2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Newbie manual driver, need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 8/28/07, 07:57 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangLynda
Easiest thing to do is start letting the clutch out somewhat slowly. When you feel it start to grab, give it a LITTLE gas. Make sure the clutch is completely out when the car starts to move (keep your foot OFF the clutch unless you are actually shifting). When the RPMs reach about 3K, which will happen fairly quickly in first, shift into second. When you shift into second, completely depress the clutch, put the gearshift into second, let the clutch out, when you feel it start to grab, give it gas. Put the clutch in, stop. Put the car in first, and start over. Do it again and again, first second first second first second. You WILL stall the car out. You WILL jerk around, it's just part of the learning process. First and second are the hardest to learn. Third and fourth are more fluid shifts. Unless you are in a huge parking lot, you may not even make it to third because you will probably be going slow enough to not need third gear. Put it this way - you can go from 0-60 in first and second in this car if you really wanted to, so no, 20 mph is not too fast or too high for second gear (although it may SOUND like it). As far as "over reving", "too high" is red line on the tac and if you redline in second I guarantee you you are going to be going WAY faster than 20 mph. If you really want to get out of second (i.e. the RPM's hit 3K), shift to THIRD, not fourth. I am usually in second or third in parking lots.

From a more "mechanical" perspective, keep in mind when your left foot is going down (on the clutch), your right foot is going up (off the gas) and vice versa. Sit in a chair (or in the car) and practice the following: All at the same time put your right foot up (off the gas) put your left foot down (clutch in) while at the same time moving your right arm into a gear. All three motions at the same time. Followed by left foot up (clutch out) and right foot down (gas). Your brain will eventually learn this pattern and you will do it automatically.

If you need to stop quickly and get yourself in a hairy situation because you are not sure what to do about shifting, push the clutch in and hit the brakes. Worry about what gear to take off in after that.

One thing to keep in mind is do not shift based on MPH, shift based on what the RPMs are, no matter what gear you are in. Shifting at 2500-3K RPM is conservative and should keep you from jerking etc while you're learning. The harder you hit the gas, the faster the RPMs will rise ("rev")and the quicker you will need to shift to the next gear. In the beginning this may require you to keep your eye on the tac, but after awhile you will learn what 3K feels and sounds like and you won't have to look as much.

I don't know if fourth at 20 mph will actually hurt your car, but you certainly won't have enough power to go and the car will "bottom out" so to speak. If you are in second and need to shift, go to third next.

As far as downshifting, it is better to error by shifting into a gear that is too high rather than too low. If you shift into too low of a gear, when you let the clutch out the tac will shoot up and the car will jerk majorly (and you will fly forward). This is NOT good for your car. Myself (others may think differently) I usually don't downshift to second unless I'm going pretty darn slow to begin with and I almost NEVER downshift to first unless I am stopped.

This concludes Lynda's dissertation. I digress. Good luck!
Thanks a lot Linda, I will try that later. You even wrote more than my original post. Thanks again.
Old 8/29/07, 02:13 AM
V6 Member

For some reason when I shift from 1st to 2nd the car jerks so much and has like a clump, is that bad? I hear that everyone is telling me to releasing the clutch slowly, but would that take me a long time to shift to the next gear? Also when shifting to second, do I have to depress the clutch in fully? I have been only been depressing half way to shift to 2nd. Am I doing something that is not good for the car?
Old 8/29/07, 06:27 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by chowgp
For some reason when I shift from 1st to 2nd the car jerks so much and has like a clump, is that bad? I hear that everyone is telling me to releasing the clutch slowly, but would that take me a long time to shift to the next gear? Also when shifting to second, do I have to depress the clutch in fully? I have been only been depressing half way to shift to 2nd. Am I doing something that is not good for the car?
YES! Always, always, always, depress all the way.
Old 8/29/07, 06:48 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I know the clunk you are talking about.

There is a lot of slop in this system.
I still get the clunk if i"m not smooth or on my game (like this morning when I'm half asleep)
(I ususally get it if I'm outta sync... not enough gas, with too quick a clutch release)

You have to be smoother.
Right ammount of gas with the right ammount of love on the clutch with the right timing.

