2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

No X-Plan Verts this YEAR?

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/05, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all:

Long time reader - second time poster...

So I thought I'd start inquiring about the GT Convertible w/ ICAP which I'm planning to purchase by around April.

So I went to Yahoo! Autos and I found that yes, they were starting to accept price quote requests for the convertbile - so I went and dutifully filled in all my info and I got 4 emails right back. The company I work for has X-Plan so here is what I sent in response:

Hi Insert Salesperson Name Here:

I'm looking for a convertible specifically - also since I work at [company], I'm assuming that I can get it under our X-Plan. Can you tell me when you will be getting the convertibles in for a test drive?

His response:

No X-Plan this year for the Mustang GT Convertible.
Sorry,
Insert Salesperson Name Here

Is this BS? I'm assuming others can get their convertible under X-plan THIS year.

I do need it this year, as my ailing 1996 Altima can't take much more of this, captain.

Thanks...Chris
Old 2/18/05, 06:17 PM
Bullitt Member

BS i got xplan on mine
Old 2/18/05, 10:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yup, x-plan here in toronto
Old 2/19/05, 06:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Chris, My name is Jeff, and I work at a dealership in Lansdale, Pa. In regards to the X-Plan on Mustang Convertibles, it is up to the management of the dealership to let the car be sold with it. In the guidelines of X-Plan, it states that limited availability cars may not get it, and it is up to the dealer on this. I am not saying that this car is limited by any means, but GT Convertibles for the 2005 model year will not be sitting 6 deep on dealership lots, as the cars are just now getting scheduled, with delivery dates sometime in April or so & I am sure alot of places already have several orders in for GT verts in their order banks. Plus balance out of 2005 orders is on 8-5-2005, and with the JOB #1 date of 8-8-05 for the 2006 models, this doesn't give a whole lot of time to order alot of them, with allocation and all. Plus, this will be the car everyone wants for the summer. We have all heard that this car is bring alot more people to Ford stores, people who never would have comsidered a Ford in the past. I would just send emails to alot of dealers in your areas, and see if anyone sends a response to it. I'm sure you will find one to do it.

If you find a dealer to order one for you X-Plan, just make sure you get EVERRYTHING in wrtiting, signed by a manager, and request a copy of the DORA with the X-Plan price listed, once they get it back a few days later. You know that once this car comes out, its sad to say, the price gouging will start again. I drove to a local competitor of ours on a Sunday, to look and see if they had any GTs'. They had a Yellow GT, 5-speed, Shaker, 1000, Anti-theft, and the 17" Bright wheels. MSRP is $28,075. They have a $3,499 "Market Adjustment" on this one, and on the Silver GT in the showroom. I hate this :notnice: , as we never marked any of ours up, and never will. And just wait till the vert comes out. It will get worse, I hate to say it. I would email a few smaller dealers in your area. Those who are known to not mark cars up. That is where you may find a place. If you have any further questions, feel free to post them. I'll be happy to answer them. Good luck .
Old 2/19/05, 08:50 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by 05fordgt@February 19, 2005, 9:51 AM
Hi Chris, My name is Jeff, and I work at a dealership in Lansdale, Pa. In regards to the X-Plan on Mustang Convertibles, it is up to the management of the dealership to let the car be sold with it. In the guidelines of X-Plan, it states that limited availability cars may not get it, and it is up to the dealer on this. I am not saying that this car is limited by any means, but GT Convertibles for the 2005 model year will not be sitting 6 deep on dealership lots, as the cars are just now getting scheduled, with delivery dates sometime in April or so & I am sure alot of places already have several orders in for GT verts in their order banks. Plus balance out of 2005 orders is on 8-5-2005, and with the JOB #1 date of 8-8-05 for the 2006 models, this doesn't give a whole lot of time to order alot of them, with allocation and all. Plus, this will be the car everyone wants for the summer. We have all heard that this car is bring alot more people to Ford stores, people who never would have comsidered a Ford in the past. I would just send emails to alot of dealers in your areas, and see if anyone sends a response to it. I'm sure you will find one to do it.

