2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Noise coming from left real wheel every morning

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/22, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise coming from left real wheel every morning

I have a 05 V6 with 165k miles original owner, had tires rotated a while back, ever since then in the morning I back the car out of the garage and put it in drive the rear wheel has a slight light metallic sound to it for about 100 ft then stops for the rest of the day of off and on driving. Tool it to a shop and they said it was just rust dust on brake drum. doesn't sound right to me. anyone has an idea as to what would cause this. I also had the rear wheel bearings replaced about a year before this noise.
Thanks
Old 2/10/22, 06:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
My first guess would also be a little noise coming from the brake pad sliding on the rotor; this is usually louder if there is rust on the rotor but the caliper might just need a little driving to free it up. But that is just a SWAG . . .
The following users liked this post:
Meow Man (2/10/22)
Old 2/10/22, 06:15 AM

Brakes were looked at no problem there
Old 2/10/22, 08:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Meow Man
I have a 05 V6 with 165k miles original owner, had tires rotated a while back, ever since then in the morning I back the car out of the garage and put it in drive the rear wheel has a slight light metallic sound to it for about 100 ft then stops for the rest of the day of off and on driving. Tool it to a shop and they said it was just rust dust on brake drum. doesn't sound right to me. anyone has an idea as to what would cause this. I also had the rear wheel bearings replaced about a year before this noise.
Thanks
First, you're correct in that it doesn't sound right as there's no drum brakes on the 2005. So whatever shop you took it to? Maybe don't go there anymore.

Second, the issue could absolutely be rust on the rotor (not drum) and that would cause it. Could also be a slightly stuck caliper due to pins not being lubricated, or the piston is stuck-ish. Could be cheap pads that you need to put on better ones. I personally use Wagner Thermoquiets and I never have noise in both my cars. Could be your hardware is shot (the slider stuff under the pads on the brackets) and need those replaced. Could be anything, including what Bert says and I say and more.

You've already probably ruled out the wheel bearing, but new doesn't mean good, new means new. What you might try is this: Jack the car up on jackstands under the axle. Then 'back' out the car like you'd normally do, but have someone back there to watch/listen. Or vice versa, you under the car and someone 'backing'. Maybe it shows itself that way. Maybe not.

One thing to remember is that backing vs 'fronting' means the suspension will also torque up backwards to normal. There may be a suspension component involved, the lower control arms or the panhard bar or even the sway bar may have a shot bushing. Also, the axle has to move opposite 'normal', so that may or may not be involved as well.

...or just take it elsewhere instead of the shop that will explain it (incorrectly, seems) away...?

Hope that helps. Good luck, and welcome to the forums!
Old 2/10/22, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by houtex
First, you're correct in that it doesn't sound right as there's no drum brakes on the 2005. So whatever shop you took it to? Maybe don't go there anymore.

Second, the issue could absolutely be rust on the rotor (not drum) and that would cause it. Could also be a slightly stuck caliper due to pins not being lubricated, or the piston is stuck-ish. Could be cheap pads that you need to put on better ones. I personally use Wagner Thermoquiets and I never have noise in both my cars. Could be your hardware is shot (the slider stuff under the pads on the brackets) and need those replaced. Could be anything, including what Bert says and I say and more.

You've already probably ruled out the wheel bearing, but new doesn't mean good, new means new. What you might try is this: Jack the car up on jackstands under the axle. Then 'back' out the car like you'd normally do, but have someone back there to watch/listen. Or vice versa, you under the car and someone 'backing'. Maybe it shows itself that way. Maybe not.

One thing to remember is that backing vs 'fronting' means the suspension will also torque up backwards to normal. There may be a suspension component involved, the lower control arms or the panhard bar or even the sway bar may have a shot bushing. Also, the axle has to move opposite 'normal', so that may or may not be involved as well.

...or just take it elsewhere instead of the shop that will explain it (incorrectly, seems) away...?

Hope that helps. Good luck, and welcome to the forums!
thanks alot, this morning I did back it out only, jacked up the rear as you said chocked, put it in neutral rolled the wheel by hand and bearly heard anything just very very slight rub each rotation then it stopped after about 15 to 20. drove it no sound...
so a process of ilimnaton. Next tak take wheel Thanks
Old 2/10/22, 12:13 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Meow Man! Just to make certain were on the same page, did you intend to say brake rotor rather than brake drum which I'm assuming may had just been a typo error lol. But anyhow, I would definitely follow the advice provided above, nevertheless. Meanwhile, also welcome aboard.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 2/10/22 at 12:15 PM.
Old 2/10/22, 01:21 PM

Yes brake rotor... miss spoke ....wife was talking to me lolol
Old 2/10/22, 11:54 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying