any trailer that you carry.
Old 2/23/05, 02:40 PM
Cobra Member

I live in the Kansas City metro area (obviously from the name), and Kansas has no front plate law while Missouri does. Do you all think it is crazy that I chose to live in Kansas when I moved here based a lot on that fact?
Old 2/23/05, 02:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tim, you're crazy.
Michael
Old 2/23/05, 02:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by manystangs@February 23, 2005, 3:46 PM
Tim, you're crazy.
Michael
Ha Ha....yeah I know. Saw where you lived going down Metcalf yesterday evening when I got home from the bar. I could tell by the 1000 mustangs in the parking lot. Oh yeah, and that one sweet-a** windveil blue 2005 GT.
Old 2/23/05, 02:53 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by outdoorstom@February 23, 2005, 4:02 PM
While playing racquetball this morning with a Trooper buddy, I asked him how Troopers view people with tinted windows (illegal in NY) and cars with no front plates. He said most Troopers will look the other way when they see tint, as long as it's not limo tint. He went on to say that if you get pulled over for speeding and you're not being a jerk, they may just write you for the tint and let the speeding go. No front license plate is NOT overlooked and you stand a real good chance of being ticketed. Their logic is that some of them have nice cars too, and they'd love to not drill into the front bumper, but they have no choice. If they have to do it, so do we.
Where do you live in NY? My dad had no plate and got stopped 3 times in a week by the same cop and told him he ordered bracket but it didnt come in yet and the cop said 250$$ fine next time he sees it with no plate, it also had full off road h pipe and headers and all. I lived in Queensbury for awhile by Lake George and now live i Boonville.
Old 2/23/05, 02:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@February 23, 2005, 3:43 PM
I live in the Kansas City metro area (obviously from the name), and Kansas has no front plate law while Missouri does. Do you all think it is crazy that I chose to live in Kansas when I moved here based a lot on that fact?

How much commute time did it add? I think that has to be considered before we can certify you.
Old 2/23/05, 02:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by outdoorstom+February 23, 2005, 3:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(outdoorstom @ February 23, 2005, 3:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-KansasCityTim@February 23, 2005, 3:43 PM

How much commute time did it add? I think that has to be considered before we can certify you.
[/b][/quote]

My commute in the morning is 15 minutes.
Old 2/23/05, 03:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim+February 23, 2005, 3:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KansasCityTim @ February 23, 2005, 3:51 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-manystangs@February 23, 2005, 3:46 PM
Tim, you're crazy.
Michael
Ha Ha....yeah I know. Saw where you lived going down Metcalf yesterday evening when I got home from the bar. I could tell by the 1000 mustangs in the parking lot. Oh yeah, and that one sweet-a** windveil blue 2005 GT.
[/b][/quote]

Michael
Old 2/23/05, 03:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim+February 23, 2005, 4:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KansasCityTim @ February 23, 2005, 4:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by outdoorstom@February 23, 2005, 3:57 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-KansasCityTim
@February 23, 2005, 3:43 PM

My commute in the morning is 15 minutes.
[/b][/quote]

15 minutes is great. You're not as crazy as everybody says!
Old 2/23/05, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by slavehand@February 23, 2005, 2:32 PM

Also here in GA, we are only required to have a back licensed tag on our vehicles, unless your a semi, then you are required to have one on the front of the truck and on the rear of any trailer that you carry.
It almost seems worth it to me to move back to Athens, GA just so I won't have to drill a plate onto the front of my new car. I've had plates for three weeks, but I don't have the nerve to drill on a front plate. *sigh* Plus I could probably do without the cat. converter too....hmmmmmm.
Old 2/23/05, 05:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Where do you live in NY? My dad had no plate and got stopped 3 times in a week by the same cop and told him he ordered bracket but it didnt come in yet and the cop said 250$$ fine next time he sees it with no plate, it also had full off road h pipe and headers and all. I lived in Queensbury for awhile by Lake George and now live i Boonville.
[/quote]

I live outside of Massena. Been through Boonville many times!
Old 2/23/05, 05:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was pulled over two weeks ago by a local cop in Cherry Hill, NJ. He pulled me over for no front plate and then questioned if I had window tint. I have 35%
all around. After some discussion about the car(he really liked it) he let me go but
said If I don't put the front plate on I can expect to get pulled over again by other cops. He said the tint would be overlooked by most cops.
Old 2/23/05, 05:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm glad that Washington State stopped requiring the front license plate. Phew!
Old 2/23/05, 05:50 PM
V6 Member

This is probably a stupid question....but what is the purpose of the front tag?
Old 2/23/05, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here in Indiana we have never had a front plate either. Having only one plate on the back of the vehicle saved the taxpayers Millions of dollars in increased taxes to pay for the cost of two plates. Our elected officials have decided it wasn't needed I guess.

Quick Reply: A NY State Troopers perspective....