New Wheels...What a difference - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums


2005-2009 Mustang S197 Discussion & News

New Wheels...What a difference

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10/10/17, 12:04 PM   #1
Cobra R Member
Thread Starter
 
wanted33's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 26, 2012
Location: Down south in Dixie
Posts: 1,583
Thanked 35 Times in 33 Posts
New Wheels...What a difference

Niche Targa Anthracite. After much thought I decided to go with new wheels instead of refinishing the old ones. I knew they would change the entire looks of the car, so I let the bride help in the decision....hey, I'm a married man, what else can I say.









Last edited by wanted33; 10/10/17 at 01:22 PM.
wanted33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Old 10/11/17, 06:46 AM   #2
Post *****
 
Glenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: August 7, 2006
Location: Lockport il
Posts: 14,200
Thanked 102 Times in 92 Posts
Nice and pics of the Bride??
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
wanted33 (10/11/17)
Old 10/12/17, 06:52 AM   #3
Shelby GT350 Member
 
05YellowGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 24, 2005
Location: Delray Beach , FL
Posts: 2,204
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Nice ...
05YellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 05YellowGT For This Useful Post:
wanted33 (10/12/17)
Old 10/12/17, 10:59 AM   #4
Cobra R Member
Thread Starter
 
wanted33's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 26, 2012
Location: Down south in Dixie
Posts: 1,583
Thanked 35 Times in 33 Posts
Glenn, that's my bride standing beside some old fart that she can't seem to run off.


wanted33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/17, 06:05 PM   #5
GTR Member
 
m05fastbackGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 11, 2006
Location: Carnegie, PA
Posts: 5,533
Thanked 106 Times in 101 Posts
Jim, from one old fart to another.. We're both very blessed and fortunate to have such awesome brides who support our hobby as classic car enthusiasts that love Mustangs as much as we do
m05fastbackGT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m05fastbackGT For This Useful Post:
wanted33 (10/12/17)
Old 10/12/17, 07:17 PM   #6
GTR Member
 
GrnT's Avatar
 
Join Date: March 6, 2008
Location: Apple Valley Mn.
Posts: 5,608
Thanked 68 Times in 63 Posts
Beautiful car. Great wheels. Awesome looking couple.
GrnT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrnT For This Useful Post:
wanted33 (10/12/17)
Old 10/12/17, 07:17 PM   #7
Cobra R Member
Thread Starter
 
wanted33's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 26, 2012
Location: Down south in Dixie
Posts: 1,583
Thanked 35 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT View Post
Jim, from one old fart to another.. We're both very blessed and fortunate to have such awesome brides who support our hobby as classic car enthusiasts that love Mustangs as much as we do
So true Rocky. She is one of the best, and has been very understanding concerning my love for cars. As all can see she has basically caught my addiction to fast cars, and told me the other day she may want to look at the 2018 GT's. Funny thing is when the new American Muscle mag comes in the mail she tosses it over, and says "Is there anything I need for my car that I don't know about?" What a woman.

BTW, how ya liking the new exhaust on your baby?
wanted33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wanted33 For This Useful Post:
m05fastbackGT (10/13/17)
Old 10/13/17, 04:28 PM   #8
GTR Member
 
m05fastbackGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 11, 2006
Location: Carnegie, PA
Posts: 5,533
Thanked 106 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanted33 View Post
So true Rocky. She is one of the best, and has been very understanding concerning my love for cars. As all can see she has basically caught my addiction to fast cars, and told me the other day she may want to look at the 2018 GT's. Funny thing is when the new American Muscle mag comes in the mail she tosses it over, and says "Is there anything I need for my car that I don't know about?" What a woman.

BTW, how ya liking the new exhaust on your baby?
Jim, your wife is most definitely one of the best for sure, no doubt.. Anyway I'm liking the overall sound of the Borla S-type, except for the dreaded interior resonance drone.. Since then, I took the stock catted mid pipe off and installed an O/R prochamber in which the drone isn't quite as annoying when I ran the stock catted H, but the drone is never the less still there..

So my next step is to look into either adding Magnaflow 59956 high-flow cats to the O/R prochamber or consider adding Vibrant 1793 resonators to the over the axle pipes, just before the rear axle or perhaps adding both if necessary and find out as to how well they help in further reducing cabin drone..

One thing is for certain, after finally getting an opportunity to listen to Borla Ataks on a 2008 Shelby GT in person at a local car cruise.. I found out from the Shelby owner that he experiences no interior resonance drone from the Borla ATAK's whatsoever in which he runs them with the stock catted mid pipe that sound really awesome at both idle and part throttle, but when he really gets on it is when they truly come alive and get loud, but not obnoxiously too loud or annoying to where you can still carry on a conversation or whenever listening to music..

At any rate, if the high-flow cats and resonators don't help in reducing the interior resonance drone from the Borla S-types ? Then my next option will be upgrading to the Borla Atak's and putting the Borla S-types up for sale

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/13/17 at 05:00 PM.
m05fastbackGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/17, 05:12 PM   #9
Cobra R Member
Thread Starter
 
wanted33's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 26, 2012
Location: Down south in Dixie
Posts: 1,583
Thanked 35 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT View Post
Jim, your wife is most definitely one of the best for sure, no doubt.. Anyway I'm liking the overall sound of the Borla S-type, except for the dreaded interior resonance drone.. Since then, I took the stock catted mid pipe off and installed an O/R prochamber in which the drone isn't quite as annoying when I ran the stock catted H, but the drone is never the less still there..

