2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northwest Ford Maryville MO wants $5k + Sticker

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/04, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just talked to a salesman at Northwest Ford in Maryville Missouri, and the owner said they have already sold a GT for $5,000 over sticker. I was looking at the Windveil Blue GT Premium on the lot, sticker price 29,520, and they refused my X-plan and the Dealership owner, Mark Greg wants sticker + $5,000. This is insane and I just wanted to let anyone in my area know this info.
Old 11/16/04, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

All dealerships are charging an arm and a leg for the one or two Mustangs they have on the lot.

Northpoint Ford in Alpharetta, GA wants 6K over MSRP for their GT. But they're willing to sell me one at X-Plan if I order it.
Old 11/16/04, 11:38 AM
GT Member

markups are the sign of a greedy dealer. these cars sell themselves, they're flying off the lot, the dealers that treat people right and get return business are selling them at msrp or below. They'll make their money in the long run. I wouldn't give my business to a dealer who was selling them at markup, even if he made me a deal on a different one. It's the principal.
Old 11/16/04, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Those greedy dealers. How dare they try to make a profit.

This isn't the Soviet Union, guys. Every business tries to make as much money as they can. Since when are dealerships non-profit organizations? Some of you are way too shocked that the dealers are charging over MSRP to people willing to buy them.

If dealers were to sell every car at $200 over invoice, they wouldn't survive.
Old 11/16/04, 12:17 PM
GT Member

uhh, wrong. MSRP is *plenty* of money, per car, to turn a profit. I'm not saying dealers should sell at invoice. MSRP is typically, what, 2-3k over invoice? Not including any incentives or holdbacks. And you think bringing that to 8k, a profit margin of A THIRD, is good business?

Halo 2 just came out. Would you pay $10 over MSRP because it's popular? There will be plenty of copies of halo, and plenty of mustangs, charging markup on a mass market unlimited production car is bad business. We're enthusiasts, we will buy the car now, or buy it later, but what about ma and pa smith? How do you think they will react when they walk in to a Ford dealer to see what the buzz is all about and see a $5k premium tacked on? They won't wait patiently for 6 months, they won't drive 4 hours from Maryville to KC to comparison shop, they'll walk down the street and buy a honda/dodge/toyota/whatever. It not only gives the individual dealer a bad name, it gives the brand a bad name.

But you're right, since I'm against price gouging, I *must* be a pinko commie bastard.
Old 11/16/04, 12:21 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are trying to sell the only V6 that was alotted to them in my home town for $4,000 over sticker. I told them I only drove 10 minutes away to get the X-Plan on a GT.
Old 11/16/04, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Sqweak, I never said you were a pinko commie bastard.

Even the dealerships that are charging thousands over MSRP are willing to sell special ordered Mustangs are normal prices. The extra $5K or so is the "gotta have it now" cost. If someone's gotta have it now, they're going to pay an extra $5K. What's wrong with that?

Remember that dealerships are a business. If you had your home appraised for $200,000, but someone offered $250,000 for it, what would you do?

By your logic, it would be considered greedy to sell the home for $250,000, but I have a feeling you'd do it.
Old 11/16/04, 12:44 PM

I just got a call back from the salesman. He told me he talked to the owner, and the owner is willing to order a Mustang for me at the A plan price, but if I want the car on the lot it will be $5,000 over sticker.
Old 11/16/04, 01:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The goalie said

>>Remember that dealerships are a business. If you had your home appraised for $200,000, but someone offered $250,000 for it, what would you do?<<

This is not the same, folks are not going in and saying I will pay $5000 over they are being told that is the price.
Old 11/16/04, 01:29 PM

That's the beauty of a free market. You can say no thanks, I'll wait and pay less or I gotta have it now and pay more. Is this a great country, or what!!!!!!
Old 11/16/04, 01:31 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Don't need one that bad.

Already paining me, but I can wait. Won't kill me even if it feels like it.....
Old 11/16/04, 01:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have to say I agree with Sqweak. I'm like most of the people that visit this site and in love with the car. I can wait, and will, till the price gouging dies down and dealers are ready to make good deals, even on the ones ALREADY on the lot. Heck, those are usually the cars that you get a deal on since they could have been sitting around for a while (obviously not the case with the '05).

Like Sqweak said, what about the people that come in to a Ford dealer and notice this great new Mustang sitting in the show room. They go up to it and see that the price is $5000 over MSRP.

Do you think that helps Ford or the dealer? Maybe they would have bought the Mustang, but not now, and they're in the market for a car now, they're not waiting for one to be ordered.

Guess what, they're going down to a competitor to buy one of those cars.

That's my only point on why this process is bad for Ford, it creates a negative perception in people's minds. And guess what, those people tell other people, who tell even more people.

