I still think its a 'fish bowly' story.
Old 11/17/04, 08:53 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey, Delta459...
Shut up!
Old 11/17/04, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure but it looks like you maight have left your dome light on....
Old 11/17/04, 10:48 PM
GT Member

MIKE:
I empathize with the fact that you have had problems with your stang, and I do not doubt your car issues for a second (Iwas just waiting to start hearing about the problems with S-197). When I bought my 01GT with 4 miles on it, it was in the shop two days later and remained in-and-out for a month due to mechanical problems. I was so pissed off and disappointed. I don't even want to say how many times i called the ford customer service clowns who did nothing except appologize. Let's face it: FORD does not build QUALITY, i.e., problem-free cars. PERIOD. Is the Mustang a good sports car for the price, Yes I have had several problems with most of my mustangs except my 92 LX 5.0 5 speed. I still love that stang. With these cars it is about luck, some get lucky and get a good one, others don't fare well and get a not-so-good one like i did (and it sounds like you did). At 35,000 miles I had my head gaskets replaced. And now at 84,000 miles my Quality mustang's engine is leaking: There is engine oil leaking off of the tranny, and of course my transmission leaks (what's new). My Quality engine "knocks" loudly under 2,000 RPMs. ANd i have had my transmission worked on periodically for leaking. And I do not abuse my car!! So, I hear you. QUESTION: if you don't drive your car all winter will the engine "freeze up" Don't you have to start it up so often :scratch: Lastly, do i still love mustangs, even though they are not the best made cars: Yes. Will I buy S-197: Yes. However, I am going to wait a few years until Ford works out some of the impending problems or Quality control issues on their all-new worry free stanger. thanks
Old 11/17/04, 10:57 PM
FR500 Member

I have an 05 GT and have no chatter from the transmissin and no whine from the differential. I personally would visit the dealer quick.

Good luck and I hope your problems are addressed properly.
Old 11/17/04, 11:17 PM
GT Member

Retro Gt,
I agree with Wild Stang...My 05 GT makes no noise what so ever in the rear end or tranny...I've put over 300 miles on it in less then a week!!! And She's perfect!!! Get your's to the dealer and have them make it right!!!
Old 11/18/04, 12:00 AM
GT Member

In my other life I would also keep the use down on some of my cars. I remember a 74 Vette I had for 8 years - when I sold it it had under 15,000 miles on it. When I did drive it - it always seemed like a new car to me.

That was back in the days I had a pretty good round trip to my office. For the last 16 years I have worked from a home office - no job related miles at all on things these days. My current 4 wheeler is old but I have only put 8,000 on it in the six years I have owned it. I mostly use my bike in the summer and stay home in the winter lol.

I would not do the bubble deal myself but there is a lot to be said for keeping "junk" miles off a nice car.
Old 11/18/04, 05:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Retro GT@November 17, 2004, 7:32 PM
For those of you that thought my problems with my 05 GT were a 'little fishy', here is a link to a picture of my car sitting in its car capsule.

Yes, I will drive this car on special occasions, but for now it's stored away for the Winter (Wisconsin Winters stink!) The car will be given to my Son when he turns 16 and he too will only drive it on special occasions. Like I said, we plan on keeping the car in the family forever, or until I die and whoever has it cuts it up into a racecar.

And please, don't try to tell me about the mechanics of this car or any car for that matter. I have worked on everything from exotics to econo-boxes. I know the difference between a normal and abnormal noise. If the trans chatter and diff whine are normal inherint noises... Ford should be ashamed. I expect the noises from my 69, not from a new 05.

For all the people who chose to take pot-shots at me, I am new to this forum and was just looking to see if anyone else had these symptoms with their 05s'.

Don't be so judgemental !!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fixinchryslers/my_photos
Those of us that thought you were fishy had good reason to think so. The internet is full of trolls (in this case usually camaro guys) coming to the boards and bashing whatever the theme of the board is (in this case Ford and Mustang). You had just joined the board and your first post was anti-Ford.

You got the picture and proved us wrong (assuming it is your picture of your car. I believe you, just have to leave that possibility open).

I, too would love to put a car in a time capsule and have it be near perfect, unrestored in 15-20 years.