If you find a dealer to order one for you X-Plan, just make sure you get EVERRYTHING in wrtiting, signed by a manager, and request a copy of the DORA with the X-Plan price listed, once they get it back a few days later. You know that once this car comes out, its sad to say, the price gouging will start again. I drove to a local competitor of ours on a Sunday, to look and see if they had any GTs'. They had a Yellow GT, 5-speed, Shaker, 1000, Anti-theft, and the 17" Bright wheels. MSRP is $28,075. They have a $3,499 "Market Adjustment" on this one, and on the Silver GT in the showroom. I hate this :notnice: , as we never marked any of ours up, and never will. And just wait till the vert comes out. It will get worse, I hate to say it. I would email a few smaller dealers in your area. Those who are known to not mark cars up. That is where you may find a place. If you have any further questions, feel free to post them. I'll be happy to answer them. Good luck .

Straight from X plan terms......

"Current excluded vehicles include Ford GT, F-450 through F-750 Super Duty, E-450, E-550, Escape Hybrid and Aston Martin vehicles."

So, the Mustang Convertible IS AVAILABLE FOR X PLAN PRICING. Dealers decide whether they will offer it to you. To me, X plan is an easy sale for the dealership. No negotiations...NO BS. They just show you the price and you make the deal. It should be easy. Now, some dealers will try to squeeze the customer for MSRP and additional dealer mark-up, but that's short sighted.

A few years down the road, when that same person you squeezed for MSRP and above comes looking to trade for a newer model, you think we're going to go back to the dealer who charged more....or, will that person go to a dealer who is more fair?

I know how I'd answer that question.

That's the difference between a dealer who wants to build a long term relationship with their customer base, and one that is looking only at the buck they can make today....on a sale of a hot commodity. I'd rather do business with the dealer who wants me as a customer, not only now, but well into the future. Moreover, what do you think I'll tell my friends and neighbors?

Do you think I'm going to send referral business to the dealer who flogged me on my purchase? Or, will I recommend the dealer who didn't hassle me and was fair in their dealings with me?

The answer is obvious.
Old 2/19/05, 11:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

graphicguy said it all. He's right on.

Also, some dealers won't do Xplan because as I understand it they don't make as much on the car as they would under another Ford plan, like A/D/Z. So if you have access to one of those go for it---you save more and the dealer gets more back from Ford. That latter reason is why they will do Aplan but not Xplan.

They won't settle for making less under Xplan on a car they can probably sell at MSRP. But trying to gouge over MSRP, on a full production car (and the convertible is not a limited production model---it is only limited by the time left in the model year from intro to shut down, but they still allowed for 6-7 months of production time), is ridiculous and as he said above, VERY short sighted.

Ask Karpro about dealer marketing philosophy, long term vision, and dealer profit centers (i.e. parts and service). His dealership knows how to sell cars, build customer loyalty, and increase the likelihood that they will be around long into the future.
Old 2/19/05, 12:54 PM
Bullitt Member

X-plan here
Old 2/19/05, 01:53 PM
GT Member

I may be wrong but I think X-plan is kind of in between A and Z plans.

I previously posted this exciting X-plan decline, but pasted it below in case you missed it...

Just a little off that subject, the bigger dealer called 2 weeks ago and said "we have your car." Not the exact one I ordered but just happened to get one just like it... they did (and right off the truck!)... Min Grey GT, auto, the works, seats and steering wheel still wrapped in plastic, styrofoam squares taped outside the doors, bubble-wrap slammed in the trunk! It was perfect! only missing side air-bags... I told the dealer I don't plan to get hit from the side anyway... so I'll take it!!!!

We drive it up to the sales office, babababa bad! and then the dumb-A sales manager says... "we can't do it on X-plan!" I was almost willing to cough up $2-3000 more but just could not bring myself to do it. So here I wait!
Old 2/19/05, 01:56 PM
GT Member

sales manager says... "we can't do it on X-plan!"

because they new they could sell it for WAY more than that!
Old 2/19/05, 02:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by McDGT@February 19, 2005, 2:59 PM
sales manager says... "we can't do it on X-plan!"

because they new they could sell it for WAY more than that!

