2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Nothing I can do to make a 05 V6 look like GT?

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/04, 05:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, here was my plan. I wanted to buy a V6 torch red, then since I was special ordering it through the factory I figured that I could order the 17" bright machined cast wheels, foglights in the grille, a spoiler without the sport tape stripe, and possibly the dual exhaust. So basically it would be a GT, minus the engine and the high insurance. You see on FleetFord.com, this is all possible to order on a 05 V6 and I've heard through my grandfather(retired ford alternative energy department detroit) that you can special order cars with pretty much anything that is available on other models. After reading the official order guide and hearing what people are saying on this website it all the sudden feels impossible to achieve. I thought for sure you could have all the extra GT stuff on a V6 if its factory direct. For example, you can get a current style mustang with mach 1 wheels or any type for that matter, different body kits and spoilers. It seems to me that getting the fog lights and the 17" wheels and a spoiler would not be hard to add on to the 05 at order. The dual exhaust I doubt is possible just because so much stuff needs to change. Do you think that the add ons would be available later? Has anyone heard anything or have any thoughts on my situation. I cant get the picture of the Torch Red GT on this website out of my head. I know I can't afford GT insurance, but I could at least make it look the same, maybe.
Old 8/2/04, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would look into a new insurance company. Mine doesn't charge me anymore because it's a gt. And No I don't think you can order a v6 to look like a gt unless you buy the extra parts and have them painted and put on.

When you order a car you pretty much have to take the options they give you.
Old 8/2/04, 05:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Did I mention that I am only 19?
Old 8/2/04, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

I guess it depends on the insurance company. But mine has never charged me more just because of that. Whether it's a 4 banger v6 or v8. It's all the same (for me anyways). My advice would be to check around for insurace rates ask them how they charge.
Old 8/2/04, 07:29 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You could probably do that...but you'd be paying for all the updated parts and have it done through the dealership.

The V6/GT have some pretty large differences this time around.

To make it GT looking:
-front bumper
-fogs
-light switch replacement (with fog light 'pull on' feature)
-rear bumper
-dual exhaust takeoff or kit
-wheels
+paint install of front/rear bumpers
Old 8/2/04, 07:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the V6 looks classy

Old 8/2/04, 07:35 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Agreed...same here
They are both spankin great looking cars...
V6 is a sleek looking eye catcher...
GT is a sleek looking 'get the @#^* outta my way' eye catcher

Being called '4 eyes' never looked so good **regarding the fogs/running lights**
Old 8/2/04, 07:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@August 2, 2004, 7:36 PM
I think it's beautiful! That exact picture is what made me skip getting an Accord coupe to wait for the 2005 in black with a V6.
Old 8/2/04, 07:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by will+August 2, 2004, 8:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (will @ August 2, 2004, 8:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kevinb120@August 2, 2004, 7:36 PM
I think it's beautiful! That exact picture is what made me skip getting an Accord coupe to wait for the 2005 in black with a V6. [/b][/quote]
good man :usa:
Old 8/3/04, 11:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Original 17" rims will probably be on Ebay as soon as the fist deliveries have taken place and people start upgrading to 18 and 19 aftermarket. And I guess you'll probably be able to find a GT owner that wants to swap that ugly GT grill for your cool V6 one without those lights. I know I would if I lived in the US
Old 8/3/04, 11:13 AM
Banned

The 4 eyes :geek: , dual exhaust, and upgraded 17" rims, are what made me decide to go with the GT and not the V6. I love those fog lights. JMO

