2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

No more $500 over invoice!

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/05, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered my 'stang back in October. Black GT, IUP, upgraded rims, alarm system etc etc. Back then, I was verbally told $500 over invoice. Yes, I know I didn't get anything in writing...my fault. But up until today...the price still stood at $500 over invoice.
Finally after the IUP ordeal, my car came in this morning. Bad news...they don't want to honor the $500 over anymore. Aparently the manager who okay'd the deal isn't there anymore and now the dealer owner says they can't sell a GT for that cheap. They're a small dealer and are having trouble getting the V6's off the lot....someone backed out on a previous Red on Red GT and that won't sell either. Not my fault!!
So...anyone have any last minute advice before I go to do the dirty work tonight? They want $1200 more than what I was "told". I know it's not terribly bad...but that would've been my Cat Back!!
Help?
Old 1/31/05, 05:53 PM
Bullitt Member

WALK!!! what they did is not illegal but it isnt right either!!!
Old 1/31/05, 06:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by OSUstangfan@January 31, 2005, 7:56 PM
Don't walk. Not just yet.

Tell them if they do the right thing - keeping their word - you'll be the best customer they've ever had and sing their praises everywhere, steer customers their way via the net and in person.

Tell them if they don't, you'll be the worst customer they've ever had and be just as verbal in telling everyone how bad the experience was.

Then be prepared to do either based on what they do. They can decide whether your word of mouth advertising is worth it.
Old 1/31/05, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by DiamondBlue+January 31, 2005, 7:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DiamondBlue @ January 31, 2005, 7:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-OSUstangfan@January 31, 2005, 7:56 PM
Don't walk. Not just yet.

Tell them if they do the right thing - keeping their word - you'll be the best customer they've ever had and sing their praises everywhere, steer customers their way via the net and in person.

Tell them if they don't, you'll be the worst customer they've ever had and be just as verbal in telling everyone how bad the experience was.

Then be prepared to do either based on what they do. They can decide whether your word of mouth advertising is worth it.
[/b][/quote]

Believe me....my anger makes me feel like walking...but I'm not going down without a fight. No way...I've been waiting for this for too long

Thanks for the advise OSUstangfan. Either way...if things go well or not, the Forum will be the first to know.