Patience my friend.......... patience!
Old 2/19/05, 02:31 PM
Cobra Member

I ended up being screwed on my first O5 by a dealship that I had past bussiness with. The General Sales Manager decided not to sell it X-plan. And insisted on an after market alarm be installed. We stopped by another dealer and purchased with no problems at all.

I agree with whats said above. Especially the in writing part. I would just like to add that I think these Sales Managers do not care about futures sales from people like us in general because another fish will just come along and purchase a vehicle. That must be their thinking and I hope they choke on it. I know I will tell people not to purchase any vehicle or service from that dealership.
Old 2/21/05, 11:37 PM

Thanks all! Exactly what I neded to know - you guys rock!

Now I need to decide - Torch Red or Mineral Grey

Decisions! Decisions!
Old 2/21/05, 11:47 PM
Cobra Member

If you do order from a smaller dealer, make sure they haven't already ordered one for someone else, as their allocation may keep you from getting a car for quite a while.

A/Z plan is the same price...X-Plan = A/Z Plan + 4% + $150

And dealers make about the same profit whether it is A/Z or X-Plan
Old 2/22/05, 12:32 AM
FR500 Member

im using xplan but they didnt put my order in as X...it went in as 1
Old 2/22/05, 12:40 PM

Well, I contacted 5 dealers in total and they all told me either no x-plan this year - or no x-plan for 6-8 months! I guess I'll need to go further afield.

This is deeply annoying! Is it better to go further to a bigger dealer though if they are going to get more allocation?
Old 2/22/05, 05:13 PM
Cobra Member

It just depends on the dealer...but make sure they have plenty of allocation if it is a smaller dealer.
Old 3/1/05, 02:32 PM

Latest word from dealer number 3 in my area:

>>>

Thank you for your e-mail, indicating that you want to order a Mustang GT convertible, and that you have X plan privileges through your company.

Unfortunately, X plan privileges do not currently apply to the new 2005 Mustang Gt models, nor to the GT, and the Hybrid vehicles.

If you prefer to wait, let me know and I will contact you when the X plan can be utilized for a GT Mustang convertible.

<<<

More BS?
Old 3/1/05, 03:45 PM
Cobra Member

With CA's joe public buyers loving the imports, you would think the Ford guys would sell which ever way they could to increase sales. They must figure joe public will buy all their Mustangs at a markup price this year.

Checked with my dealer and they will still except the plans from local buyers only. Also, they have a vert on E-bay for the out of town buyer. A little greed.
Old 3/1/05, 03:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Straight from Fordpartner.com
Vehicles Available

Eligible Vehicles
New, current model and prior model year vehicles sold in the United States (including Econoline and light trucks through E & F-350 series, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo, and Mazda (S-Plan)) equipped with any regular production optional equipment, may be purchased or leased.

New prior model year vehicles may be purchased or leased from dealer stock only up to the date announced by Ford Motor Company (usually March 31 of the current year).

Ford Motor Company may, at its discretion, exclude certain models from the Partner Recognition Program.

Current excluded vehicles include F-450 through F-750 Super Duty, E-450, E-550, Escape Hybrid and Aston Martin vehicles. This list of excluded vehicles is subject to change.

Optional equipment installed by the dealership and after-market services provided by the dealership are not covered under the Partner Recognition Program. The dealership may charge any agreed-upon price for these items. Dealer-installed equipment or services, such as undercoating, must be individually listed and priced separately on the buyer's order and the New Vehicle Purchase Plan and Pricing Sheet. Volvo and Mazda retailers use similar supplements and pricing sheets. Jaguar and Land Rover do not use pricing sheets.

Each product purchased or leased under the Red Carpet Lease Option will be covered by the same warranty and policy as those offered to retail customers

Vehicles not available
- Used vehicles.
- Products sold under any other Ford Motor Company plan.
- Prior year models purchased or leased after the date announced by the Company (usually March 31 of the current year).
- Demonstrator vehicles with over 250 miles are not available.
Old 3/1/05, 04:04 PM

Thanks Ghost - I just emailed that paragraph to the dealer to see what he says...

Quick Reply: No X-Plan Verts this YEAR?