2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

New Years Mustang Resolution

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/09, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to get a hood scoop and an O/R prochamber, as well as some interior bits and maybe get my factory 18s powdercoated black. But I need to concentrate on sourcing some 17's and snow tires by the end of 2010
Old 12/28/09, 04:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I'd like to add some sort of power adder this year to compensate for living at 6000' ... if i dont spend all my money on tires that is
Old 12/29/09, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
I will not trade in my paid off Mustang for a 5.0 with another car payment.
AMEN to that! I will add to that!

I will not trade in my paid off Mustang for a divorce and a new Grabber Blue 5.0.
Old 12/29/09, 10:14 AM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
I will buy an old 5.0 project when I get a job
Old 12/29/09, 10:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sell my car for a 5.0 '11 GT.
Old 12/29/09, 11:08 AM
V6 Member

To continue to wave a fellow Mustang drivers on the road, regardless whether they wave back or not.
Old 12/29/09, 11:50 AM

I will pay off the GT/CS in March and try to avoid getting another "Exhibition of Accelleration" ticket in 2010...

Oh and install the Saleen shocks, struts and springs that have been sitting on my garage floor for the past 5 months.
Old 1/1/10, 10:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

My 2010 resolution: Forge the motor, new block..etc, rework the heads bump up the boost to 16psi for the track and maybe 12-14 around town. Hopefully 650 RWHP for less than the cost and install of the Whipple

sounds resonable, right ?
Old 1/2/10, 06:51 AM
GT Member

Be happy and content with mid to low 9s.....and not spend the money involved in trying for 8s.
Old 1/2/10, 07:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not going to order a new GT 350 after just buying a SGT/BJ when they come out as an option on the 2011 Mustang GT from SAI with the new 5 liter motor. I am not going to do it, I only have 473 miles on my Shelby.

Yea right here we go again.......

Last edited by tapd117; 1/2/10 at 07:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 1/6/10, 05:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

to get my car fixed the way it should be fixed! and the resolution!

New Street/Dyno Tune, IAT Sensor Relocation, 60lb Injectors, Smaller Pulley
Old 1/6/10, 09:29 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Okay, last one for a while...

To have the pictures i'm having taken today of the Mustang be awesome! So that means I better go clean it up.
Old 1/6/10, 10:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ford4v429
I hope to FINALLY get started on the 69 fastback, its been collecting dust in the garage for 26 years now...rotisserie frame is standing up in the garage, bearing mounts installed, just gotta make up the mounts for the car and get it mounted up...
way overkill for a rotisserie(was a 3 ton overhead a-frame/gantry) but it was free, and I got rocks in my head/just love saving stuff from the scrapheap...cleaned up the rust, cut/flipped some parts around, added 4" bearing mounts- once the mustangs done, can flip the parts back around to use as a gantry crane(but will have to stand it up inside the garage somehow, as it wont fit thru the doors in original configuration)
x2 (My '69 project needs to be completed for the 50th which means I have to start this year!) and please update with pics of your progress...!
Old 1/6/10, 08:03 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 69CaliStang
x2 (My '69 project needs to be completed for the 50th which means I have to start this year!) and please update with pics of your progress...!
never thought about the 50th...might be a good goal here too, will take that much time with other projects...that is if I DO get started on it.

mines hopefully going to get the '69 429-4v from my first car (I wrecked it in 1980), to help with the iron bigblock loads, going to do a RRS-like coilover strut setup and tower notching plates- the setup looks OEM, and by moving the spring pressure to the balljoint CL instead of midway down the control arm, it reduces load on the towers by half...should help everything out a lot.
Mines got serious rot from sitting so long- floors are good, but the front torqueboxes were plugged with undercoating, and the door bottoms too, one quarter will need a piece patched in front of the wheel, hoping the rear rails will be fine, but doubt it...original owner had texaco undercoat it- they used cosmoline, to this day if it gets pushed out in the sun it will drip...saved most of the tin, but it plugged some drains enough to let it hold water apparently- started scraping off several years ago, poked holes in the front boxes...stripping that goo will be the worst part of the job probably...luckily the rockers/etc are fine. the old paint is showiing its age, the roof/hood has crazing, will need to strip the whole thing anyways- original owner had wrecked it new, drivers quarter was replaced- hopefully wont find a messy job there, think it was donr right, welds in the trunk/etc looked good.
fuel tank worries me- makes the pinto look safe...some kind of fuel cell at a minimum, maybe (dreaming) under the rear seat/floor like the S197(probably safest tank position ever?), but that means no leafsprings, etc...contemplated getting a rear floor clip from a S197, never measured to see if even remotely feasible...depending on severity of rust/amount of cutting required will probably decide then...if its all got to come out, why not put in something safer/better handling? never plan on parting with it, so not concerned about originality- its got enough rust 20 yrs ago noone woulda probably messed with it- although these days, see some pretty nasty stuff getting all the required TLC...
Anyway, will take lots of pics and update - again, just got to get off my butt/off this stupid laptop and out in the garage
Any pics of yours/whats your plans?
Old 1/7/10, 11:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ford4v429
never thought about the 50th...might be a good goal here too, will take that much time with other projects...that is if I DO get started on it.