I remember learning on this car and it was a love/hate.
Practice practice practice...
Old 8/29/07, 08:12 AM
V6 Member

After shifting to 2nd gear or anygear but mainly 2nd, do I have to apply gas the same time as I release the clutch like in 1st gear? That way so I don't get the clump after releasing the clutch after shifting to 2nd? I stall so much in 1st still when I get nervious and right now I'm afraid to drive the car.
Old 8/29/07, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

You sound like you need to forget about pressing the gas at all and learn to start the car forward without using the accelerator. Learn to start the car just by letting out slowly on the clutch. Hold it in and continue to hold it at the friction point until the car starts to move slowly forward. Once you are completely off the clutch give it a little gas and move forward. Control the car with the amount of gas you give it . Once you need to press the clutch all the way in and apply the breaks and stop the car. Do this over and over until you are comfortable with this in a parking lot that is free of obstacles and people and will stay that way while you practice.

Protip: You control the car. Make it a point to feel what is happening as you are doing it. You will find the sweet spot as you pratice. Don't be afraid to stall the car but remember if you are stalling the car you are doing it wrong. Slow release of the clutch.... slower the better. Forget about giving it gas because thats not doing you any good.

This is only for practice, once you get good with the friction point you will be able to apply gas let out the clutch at a more normal speed.
Old 8/29/07, 08:51 AM
V6 Member

When I shift gears do I have to depress the clutch in fully or can I do it half way? If I depress the clutch fully in, it is hard for me to release it out smooth because it takes so long to release it slow. Is there is a point in the clutch where you could release out fast and maybe when you get to the friction point release it slowly so there is no clump? I find it hard to shift fast if I have to release the clutch so slow, is there some technique to shift faster? Also if I release the clutch too fast and there is that clump/rock, does it harm the transmisson or the car? Sorry I ask so many questions but I want to get it just right. Thanks again everyone.
Old 8/29/07, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

When I shift gears do I have to depress the clutch in fully or can I do it half way? If I depress the clutch fully in, it is hard for me to release it out smooth because it takes so long to release it slow. Is there is a point in the clutch where you could release out fast and maybe when you get to the friction point release it slowly so there is no clump? I find it hard to shift fast if I have to release the clutch so slow, is there some technique to shift faster? Also if I release the clutch too fast and there is that clump/rock, does it harm the transmisson or the car? Sorry I ask so many questions but I want to get it just right. Thanks again everyone.
what you do to start the car really has nothing to do with driving the car once its moving. Shifts from 1st -2nd, 2nd to 3rd etc. are much easier than initial start.
Think of it this way:

1-10 mph first gear
10-20 mph 2nd gear
20-30 mph 3rd gear
30-40 mph 4th gear
50+ probably 5th gear overdrive.

So when you start do what I suggested to start the car. Get it moving correctly. You an stay in first for awhile and coast the car around playing with how much gas you give it or letting off the gas. Once you feel like you are moving at a good smooth even pace. Press the clutch all the way in... Make sure your seat is adjusted properly so you can press the clutch as much as needed. You can even practice just pressing the clutch and letting the car coast to a stop with your foot on the clutch. This will show you as you do it where the friction point on the clutch is. You don't need to manhandle it to do what you want if you do it right. Also you could try rather than shifting up gears going from first to first. Don't shift just practice starting the car moving forward. Press the clutch till you feel the car out of gear and let it back into gear slowly and as it feels good to you. Once comfortable you can start trying the shift to 2nd... and beyond but remember. The speed you are going isn't as important necessarily as doing the shift correctly. You will need to pratice finding the friction point and letting off the clutch from that point as needed during the shift as you give it gas. It's kinda like parallel parking. You don't just do it you have to practice.
Old 8/29/07, 09:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Also forget about being fast right now. you need to learn to drive the car
Old 8/29/07, 09:59 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think you are misunderstanding. Don't actually push the clutch all the way to the floor. you only have to press it as far as it takes to disengadged the gear. with practice you will find where that point is on your particular car. and make sure you aren't giving it gas before letting the clutch out cause that will wear your clutch really bad.
Old 8/29/07, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Knight
IDon't actually push the clutch all the way to the floor. you only have to press it as far as it takes to disengadged the gear. with practice you will find where that point is on your particular car.
Could you expand on this. I have problems getting smooth 1-2 & 2-3 shifts in this car. About how far down do you push the clutch when shifting?
Old 8/29/07, 11:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you will feel a point when the clutch releases and the car stops its forward motion.... thats when you switch gears and start letting it back out.
Old 8/29/07, 11:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