If you are a mechanic, then you should understand that cars occasionally have defects. All of the manufacturers have them. I, and many others on this board, have had several mustangs that have been rock solid reliable. For you to generalize and say all Fords are junk based on your one car is as naive as us saying all Fords are bulletproof reliable based on ours.

If it bothers you, fix it or get it fixed. If you are that good of a mechanic, then you should already know (or at least have a good idea) what is wrong with it.

The bottom line is, you came in new to the board ******* on the very car that all of these people are passionate about. So, forgive us for doubting you, but, understand why we balked. Some (most) of us have been reading/writing on this board every day since Ford announced the redesign. We love the Mustang, it won't be easy for us to accept disrespect for it.

Oh yeah, welcome to the board. Stick around and these issues will be discussed and hopefully resolved as others experience them and get them fixed. Just might want to be a little gentler next time.
Old 11/18/04, 06:56 AM

It still makes no sense, how the heck is Ford going to diagnose a problem when you dont take it to the Dealer??????
Old 11/18/04, 07:04 AM
FR500 Member

I am a little weary of having my new car that was 'quality controlled' for 25 miles already, worked on by Ford. I am an ASE Master Certified auto technician by trade, so I know quite a bit about the skill level of todays auto technicians. A truly competent technician is very rare these days. I don't mean to rip on anyone, I'm just stating the facts. Unless I come upon the rare mechanic who is as meticulous as I am, this car will never be the same. The transmission will need to come out, and at minimum, the differential will need a new ring and pinion (and set up properly).
Now can you honestly look at the post above and wonder why we called ?

You're not the only one to notice driveline noise, the only recourse you have is to take it back to the dealer, or decide to do it yourself. Karpro said it best, if the problem is that pronounced, you should have picked it up on your test drive before you took delivery. Then the onus is on the dealer to either fix it to gain the sale, or order another one with an expodited delivery to remedy the problem.

Enough of that stuff....

Good on you for wanting to keep the car for your son. My dad did the same thing, he didn't bubble it, but when I took it over it had 32k original miles at 16 years of age.

I have a feeling you have the same emotional attachment I do. My Dad and I had been talking in more recent years about finding an old Mustang Fastback to fix up. Unfortuneately that never happened, and he passed away a couple of years ago. I'm really sorry he never got to see the new stang, my Mom and I are convinced he would have bought one, even though he had soured on Mustangs since the early 80's (we had an 80' for awhile.... )

Welcome
Old 11/18/04, 07:04 AM
Bullitt Member

If you bought the car just to seal it in a capsule, why not wait until fall '05 before you made your purchase, when the '06 MY's are coming out? You could have saved a few thousand bucks.

Also, why do you have the car covered in the bubble? Remove the cover and show off that Mustang!

One member had a good point... isn't it recommended to start the car every so often even when it's in storage?
Old 11/18/04, 08:53 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Retro GT@November 17, 2004, 6:32 PM
For those of you that thought my problems with my 05 GT were a 'little fishy', here is a link to a picture of my car sitting in its car capsule.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fixinchryslers/my_photos
I'm just curious how long it takes to get the 'stang out of it's bubble, and how long it takes to put it back in? That looks like a very time-consuming process.

In any case, good luck with the '05. Your son will be very very happy when he gets it.

joe
Old 11/18/04, 09:20 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OMG! I have never seen a car in a bubble before Don't worry retro, I am not judgemental....just mental. How much did that bubble cost?
Old 11/18/04, 09:37 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by thegoalie@November 18, 2004, 8:07 AM
If you bought the car just to seal it in a capsule, why not wait until fall '05 before you made your purchase, when the '06 MY's are coming out? You could have saved a few thousand bucks.

OK, I feel the need to tell my story. It's long so bear with me.

My mother a I were always very close. Her wish for years was to have grandchildren. When my first child was born (my son Michael Jr. - now 14) grandma was in heaven. Since he was born, my mom and my son have always had a special bond.

Grandma had always wanted to get a blue Mustang, but for one reason or other, my Dad kept buying her station wagons and then mini-vans. Since he was a little boy, Grandma would tell my son that when he turns 16, she was going to buy him a blue Mustang to drive her around in. She told my Dad, her friends, relatives, she told everyone this. It got a little old after a while, but that was my Mom. In the past couple of years, Mom on many occasions, made me promise that if something ever happenned to her, I would take whatever money she had and buy that car for Michael Jr. because she had promised him that car. Her Mom and Dad both died relatively young, and she wanted to make sure that her wishes would happen even if she wasn't around anymore.