thanks
Old 1/31/05, 06:17 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do whatever you can to speak louldy around other customers, scope the place out and make sure they're kind of busy before you go in. You might even want to have a few friends or relatives go there and pretend to shop just before you get there. This way they know they might be losing 2 sales rather than just yours. But man, that's one shady way to do business. I would also try to reason with them. Express that the difference is 'only' $1200. Remind them calmly that they'll likely make that on the next car you buy, or you may never go there again. Just remember that you yourself can guarantee them that for their $1200 you can guarantee that your family, friends, and co-workers will likely not buy there anytime in the near future. Be a "salesman" yourself and try to get your way by showing them the money they will be losing. Good luck, there seems to be quite a few California people on this forum.
Old 1/31/05, 06:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@January 31, 2005, 7:20 PM
Do whatever you can to speak louldy around other customers, scope the place out and make sure they're kind of busy before you go in. You might even want to have a few friends or relatives go there and pretend to shop just before you get there. This way they know they might be losing 2 sales rather than just yours. But man, that's one shady way to do business. I would also try to reason with them. Express that the difference is 'only' $1200. Remind them calmly that they'll likely make that on the next car you buy, or you may never go there again. Just remember that you yourself can guarantee them that for their $1200 you can guarantee that your family, friends, and co-workers will likely not buy there anytime in the near future. Be a "salesman" yourself and try to get your way by showing them the money they will be losing. Good luck, there seems to be quite a few California people on this forum.
Threaten litigation. If you had an oral agreement, it is probably enforceable. I am assuming there is no writing, correct? Also, did they tell you price was subject to change? heck, would sue for the difference b/w MSRP and $500 over invoice. That would be small enough to come in under most state's small claims rules. Then I would publicize it everywhere as to what the suit was over.
Old 1/31/05, 06:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont give up!! i went threw some bs myself but i got what i wanted. ask for the owner . forget the sales manager!! also tell them will will tell ford about this problem!!
Old 1/31/05, 06:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I am not a lawer, but here is what I think:
In NJ verbal agreement is legally binding. I am assuming it is also the case in your state. The fact that the manager who approved the deal isn't there any longer, does not matter. At the time of his emplyment he represented the dealership and so the deal is legally binding. If the dealership refuses to make it good on their initial offer, do take them to to small claims court (mention that you will prior to that - they might change their position). It'll be your word against... wait a second, the other guy is not there any longer! So they will have to prove that he didn't make such promise. The only way to do that is to have the guy testify in court for them. However, since he no longer works for them, he probably won't be doing them a favor. The only thing after that is to make sure that if they keep their contract, they don't try to get back at you during negotiating for a trade-in or financing.
Old 1/31/05, 06:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by AvtoLubitel@January 31, 2005, 7:34 PM
In NJ verbal agreement is legally binding. I am assuming it is also the case in your state. The fact that the manager who approved the deal isn't there any longer, does not matter. At the time of his emplyment he represented the dealership and so the deal is legally binding. If the dealership refuses to make it good on their initial offer, do take them to to small claims court (mention that you will prior to that - they might change their position). It'll be your word against... wait a second, the other guy is not there any longer! So they will have to prove that he didn't make such promise. The only way to do that is to have the guy testify in court for them. However, since he no longer works for them, he probably won't be doing them a favor. The only thing after that is to make sure that if they keep their contract, they don't try to get back at you during negotiating for a trade-in or financing.
Very good reasoning. I am a lawyer actually (by the way, this is not legal advice), and I agree completely. Only problem is that the burden of proof will fall on the Plaintiff. However, in small claims court, often it comes down to who the judge believes more. Surely one could convince a judge they are not lying versus a car salesman (the only less respected profession than mine!!!)
Old 1/31/05, 06:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by AvtoLubitel@January 31, 2005, 8:34 PM
So they will have to prove that he didn't make such promise.

No, the original poster will have to prove they did.
Old 1/31/05, 06:44 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by AvtoLubitel@January 31, 2005, 8:34 PM
I was thinking this as well but wasn't sure if it is Cali law. Now would be a great time to buy one of those little digital voice recorders. They're getting pretty cheap now and have all sorts of cool little uses (making a note to yourself in the car, grocery list, directions... getting a shady salesman on tape, etc). Just record a conversation of you asking why they won't honor your previous agreement. Ask them "Why won't you honor the deal just because the other salesman isn't here?" When they say "Because we just can't sell a GT for that price..." you'll have all the ammo you need to threaten a suit and have them back down. Get your financing from a credit union, bank, etc. Get some other dealerships offer to buy your car first so you'll know if you want to take their offer or not (keep in mind the tax diff). Don't worry about the 'taping someone without their knowledge' thing. I'm pretty sure that only applies to criminal cases. But... I am not a lawyer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Edit: The term 'Oral Contract' comes to mind. (get your mind out of the gutter...)
Old 1/31/05, 06:49 PM
FR500 Member

Check with the BBB and see if the dealer a member. You can file a complaint with them and I believe it has to be arbitrated unless the dealer does right by you. The fact that the manager who made the verbal with you is no longer there, is not a viable excuse and the dealership knows that. They will protect their standing with the Better Business Bureau.
Old 1/31/05, 06:53 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe I am missing something, but having a verbal agreement as legally binding is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. Unless it's recorded you can't prove that the agreement was ever made.
Old 1/31/05, 06:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by holderca1@January 31, 2005, 7:56 PM
Maybe I am missing something, but having a verbal agreement as legally binding is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. Unless it's recorded you can't prove that the agreement was ever made.
But it is nonetheless a legally binding contract. No one said anything about realistically showing evidence of it existence.
Old 1/31/05, 07:00 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Hum.....next to an Engineering Forum, maybe we should also have a Lawyer Forum....LOL.