the whole thing with getting "smooth" shifts is letting that clutch out slowly. too fast and its going to jerk the car, and be smooth with the throttle too, this can also cause the car to be jerky while your letting the clutch out.
Old 8/29/07, 11:46 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by davisinla
Could you expand on this. I have problems getting smooth 1-2 & 2-3 shifts in this car. About how far down do you push the clutch when shifting?
The easiest way to know is if you have the car at a dead stop. with clutch pressed to the floor and gear in 1st. make sure that you are on an even surface so you can leave foot off the brake.

As you lift the clutch slowly you will find a point where the car will start to to move and/or engine rpm will slightly drop. that is the point that you need to press the clutch past to have the gear disengadged. Much further down then that is just a waste of non needed foot movment.
Old 8/29/07, 12:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

As you lift the clutch slowly you will find a point where the car will start to to move and/or engine rpm will slightly drop. that is the point that you need to press the clutch past to have the gear disengadged. Much further down then that is just a waste of non needed foot movment.
I've always pressed clutches pretty much all the way down, but I'll give your suggestion a try.

Do all you other shifters out there do the same thing?
Old 8/29/07, 01:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

yea, once you get used to driving a stick this is common practice and youll do it without even knowing.
Old 8/29/07, 02:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

[quote]
For some reason when I shift from 1st to 2nd the car jerks so much and has like a clump, is that bad?
If you are shifting with the clutch 1/2 way out, it will jump and clump. Do not move the shifter until the clutch is fully to the floor. Having said that, the transmission is loud, so don't worry about the clump sounds for now.
I hear that everyone is telling me to releasing the clutch slowly, but would that take me a long time to shift to the next gear?
No, because when you are releasing the clutch you are not shifting. The only time you should be shifting is when the clutch is in, not out. What releasing slowly will do however is slow down how fast you are moving forward.
Also when shifting to second, do I have to depress the clutch in fully? I have been only been depressing half way to shift to 2nd.
Yes, fully to the floor, no matter what gear you are shifting into.
Old 8/29/07, 02:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

[quote]
After shifting to 2nd gear or anygear but mainly 2nd, do I have to apply gas the same time as I release the clutch like in 1st gear? That way so I don't get the clump after releasing the clutch after shifting to 2nd?
If I understand your question right, pretty much yes.
I stall so much in 1st still when I get nervious and right now I'm afraid to drive the car.
Keep trying. You would learn a heck of a lot faster if someone were in the car teaching you. It's hard to describe in words only how to shift, etc.
Old 8/29/07, 02:21 PM
V6 Member

The easiest way to know is if you have the car at a dead stop. with clutch pressed to the floor and gear in 1st. make sure that you are on an even surface so you can leave foot off the brake.

Thanks knight that answered my question as to how far I press the clutch in. Do you know if releasing the clutch out too fast ( making the clump/rocking movement) would harm the car's transmission?
Old 8/29/07, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think you are misunderstanding. Don't actually push the clutch all the way to the floor. you only have to press it as far as it takes to disengadged the gear. with practice you will find where that point is on your particular car. and make sure you aren't giving it gas before letting the clutch out cause that will wear your clutch really bad.
I guess I never thought about that, I always just pushed the clutch all the way to the floor. I'll have to try that on the way home tonight....

Quick Reply: Newbie manual driver, need some advice.