Now, I'm a big supporter of our supply/demand market here in the USA, and I do not blame the dealerships for trying to make as much money as possible. I do think Ford can step in and say that this practice should not be done.

I believe that is what Nissan did when they caught wind of Nissan dealers adding mark ups, and it can only help Ford's image to do the same.
Old 11/16/04, 01:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

sorry, that last part about Nissan dealers was about the 350Z when it first came out
Old 11/16/04, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The thing is dealers will make a good deal if you order.I am paying 500 over invoice.All you folks that say you will wait, what's the diff between ordering then wait for it to come and just waiting for the stangs to fill the lot.

If some one does not want to wait then they will pay for it .
If you are waiting for the rush to slow down why not order what you want and get a good deal at the same time.It will all work out about the same.
Old 11/16/04, 02:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Why does everyone assume that a markup hurts the reputation of the car company?

I'd argue the opposite. All things being equal, a car with a mark-up over MSRP appears much more attractive than a new MY car with an immediate 2K rebate.

The high mark-ups are good for Ford. There's already a lot of buzz about the new Mustangs and mark-ups help fuel the fire.

If the number of pre-orders are any indication, the mark-ups aren't hurting Ford one bit. In fact, I'd venture to say that it helps get orders in. When Mr. Customer walks into the showroom and sees the high markup for the showroom model, he'll probably be more inclined to place an order when the salesman offers a decent price. To him, it's $5K off!

Where are the salesmen when we need them. Hey BEK and kevinb!
Old 11/16/04, 02:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by thegoalie@November 16, 2004, 10:46 AM
Those greedy dealers. How dare they try to make a profit.

This isn't the Soviet Union, guys. Every business tries to make as much money as they can. Since when are dealerships non-profit organizations? Some of you are way too shocked that the dealers are charging over MSRP to people willing to buy them.

If dealers were to sell every car at $200 over invoice, they wouldn't survive.
I think you missed the message: ($5,000 over MSRP......) They weren't talking about invoice.... B)
Old 11/16/04, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Giddyup@November 16, 2004, 3:48 PM
I think you missed the message: ($5,000 over MSRP......) They weren't talking about invoice.... B)
I got the message, but I think many people are missing my message.

MSRP is for the car. The $5K over is for the "gotta have in now" adjustment. Most dealers would be happy to sell the car at a normal price, just not their showroom model. So the claims of price gouging are just silly.
Old 11/16/04, 03:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

thegoalie, I don't see the correlation between pre-orders and whether or not markups on cars on the lot are good in respect to the discussion here

My point is that there is a person that wants a car now (in the next 7 days). Now, they're willing to live with a car that is not the exact color and option package that they want, so they don't order one. They visit the ford dealer to look at the new 500, but see the Mustang and really like what they see. These people have not seen an '05 before, so 25,000 pre-orders mean nothing to them, and neither does how fast they've been selling. They are appalled at the fact that this dealer wants $5000 over MSRP for the car, and go buy something else. This is an obvious loss for Ford and the dealer, because those people were ready to buy if they didn't feel like they were being ripped off.

Now, I also agree that charging over MSRP can create a buzz, and that may motivate some people. Those are the type of people that have a little more expendable cash, and NOT the ones I'm talking about in the example above.

Bottom line, charging over MSRP can have different effects on different people. But I'd be more worried about losing sales as Ford and a dealer, than I would be about not getting the markup. Let's face it, if someone is willing to pay over MSRP, they're still going to pay MSRP. And I think this great new Mustang would have just as much BUZZ right now without markups.

We may have to agree to disagree B)
Old 11/16/04, 03:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Torker 2@November 16, 2004, 11:23 AM
Just talked to a salesman at Northwest Ford in Maryville Missouri, and the owner said they have already sold a GT for $5,000 over sticker. I was looking at the Windveil Blue GT Premium on the lot, sticker price 29,520, and they refused my X-plan and the Dealership owner, Mark Greg wants sticker + $5,000. This is insane and I just wanted to let anyone in my area know this info.
Kudos to you Torker! Walk Away dude! Shop around and don't be in a hurry.
Tell the salseman that this Dealership is now marked!
Just another :crazy: Dealership

Even :crazy: is the person that pays it!
Old 11/16/04, 03:42 PM
Banned

Hello, Airport Ford in Northern Kentucky sold me mine for MSRP they would not budge on price but i did not have to pay extra for my stang although a place called Robke Ford was asking 2K over sticker and they r in the same area
so call around maybe someone will do tthe honorable thing and sell you one outrite
also they do get evaluated by u when Ford sends out their survey about the Dealer so give them a bad report for it hurt their standings with Fords bluechip awards

Quick Reply: Northwest Ford Maryville MO wants $5k + Sticker