The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   New Wheels...What a difference (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/new-wheels-what-difference-544696/)

wanted33 10/10/17 12:04 PM

New Wheels...What a difference

Niche Targa Anthracite. After much thought I decided to go with new wheels instead of refinishing the old ones. I knew they would change the entire looks of the car, so I let the bride help in the decision....hey, I'm a married man, what else can I say. :D

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...2031d03d36.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...1bdbae2cc4.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...311823b963.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...8d58f54013.jpg

Glenn 10/11/17 06:46 AM

Nice and pics of the Bride??

05YellowGT 10/12/17 06:52 AM

Nice ...

wanted33 10/12/17 10:59 AM

Glenn, that's my bride standing beside some old fart that she can't seem to run off. :)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...3b1d227a81.jpg

m05fastbackGT 10/12/17 06:05 PM

Jim, from one old fart to another.. We're both very blessed and fortunate to have such awesome brides who support our hobby as classic car enthusiasts that love Mustangs as much as we do :nice:

GrnT 10/12/17 07:17 PM

Beautiful car. Great wheels. Awesome looking couple. :nice:

wanted33 10/12/17 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT (Post 7021112)
Jim, from one old fart to another.. We're both very blessed and fortunate to have such awesome brides who support our hobby as classic car enthusiasts that love Mustangs as much as we do :nice:

So true Rocky. She is one of the best, and has been very understanding concerning my love for cars. As all can see she has basically caught my addiction to fast cars, and told me the other day she may want to look at the 2018 GT's. Funny thing is when the new American Muscle mag comes in the mail she tosses it over, and says "Is there anything I need for my car that I don't know about?" What a woman. :nice:

BTW, how ya liking the new exhaust on your baby?

m05fastbackGT 10/13/17 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33 (Post 7021117)
So true Rocky. She is one of the best, and has been very understanding concerning my love for cars. As all can see she has basically caught my addiction to fast cars, and told me the other day she may want to look at the 2018 GT's. Funny thing is when the new American Muscle mag comes in the mail she tosses it over, and says "Is there anything I need for my car that I don't know about?" What a woman. :nice:

BTW, how ya liking the new exhaust on your baby?

Jim, your wife is most definitely one of the best for sure, no doubt.. Anyway I'm liking the overall sound of the Borla S-type, except for the dreaded interior resonance drone.. Since then, I took the stock catted mid pipe off and installed an O/R prochamber in which the drone isn't quite as annoying when I ran the stock catted H, but the drone is never the less still there..

So my next step is to look into either adding Magnaflow 59956 high-flow cats to the O/R prochamber or consider adding Vibrant 1793 resonators to the over the axle pipes, just before the rear axle or perhaps adding both if necessary and find out as to how well they help in further reducing cabin drone..

One thing is for certain, after finally getting an opportunity to listen to Borla Ataks on a 2008 Shelby GT in person at a local car cruise.. I found out from the Shelby owner that he experiences no interior resonance drone from the Borla ATAK's whatsoever in which he runs them with the stock catted mid pipe that sound really awesome at both idle and part throttle, but when he really gets on it is when they truly come alive and get loud, but not obnoxiously too loud or annoying to where you can still carry on a conversation or whenever listening to music..

At any rate, if the high-flow cats and resonators don't help in reducing the interior resonance drone from the Borla S-types ? Then my next option will be upgrading to the Borla Atak's and putting the Borla S-types up for sale :dunno:

wanted33 10/13/17 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT (Post 7021152)
Jim, your wife is most definitely one of the best for sure, no doubt.. Anyway I'm liking the overall sound of the Borla S-type, except for the dreaded interior resonance drone.. Since then, I took the stock catted mid pipe off and installed an O/R prochamber in which the drone isn't quite as annoying when I ran the stock catted H, but the drone is never the less still there..

So my next step is to look into either adding Magnaflow 59956 high-flow cats to the O/R prochamber or consider adding Vibrant 1793 resonators to the over the axle pipes, just before the rear axle or perhaps adding both if necessary and find out as to how well they help in further reducing cabin drone..

One thing is for certain, after finally getting an opportunity to listen to Borla Ataks on a 2008 Shelby GT in person at a local car cruise.. I found out from the Shelby owner that he experiences no interior resonance drone from the Borla ATAK's whatsoever in which he runs them with the stock catted mid pipe that sound really awesome at both idle and part throttle, but when he really gets on it is when they truly come alive and get loud, but not obnoxiously too loud or annoying to where you can still carry on a conversation or whenever listening to music..

At any rate, if the high-flow cats and resonators don't help in reducing the interior resonance drone from the Borla S-types ? Then my next option will be upgrading to the Borla Atak's and putting the Borla S-types up for sale :dunno:

I understand about the drone, but surprised that the Borla's with their experience would do that. I made the mistake of putting Flowmasters on a 5.0L Ford f-150. The drone was horrible between 50 - 65, right where you cruise most of the time. I think it was a Communist plot to overthrow the country. :) Anyho, I hope you can cure your's. A drone in the exhaust can take the fun out of driving.

BTW, the wife told me last night that I could put any option on the '18 I wanted as long as it was a Ruby Red convertible. I can work with that.

Mustang Freak 10/13/17 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33
BTW, the wife told me last night that I could put any option on the '18 I wanted as long as it was a Ruby Red convertible. I can work with that.

'18 GT350R Ruby Red Convertible (1 of 1) :yup:

m05fastbackGT 10/13/17 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33 (Post 7021155)
I understand about the drone, but surprised that the Borla's with their experience would do that. I made the mistake of putting Flowmasters on a 5.0L Ford f-150. The drone was horrible between 50 - 65, right where you cruise most of the time. I think it was a Communist plot to overthrow the country. :) Anyho, I hope you can cure your's. A drone in the exhaust can take the fun out of driving.

Jim, you would think with the experience Borla has in regards to R&D and also being well known for engineering their exhaust systems to produce the least amount of resonance drone, they would've either improved upon the design of the S-type in order to correct the drone issues or discontinue production altogether..

In all honestly, Borla was able to accomplish this when they came out with their multi-core design mufflers, such as the Borla ATAK and multi-core S-type design for the 2010-14 GT and 2010-14 GT500 models.. However the S-type design for all 2005-09 models have not been upgraded whatsoever and still continue to use the original single core design from 11+ years ago.. Therefore what I don't quite understand is the reason Borla upgraded the S-type design for the 2010-14 models, but not for the 2005-09 models :dunno:

At any rate, I hope that by adding either high-flow cats and possibly adding resonators will help cure the resonance drone as well in which your absolutely spot on when it comes to drone in the exhaust as taking the fun out of the driving experience..

On a lighter note, it's so awesome that your wife said you can get any option you want on a "18" as long as it's a Ruby Red convertible..

That being said, I could also work with that very well with no worries at all :nice:

NC14GT 10/16/17 08:14 AM

Just came back from Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA (Howl O Scream) and saw this thread. Excellent choice IMO. Matches very well and gives the right look. :nice: A little tougher to clean than a 5 spoke but not too bad.

wanted33 10/16/17 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS (Post 7021242)
Just came back from Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA (Howl O Scream) and saw this thread. Excellent choice IMO. Matches very well and gives the right look. :nice: A little tougher to clean than a 5 spoke but not too bad.

Thanks Dave, and they do take a little bit longer to clean. However, I have the new style Z06 wheels (dubbed "crab pinchers") on my Vette, and these niche are simple in comparison. Those Z06 wheels take nearly as long to clean, as it takes to wash the dang car. They seemed like a good idea at the time, but in retrospect. :D

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...e0a79a0c07.jpg