Even expand TMS...... "TMS LEGAL ADVICE"
Old 1/31/05, 07:05 PM
FR500 Member

[quote=holderca1,January 31, 2005, 5:56 PM]

Verbal is legally binding in California. If the present management says they won't abide by a verbal made by a manager "who isn't here anymore", they are admitting that a verbal existed in the first place. Would hold up anywhere. It's now up to them to prove a verbal didn't exist.
Old 1/31/05, 07:36 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by holderca1@January 31, 2005, 8:56 PM
Hey man, on Mustang stuff, you're almost always right. But here's some info for you.

Contract Components
There are three elements that must be present for a contract to exist: an offer, an acceptance, and consideration.

Offer
The first step to creating a contract is an offer. An offer is a written or spoken statement by a party of his or her intention to be held to a commitment upon the acceptance of the offer. There are a number of factors to look at to determine whether a statement constitutes an offer.

Is the person making the offer serious? A person who jokingly states that he will sell his or her new house for $100 is not making an offer.

Does the statement show a willingness of the party to be held to its contents? A person requesting a price quote or opening negotiations is not making an offer. Advertisements usually are seen as invitations to offers.

Does the statement contain definite terms regarding the subject matter? Is the subject matter identified, are the parties identified, is the price set, are quantities determined, and is time for performance stated? There should be enough information contained in the statement that, if needed, a court would be able to enforce the contract or determine the damages.

Sorry for the legnth of the post, but there's the info. Here's the Source.

The offer has been made, he accepted it, and consideration (as little as a promise) has been given. The contract is legal, it just has to be proven.
Old 1/31/05, 07:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by wild stray@January 31, 2005, 9:08 PM
Verbal is legally binding in California. If the present management says they won't abide by a verbal made by a manager "who isn't here anymore", they are admitting that a verbal existed in the first place. Would hold up anywhere.
No, they're not, and no it wouldn't. If I walked in and said "Manager LongGone said I could have it for $X" the easiest reply for them is to say "we can't enforce a verbal agreement made by him, he's gone".

That's not a statement of admission.
Old 1/31/05, 07:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.+January 31, 2005, 8:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05GT-O.C.D. @ January 31, 2005, 8:39 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-holderca1@January 31, 2005, 8:56 PM
Hey man, on Mustang stuff, you're almost always right. But here's some info for you.

Contract Components
There are three elements that must be present for a contract to exist: an offer, an acceptance, and consideration.

Offer
The first step to creating a contract is an offer. An offer is a written or spoken statement by a party of his or her intention to be held to a commitment upon the acceptance of the offer. There are a number of factors to look at to determine whether a statement constitutes an offer.

Is the person making the offer serious? A person who jokingly states that he will sell his or her new house for $100 is not making an offer.

Does the statement show a willingness of the party to be held to its contents? A person requesting a price quote or opening negotiations is not making an offer. Advertisements usually are seen as invitations to offers.

Does the statement contain definite terms regarding the subject matter? Is the subject matter identified, are the parties identified, is the price set, are quantities determined, and is time for performance stated? There should be enough information contained in the statement that, if needed, a court would be able to enforce the contract or determine the damages.

Sorry for the legnth of the post, but there's the info. Here's the Source.

The offer has been made, he accepted it, and consideration (as little as a promise) has been given. The contract is legal, it just has to be proven.
[/b][/quote]

Wow...pulling out the components of a bilateral contract. Really into this. Need a job as a paralegal?
Old 1/31/05, 07:58 PM
FR500 Member

[quote=67ktang,January 31, 2005, 4:51 PM]
I ordered my 'stang back in October. Black GT, IUP, upgraded rims, alarm system etc etc.

By the way, nice choice of colors!

Quick Reply: No more $500 over invoice!