So my next step is to look into either adding Magnaflow 59956 high-flow cats to the O/R prochamber or consider adding Vibrant 1793 resonators to the over the axle pipes, just before the rear axle or perhaps adding both if necessary and find out as to how well they help in further reducing cabin drone..

One thing is for certain, after finally getting an opportunity to listen to Borla Ataks on a 2008 Shelby GT in person at a local car cruise.. I found out from the Shelby owner that he experiences no interior resonance drone from the Borla ATAK's whatsoever in which he runs them with the stock catted mid pipe that sound really awesome at both idle and part throttle, but when he really gets on it is when they truly come alive and get loud, but not obnoxiously too loud or annoying to where you can still carry on a conversation or whenever listening to music..

At any rate, if the high-flow cats and resonators don't help in reducing the interior resonance drone from the Borla S-types ? Then my next option will be upgrading to the Borla Atak's and putting the Borla S-types up for sale
I understand about the drone, but surprised that the Borla's with their experience would do that. I made the mistake of putting Flowmasters on a 5.0L Ford f-150. The drone was horrible between 50 - 65, right where you cruise most of the time. I think it was a Communist plot to overthrow the country. Anyho, I hope you can cure your's. A drone in the exhaust can take the fun out of driving.

BTW, the wife told me last night that I could put any option on the '18 I wanted as long as it was a Ruby Red convertible. I can work with that.
wanted33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/17, 06:10 PM   #10
GTR Member
 
Mustang Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: March 6, 2012
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 5,933
Thanks: 0
Thanked 167 Times in 152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanted33
BTW, the wife told me last night that I could put any option on the '18 I wanted as long as it was a Ruby Red convertible. I can work with that.
'18 GT350R Ruby Red Convertible (1 of 1)
Mustang Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mustang Freak For This Useful Post:
wanted33 (10/14/17)
Old 10/13/17, 09:59 PM   #11
GTR Member
 
m05fastbackGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 11, 2006
Location: Carnegie, PA
Posts: 5,533
Thanked 106 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanted33 View Post
I understand about the drone, but surprised that the Borla's with their experience would do that. I made the mistake of putting Flowmasters on a 5.0L Ford f-150. The drone was horrible between 50 - 65, right where you cruise most of the time. I think it was a Communist plot to overthrow the country. Anyho, I hope you can cure your's. A drone in the exhaust can take the fun out of driving.

BTW, the wife told me last night that I could put any option on the '18 I wanted as long as it was a Ruby Red convertible. I can work with that.
Jim, you would think with the experience Borla has in regards to R&D and also being well known for engineering their exhaust systems to produce the least amount of resonance drone, they would've either improved upon the design of the S-type in order to correct the drone issues or discontinue production altogether..

In all honestly, Borla was able to accomplish this when they came out with their multi-core design mufflers, such as the Borla ATAK and multi-core S-type design for the 2010-14 GT and 2010-14 GT500 models.. However the S-type design for all 2005-09 models have not been upgraded whatsoever and still continue to use the original single core design from 11+ years ago.. Therefore what I don't quite understand is the reason Borla upgraded the S-type design for the 2010-14 models, but not for the 2005-09 models

At any rate, I hope that by adding either high-flow cats and possibly adding resonators will help cure the resonance drone as well in which your absolutely spot on when it comes to drone in the exhaust as taking the fun out of the driving experience..

On a lighter note, it's so awesome that your wife said you can get any option you want on a "18" as long as it's a Ruby Red convertible..

That being said, I could also work with that very well with no worries at all

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/15/17 at 11:06 AM.
m05fastbackGT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m05fastbackGT For This Useful Post:
wanted33 (10/14/17)
Old 10/16/17, 08:14 AM   #12
Cobra Member
 
NC07GTCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: December 17, 2012
Location: Western NC
Posts: 1,109
Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
Just came back from Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA (Howl O Scream) and saw this thread. Excellent choice IMO. Matches very well and gives the right look. A little tougher to clean than a 5 spoke but not too bad.
NC07GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NC07GTCS For This Useful Post:
wanted33 (10/16/17)
Old 10/16/17, 02:44 PM   #13
Cobra R Member
Thread Starter
 
wanted33's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 26, 2012
Location: Down south in Dixie
Posts: 1,583
Thanked 35 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC07GTCS View Post
Just came back from Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA (Howl O Scream) and saw this thread. Excellent choice IMO. Matches very well and gives the right look. :nice: A little tougher to clean than a 5 spoke but not too bad.
Thanks Dave, and they do take a little bit longer to clean. However, I have the new style Z06 wheels (dubbed "crab pinchers") on my Vette, and these niche are simple in comparison. Those Z06 wheels take nearly as long to clean, as it takes to wash the dang car. They seemed like a good idea at the time, but in retrospect.


Last edited by wanted33; 10/16/17 at 02:56 PM.
wanted33 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Featured Sponsors

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:16 AM.


2010, The Mustang Source