Sponsored by:

Need Suggestions On Restructure

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/06, 11:12 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Need Suggestions On Restructure

Ok guys and gals, we are trying to get some input on what you guys want to see.

We are going to restructure the 2005+ section to reduce some subforums, as well as make it more streamlined. Anything particular you want to see or don't want to see?

Also give us ideas of things we can do as far as types of threads, how-to's, etc, that we can do to help kick start the information flow again. Not that its dead, but we've noticed a trend lately of it slacking off. With not much news coming out of Ford right now, theres not much to talk about. We've got some stuff in the works and more ideas in our heads, but we are a small group (the staff), you as a collective can throw out the ideas ten fold to what we have, thats why we are asking
Old 9/20/06, 11:27 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts

Remove the Project Source Horse forum?

Old 9/20/06, 11:40 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

I think thats about hte only one that I can't touch
Old 9/20/06, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I kind of like it how it is, i'm just now getting used to it after the last change.
Old 9/20/06, 03:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reduce the number of sub-sub forums. Maybe eleminate them completely. One performance sub forum is enough. There for a while, new sub-sub forums keep being added so fast I thought there would eventually be a sub-sub forum just for each color of car!

Same with modifications. If you just broke the modification sub forums down into a single "Performance" and a single "Appearance" sub forums, that would work well. Some of the sub-sub forums are so little used that I almost never even look at them.

Also, is there a reason that Warrantee and Service issues are forced into their own sub forum? To me, this is EXACTLY the type of material that should be in the main forum so everyone will see it.

I do understand the goal of using the sub (and sub-sub) forums. The problem is it is very easy to go too far and sub divide the forum until it is useless.
Old 9/20/06, 04:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually like the sub-forums. I don't care that some are rarely used because, as long as they are organized well, I can find exactly what I want in no time. I know that separates the group a bit, but we're a big group. Who wants to have to wade through topics you're currently not interested in? The only drawback is that you get accustomed to hanging around in certain forums, and might not even realize just how many others are out there. One thing I miss from the old format is the link to Brad's home site from the forum. The 2005 forum is my home page, but it's nice to be able to jump right to the main page and view the timeline and other pics, as well as recent news. This really is a huge and hugely useful site. Thanks for managing it for us!

Oh, also, I miss the little "top" buttons that kept you from having to scroll all the way back up through a thread. How about a "bottom" one as well?
Old 9/21/06, 08:38 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RRRoamer
Reduce the number of sub-sub forums. Maybe eleminate them completely. One performance sub forum is enough. There for a while, new sub-sub forums keep being added so fast I thought there would eventually be a sub-sub forum just for each color of car!

Same with modifications. If you just broke the modification sub forums down into a single "Performance" and a single "Appearance" sub forums, that would work well. Some of the sub-sub forums are so little used that I almost never even look at them.

Also, is there a reason that Warrantee and Service issues are forced into their own sub forum? To me, this is EXACTLY the type of material that should be in the main forum so everyone will see it.

I do understand the goal of using the sub (and sub-sub) forums. The problem is it is very easy to go too far and sub divide the forum until it is useless.
Yeah. What he said. (Hey I actually agree with someone )
Along those same lines, put all the threads that are in the "My '05" section back in the main area. That sub forum was needed once most of us had all gotten our "new" '05's and we were ready to start talking about mods... and warranty issues.

As for other ideas. PLEASE bring back the galleries.

I like the idea of of a How-To section, but if someone posts a How-To thread, leave it in the main section so people will see it on a regular basis. Maybe have a sticky that has one post that directs you to each of the How-To's.

More ideas to come. (in case no one's noticed, I'm full of opinions. )
Old 9/21/06, 09:09 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Keep em coming!
Old 9/21/06, 09:23 PM

Iknow I asked for this one time already, but it would make things SOOO musch easier, if our screen name ( in the "Welcome" box) went back to being a link to our profile.
Attached Images  
Old 9/22/06, 02:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Make so that when I make a post I don't have to hit the back button two times to get back to where I was. Bring back a gallery. Not like the other mustangforum sites. Make one that's easy to look through. Something like mustangworld.com's set up. A sticky with online vendors site's or just other good mustang sites. More smilies. Clean up the threads by combining similar posts into one sticky.
Old 9/23/06, 04:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
It ain't broke - don't fix it.
Old 9/23/06, 08:16 PM
V6 Member

I feel the same way.

If it aint broke do not try and fix it.

I think the sub-forums are helpful and time-saving. I enjoy browsing this
Mustang forum more than all the others.

LB
Old 9/24/06, 01:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Two suggestions...