mines hopefully going to get the '69 429-4v from my first car (I wrecked it in 1980), to help with the iron bigblock loads, going to do a RRS-like coilover strut setup and tower notching plates- the setup looks OEM, and by moving the spring pressure to the balljoint CL instead of midway down the control arm, it reduces load on the towers by half...should help everything out a lot.
Mines got serious rot from sitting so long- floors are good, but the front torqueboxes were plugged with undercoating, and the door bottoms too, one quarter will need a piece patched in front of the wheel, hoping the rear rails will be fine, but doubt it...original owner had texaco undercoat it- they used cosmoline, to this day if it gets pushed out in the sun it will drip...saved most of the tin, but it plugged some drains enough to let it hold water apparently- started scraping off several years ago, poked holes in the front boxes...stripping that goo will be the worst part of the job probably...luckily the rockers/etc are fine. the old paint is showiing its age, the roof/hood has crazing, will need to strip the whole thing anyways- original owner had wrecked it new, drivers quarter was replaced- hopefully wont find a messy job there, think it was donr right, welds in the trunk/etc looked good.
fuel tank worries me- makes the pinto look safe...some kind of fuel cell at a minimum, maybe (dreaming) under the rear seat/floor like the S197(probably safest tank position ever?), but that means no leafsprings, etc...contemplated getting a rear floor clip from a S197, never measured to see if even remotely feasible...depending on severity of rust/amount of cutting required will probably decide then...if its all got to come out, why not put in something safer/better handling? never plan on parting with it, so not concerned about originality- its got enough rust 20 yrs ago noone woulda probably messed with it- although these days, see some pretty nasty stuff getting all the required TLC...
Anyway, will take lots of pics and update - again, just got to get off my butt/off this stupid laptop and out in the garage
Any pics of yours/whats your plans?
Hey Tim,

Yeah I thought it would be cool to take the two Mustangs and the family to the 50th. I have not seen any info on where it will be held but it really doesn't matter. You have quite a list there. You need to really share your pics and progress; I for one am very interested to see where you take your '69. My car is a standard sportsroof that was built in San Jose, CA nearby my hometown in the SF Bay Area. It has always been a California car so rust is almost non-existent which is nice. So much of my car is original that I am starting with fixing the glue in windows, which have nagged me since '88 when I bought it, and completely restoring the doors. Once that is done the engine and tranny are coming out and the 351W will get rebuilt and I am putting a 5-Speed in. While they are out I will have the engine compartment media blasted and I will need to replace everything... So I have my work cut out for me... I will find my thread in the 1st gen section and post it... Not a lot has been done but like I said this year I need to make some serious time for the project...
Old 1/8/10, 08:04 AM
Bullitt Member

I promise REALLY to stop bashing the rear end treatment of the 2010+. Hard to do when something just doesn't look right.
Old 1/8/10, 10:08 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I promise REALLY to stop bashing the rear end treatment of the 2010+. Hard to do when something just doesn't look right.
I think this is something we could all strive a little harder to do. We don't like it, we know that..time to move on.
Old 1/8/10, 05:31 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I'll also try to quit bashing the '10 rearend...my apologies to those that loved the 2010 rearend right out of the gate, to those that hated the 2005 rearend right out of the gate, and the other 90% of us that are probably just tired of hearing it...it is what it is, its a Mustang, and its got a nicer interior, and now better powertrain... I will still be praying the 2014 winds up with more universally accepted styling ideas, but for now still gotta say its the best ponycar on the market
Old 1/10/10, 06:55 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Next time I go drag racing I will not embarass any Mustangs and GT500's in particular with a craptacular 13.5 (although this is much better than the guy running 15's in his GT500), even if I'm gonna cheat and get a better rear suspension.

I also want to check out the ECTA and see if I can run my car without hacking it up and with the speed limiter off.
Old 1/10/10, 07:05 PM

Mine is to build my 06 and turn the boost up and purchase a fox body for a daily driver