After Moms health deteriorated for about six months, and after seeing several doctors with numerous diagnosis, we took her to the hospital (just happenned to be Mothers day). She went into respiratory distress 4 days later and had to be put on a respirator. After many tests, she was diagnosed with ALS or Lou Gehrigs disease. This disease affects the nervous system and while the body goes to heck, the mind stays 100%. Mom had the most severe form of ALS which is Bulbar, which restricts and eventually takes away the ability to swallow and breath. Mom was given her options and decided to have a permanent trach put in her neck and a G-tube (feeding) tube placed in her stomach. There is no cure for ALS, and they didn't think she would make it too long. We then moved her to a rehabilitation center that specialized in people on ventilators.

Mom had a great will to live. Although now unable to talk, she was still able to mouth words and write on a board, although this was becomming more difficult. Even in her condition, she would remind me almost daily to make sure and get that Mustang for Michael Jr.

So I decided to get the car NOW so that Grandma would be able to see it and be able to hand over the keys to my son while she was still with us. I contacted a dealer, made the deal, and took over an option/color brochure to the nursing home and let my Mom pick out the colors and options she wanted. I then took her requests back to the dealer, and they ordered the car. Mom would ask often when I saw her, if I knew when the car would arrive.

Mom deteriorated very badly, and passed away to Gods loving arms on November 1st. The car arrived on November 3rd... she never got to see the car or present it to my Son. The disease depleted Moms money as the drugs they used and the specialized rehabilitation center she was at were very expensive. So I bought the car myself and presented it to my Son the morning of the funeral as Grandmas present to him. We used the car for the funeral, and my Son and I were the first car in the procession right behind Mom. Nobody needed to ask about the car, they all knew what it was and why it was there. We drove it the day after and then put it away.

I hope now you can understand things better. I never took the car for a test drive before buying it, and it wouldn't have really matterred. I would have bought the car if it had fallen off the truck. My frustrations were that all of the 'quality control checks' delayed delivery of the car, and my Mom wasn't able to see the car. Then I find that with even all the xtra checks, the car still has major issues. I'm really not mad at Ford, just the circumstances.

So to say this car has special meaning is an understatement. I absolutely cannot afford this car at this time, but this is something my Mom wanted for my Son. He will cherrish this car forever because of who it came from.

This is why I purchased the car now. He's got a nicer car than any other 14 year old I'm aware of. So it can sit for the most part until he turns 16. He goes into the garage daily to see the car, which gives him great comfort and brings back fond memories. He's a great young man, and why shouldn't he be, he had a great Grandmother.

Thanks for letting me tell my story.
Old 11/18/04, 09:44 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike, I am sorry to hear about your loss. That is a very touching story. I can see why you did what you did and if I was in your shoes I would have done the same thing.
Old 11/18/04, 09:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great story. well done on your decisions, etc. I hope that you get it worked out so that you and your son will have that car forever.
Old 11/18/04, 09:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Thanks for a nice story. When I first saw the post, I was thinking to myself "cars are meant to be driven, why is this guy hibernating his stang?". Take your son out for lots of rides, this car is awesome.
Old 11/18/04, 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by max2000jp@November 18, 2004, 10:57 AM
Thanks for a nice story. When I first saw the post, I was thinking to myself "cars are meant to be drive, why is this guy hibernating his stang?". Take your son out for lots of rides, this car is awesome.
Second that, thanks for sharing.

When your son turns 16, I hope he's out there driving it around as much as he can. It's built for it, and somehow I think that's why your mother wanted him to have one.
Old 11/18/04, 10:58 AM
Queen Of Nascar

That story just broke my heart. Your mom had to be a very very special person and your son is one lucky young man. Grandma's wishes live on in that car and I admire you for taking such good care of it.

Good Luck to you in getting to the bottom of your problems with the car. I got no doubt you can fix it yourself if you can just get to the root of the problems.
Old 11/18/04, 11:28 AM
Cobra Member

Wow...what a story. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Not a 'fishy' story like some have suggested