1. Create a way to set up threads so that posts can be made simultaneously to both the general forum and the appropriate subforum (if any). I realize this might be a moderator's nightmare, but I think there are many like myself who don't have tons of time to spend on TMS and primarily check just the general forums. That way we wouldn't miss a possible topic of interest, and it would eventually run its course in the general forum yet still be in a subforum for those who look there. This would also avoid the moving of many threads.

2. Increase the interval before you are "timed out" when posting. I have lost a number of long posts that I have written in the past as I got timed out (due to interruptions or whatever) before I could pull the trigger on them. I usually don't bother to recompose them at that point due to lack of time or just feeling about it by then.
Old 9/25/06, 06:30 AM
Cobra Member

1. The threads from the "Photos of yours" sub-sub forum could be moved to the relevant "By Color" sections.

2. The threads from "Warranty and service issues" and "Order status and production info" could be moved to the general "2005 - 2008 Mustang" section.

3. The "Modifications" section could have only 3 sub-forums: "V6 performance", "V8 performance" and "Appearance" (the latter including interior, exterior and other mods).

Just my $0.02.
Old 9/26/06, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

3. The "Modifications" section could have only 3 sub-forums: "V6 performance", "V8 performance" and "Appearance" (the latter including interior, exterior and other mods).
That's a good idea i like that!

Also, How about a section for after market parts suggestions.
Old 9/28/06, 01:29 PM
GT Member

I agree that the warranty secton is exactly the sort of thing that should be in the general section.
Old 9/29/06, 08:06 AM
GT Member

I am not sure this will be much of a help, but here are my thoughts. For background info., I regularly only look at this forum and www.mustangforums.com - I don't get to any other mustang forums unless someone posts a link that I look at.

First, thanks - this forum has been a great source of info. for me. Here goes:

1. This may be a sub-forum issue, but what is unique here is that you are always moving threads. So what happens is that a thread starts and it gets some action, and then if it's in the wrong place, you move it. Now what happens is that the action dies because people don't get whereever it went and #2, people like me can not even find it.

I posted something looking for some a lot of feedback, and as it turned out, you moved it very quickly - maybe the same day. The thread got no action.

2. In my way of thinking, I'd change the member signature area - maybe set it up as a link to see a photo of someone's car and their car info. I know we're all car buffs, but it is annoying to read a 10 page thread that is basically 2 pages long with the remainder filled with by signature blocks.

3. The next one may simply be a lack of knowledge on my part, but how about setting up some keystroke paths.

a. The ability to move from one thread page to the next by using keystrokes; and not by moving the mouse.

b. The ability to flip from one thread to the next - again - without using the mouse.

Probably like most guys, I don't have a lot of time - I'd like to read more / maybe contribute more - but it takes too long to move around.

4. How about an automatic spell checker when you hit Preview Post.

5. Make the Reply to Thread box larger so you can see more of what you are typing. I personally think all the smiley faces are ridiculous and take way too much space.

6. And finally, you should consider some way to partner with another site. As I have said, I look at www.mustangforums.com every time I look at this site. I know a lot of other guys do to - I see links to your site there all the time.

So, maybe you can set it up for people that are members at both sites to be able to put up a thread on both sites at the same time?

In my case, the members of each site have helped me out. So on more than a couple of occasions, I've posted a thread on one site - and then copied it only to post another identical thread on the other site.

I don't think this hurts anyone, and for your advertisers - the more exposure the better. Right?

Hope this helps. Your forum has helped me and I do appreciate it.
Old 9/29/06, 08:12 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Great suggestions. Some are doable and some I just cant see happening in the near future.

Btw, you can already surf the forum (Or any site for that matter) with just the keyboard.. its just a PITA cause you have to use the TAB key to move to the next clickable field (link) and then hit hte space bar to "click" it. I dont know of any forum software or windows based software that will allow anything different other than some keyboards that have Internet Explorer hotkeys built into it.
Old 9/29/06, 08:53 AM

Just went over to mustangforums.com. Other than some of the profile options for subscriptions, etc, please don't copy anything they're doing. That's the most cluttered annoying site I've been to. TONS of stickies. There are more stickies on a single page than there are new threads. (and I couldn't find a way to adjust the # of threads per page)
The flashing icons beside each thread is distracting as well as the huge ad area on the side of the page.

Walt,
You mentioned how much you didn't like long signatures. How can you stand to read any posts at all over there? Seems to be no limit as to what and how much members put in their sigs. And if you allow pics like they do, it makes it even worse. Everything just seems jumbled. Especially the screen name area where the avatars are.
Old 9/29/06, 09:09 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

I just took a look as well Jason.. Yeah it was defintely hard to read.

Something else I dont ever plan on having on this site is intergrated ads (Like google adsense or any of the stuff like what you see on stangnet.com) That stuff annoys me to no end.

Quick Reply: Need Suggestions On Restructure