Moderated Post

Last edited by shaneyusa; 10/1/23 at 03:43 PM.
Old 8/3/04, 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JZInternet@August 2, 2004, 5:46 PM
I guess it depends on the insurance company. But mine has never charged me more just because of that. Whether it's a 4 banger v6 or v8. It's all the same (for me anyways). My advice would be to check around for insurace rates ask them how they charge.
Who do you insure with? I have never heard any insurance company operating the way you describe. The simple cost difference btwn a V6 and a GT should make the rates go up. Let alone the extra 100 horse. Every insurance company i have ever heard of operates on basis of cost, risk, and previous history. Risk is often determined by speed, power, history, number of doors, etc. Seriously, who do you insure with cuz I need to switch.
Old 8/3/04, 02:01 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by TennesseeMustangManiac@August 2, 2004, 5:25 PM
Okay, here was my plan. I wanted to buy a V6 torch red, then since I was special ordering it through the factory I figured that I could order the 17" bright machined cast wheels, foglights in the grille, a spoiler without the sport tape stripe, and possibly the dual exhaust. So basically it would be a GT, minus the engine and the high insurance. You see on FleetFord.com, this is all possible to order on a 05 V6 and I've heard through my grandfather(retired ford alternative energy department detroit) that you can special order cars with pretty much anything that is available on other models. After reading the official order guide and hearing what people are saying on this website it all the sudden feels impossible to achieve. I thought for sure you could have all the extra GT stuff on a V6 if its factory direct. For example, you can get a current style mustang with mach 1 wheels or any type for that matter, different body kits and spoilers. It seems to me that getting the fog lights and the 17" wheels and a spoiler would not be hard to add on to the 05 at order. The dual exhaust I doubt is possible just because so much stuff needs to change. Do you think that the add ons would be available later? Has anyone heard anything or have any thoughts on my situation. I cant get the picture of the Torch Red GT on this website out of my head. I know I can't afford GT insurance, but I could at least make it look the same, maybe.
Ford has always offered different equiptment for diferent trim levels. There way of looking at is if you want a car to look like a GT then buy a GT. Also from a factory standpoint they don't want the V6 Model to look like the GT model they want them to look different. That being said I can understand why you or anybody body else whould want the additional equipment as options but Ford in all my years dealing with the company has never offered many options like that for there base model cars. A lot of the things you are wanted from the factory will proably be avaible in the aftermarket world.
Old 8/3/04, 02:34 PM
Cobra Member

I am 20, and deal with State Farm insurance. My dad's been with them since he was my age, and I get a decent rate. My Mark VIII with a 300 hp Cobra engine is $60/month more than the V6 Ranger with 160 hp (factory number). Not a big gap at all, all things considering. By the time you add everything on to the V6, you'll end up spending about as much as you would on the GT, and wouldn't have the wicked engine.
Old 8/3/04, 02:38 PM
V6 Member

I know the reason I won't be getting a GT is due to my parent's income. They have to carry the absolute highest premiums Farm Bureau offers in the case of a law suit against them. Therefore, the premiums for me on a GT at age 18 would be 2000 more dollars a year. That's just the way it is though. But, I look at the bright side. If I had gotten a GT, it would've been quite basic. I might have been able to get IUP and that's about it. However, with my V6, I get side airbags, color accent (all hail the red leather), IUP, ABS and upgraded wheels. To tell you the truth, I think I'll be more happy with the V6 due to the awesome interior. But then again, I've always been more of a fan of nice interiors rather than awesome exteriors. I'm glad Ford gave the Mustang such a cool interior. Anyway. I can't wait to cruise the roads shifting from 3rd to 4th and punching the gas... even if it is "just" a V6.
Old 8/3/04, 02:55 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@August 2, 2004, 6:36 PM
I totally agree.

However, I wish they would offer those Bullit rims as an option on the V6 :scratch:
Old 8/3/04, 09:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Boomer@August 3, 2004, 1:32 AM
You could probably do that...but you'd be paying for all the updated parts and have it done through the dealership.

The V6/GT have some pretty large differences this time around.

To make it GT looking:
-front bumper
-fogs
-light switch replacement (with fog light 'pull on' feature)
-rear bumper
-dual exhaust takeoff or kit
-wheels
+paint install of front/rear bumpers
Don't Forget the Rocker Moldings, the Grill, and probably the Header Panel Behind the Grill to mount those Fog Lights!

It would be a real pain to go through modding an 05 6 Banger to look like a GT, and that's what you'd have to do. FORD might have done something like this in the 60's but today everything is so automated it's hard to change things on the assembly line.

The V6 is a Very Clean, Sweet Looking Car, and not to mention No Slouch really, considering 210 horsepower. HeII my 4.6Liter, V8, 97 Thunderbird only has 215 Horsepower and weighs alot more than an 05, and it Moves! Not to mention Tires for the V6's 16" wheels are Alot Cheaper than the 17" Tires.
Old 8/3/04, 10:34 PM
V6 Member

I can vouch for that TBird. Mine's a quick car for its size, weight and hp. Don't think the V6 will be slow... it won't. Will it be a GT? Nah... but for someone my age, the V6 will be just fine. Besides, my incentive to do well in my 6 years of college is a salary large enough to buy a Cobra. : )
Old 8/4/04, 04:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Get the base '05 and live with it for awhile. Your friends are gonna think you're Steve McQueen. (Oops, forgot your age. Your friends don't know who Steve McQueen was.) Anyway, you're going to burst with pride when you pick up the crew to hit the beach, or whatever.

After awhile - maybe six months - then decide what you want to do with it. By then we'll have all sorts of pics here of our wheels, mods, etc. You can come up with changes you really want then.

And don't street race or you'll find out what insurance problems are really about!