2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Need some help here guys

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/04, 05:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If after all those sales the General Manager will not bend, walk away for good, after nicely letting him and the owner know of all the future sales they will be loosing.

It's those people who receive easy money that do not care how much they pay for items they want. Any one who works for their money will not give it away period. A vehicle is just a vehicle to go from A to B and will cost you big tme the first year if you pay MSRP. The 05 GT is not going to hold any price. Bring it back on an 06 trade-in you will lose 30%.

If my salesperson does not hold to X-plan I will walk for good. If their word is no good, their vehicles are no good to me. I will buy a Chrysler 300C for $5,000 more and sell my Ford Stock too boot.

Oh yeah and I have the cash, but I will not be hooked
Old 10/2/04, 05:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
BTW, DJ, remember that to a car dealer, "cash is trash".

They really do not care how much hard green you put down. As long as they can get you financed, sell you a extended warranty (I admit I will buy one, cars are complex now), etc. they do not care about the cash. Trust me, they'll get their money! It doesn't matter to them whether it is from your pocket or the credit source. So a big down payment is no leverage with them; they don't care. It just makes things easier for you.
Old 10/2/04, 06:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Car is "HOT"
Dealers are "NOT" :bang:
Car is "BAIT"
Make sure you "WAIT" :bang:
Price will "FALL"

THEN YOU MAKE THE CALL!
Old 10/2/04, 06:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I only read the first couple posts, but as I know exactly what dealership he's dealing with I can say this.

ALL the NE Ohio Ford dealers are saying MSRP, no less. (conspiracy maybe?)

I also know what he means about not being able to afford that extra 2k or whatever... going to school full time and working near-full time at only $8/hr isn't going to allow me to make the payments I'm planning on making. ($360/month of which half is out-of-pocket, and half is out of a savings account... until I graduate from college)... I'm walking a very thin line with this car.

Lay out all the details for them. If they can't help you I'm sorry, but they should be able to meet you at a middle-ground somewhere.
Old 10/2/04, 07:02 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Enfynet@October 2, 2004, 6:56 PM

Yes, it is a vast conspiracy that a dealership will sell a brand new Mustang GT at MSRP. Oh wait, imagine that, MSRP actually stands for Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price.
Old 10/2/04, 07:06 PM

.. That "conspiracy" comment was sarcastic, sorry for any confusion.
Old 10/2/04, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Badandy+October 2, 2004, 8:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Badandy @ October 2, 2004, 8:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Enfynet@October 2, 2004, 6:56 PM

Yes, it is a vast conspiracy that a dealership will sell a brand new Mustang GT at MSRP. Oh wait, imagine that, MSRP actually stands for Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. [/b][/quote]
Quite right, good thing to remind people what MSRP is in the first place. I read above that $2000 in price difference really matters to some people.

THIS IS BAD.

If you read ANY honest car-buying article, you have to AFFORD a car when you buy it. If you are "on the line" thanks to just a $2000 difference with or w. out paying MSRP, you should be buying a used $9000 car, not a new $23,000+ Ford Mustang.

Just looking out for your best interests here. B)
Old 10/2/04, 07:17 PM

Why would I buy a $9k car now when the one I'm driving now cost me over $12k?

I just re-read my comment on the payments and realized I didn't make it quite as clear as it should have been. If there's one thing I'm good at it's knowing how to handle money. $2000 is only $40/month different, but what it would do (in my case) is take more money from my reserve account faster. I have that account so that I don't have to worry about being able to afford the car in the long run. My biggest problem is that this will be my only car and it will cost me almost $300/month in gas and insurance. So the lower I can get the price, the less stress there will be on me to work extra hours giving me more time to finish school faster to get a job so that I can afford a full monthly payment. Higher cost = more work = less school = longer until I can "afford" the car.

Don't even tell me I should wait, I've already been waiting :P
Old 10/2/04, 07:22 PM
Cobra Member

haha, ok

I am just reminding people that they think they are getting "screwed" by having to pay MSRP on a brand new high demand car. Get a grip people, let the dealer make a little money off of you.

As autothing said, if you can't afford an extra grand or so (provided you aren't over MSRP) you shouldn't be considering this car. There is nothing wrong with paying MSRP.
Old 10/2/04, 07:23 PM
Cobra Member

One more thing:

There is nothing wrong with getting it a little under MSRP, but people here make it seem like it is suicide by getting it for MSRP or something
Old 10/2/04, 07:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't understand the conflicting statement. I have saved money to put down on the car and my payments are going to be $600 per month. A 60 month loan at 4.99% with a $600. payment means you borrowed $32,000. What knid of 05 did you buy and how much did you put down?
Old 10/2/04, 07:37 PM

I think most people feel that way because of the rapid depreciation of vehicles these days. I never expected to pay close to invoice, my ideal target was $800 over invoice (or $1500 under MSRP)... but going up to $1000 under MSRP wouldn't really bother me. I just don't like the idea that a car depreciates x% the second you sign that paper.

I plan on keeping this car for a long time, so that doesn't concern me as much, but I don't think dealers should be so "strict" about prices for a mass produced car. They're going to get MSRP for from a lot of other people.

I also think that the price should reflect on the service the dealership provides you. So far my dealer has been very... uncertain about my car. But we'll see how they handle negotiations and the like and determine how much over invoice of service they provided me. I don't necessarily think it's "right" to pay a dealer MSRP if the car is on their lot less than a day and all they did was wash it and fill the tank. If they provided decent service, they'll receive a decent check. That's how it should be everywhere.
Old 10/2/04, 08:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Paris MkVI@October 2, 2004, 6:50 PM
BTW, DJ, remember that to a car dealer, "cash is trash".

They really do not care how much hard green you put down. As long as they can get you financed, sell you a extended warranty (I admit I will buy one, cars are complex now), etc. they do not care about the cash. Trust me, they'll get their money! It doesn't matter to them whether it is from your pocket or the credit source. So a big down payment is no leverage with them; they don't care. It just makes things easier for you.
Exactly. When you finance, the dealer simply gets a check for the car from the bank. Its not like they wait for the money. You can also make more money by adding percentage points(or even fractions) to a loan for themselves. Cash leaves no options for the for the dealer to make a dime other then what is on the contract. Dealers do not like cash deals typically.
Old 10/2/04, 08:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by DJ07@October 2, 2004, 1:51 PM
Ok, so I stopped in the dealer today with my Dad ready to put my downpayment down and sign a contract. When we ordered my car back in June, we were promised our "usual' deal with this place, or $500 over invoice. Today is was a completely different story. They said I had to pay sticker price, no dealing at all. So basically I'm stuck. I either pay sticker price or not get my car. (Which he said will be in within two weeks!)

The thing is, I know a lot of you have gotten $500 over invoice. And this dealer is getting 3 GTs for the first allocation because they sold the most 2003 Mustangs in Ohio. One is mine. But they say since the allocation is so small, they're sorry but $500 over invoice is not possible. He said no dealer would give that to us, period.

So here's were all you guys come in:

If you could, leave your name, dealer's name, dealership name, location, phone numbers, as specific as possible, down to VINs and final prices if you will. (Or if you don't want to give out personal info, then jsut where you got your Mustang from) The more people I get showing they got it for $500 over invoice or less the better. I just want to prove to him others are doing it.

I know its only a difference of about $2000 on my car in particular, but I'm 17, and $2000 means 3 months of work for me. So, if you could, compile all that info in this thread and I'll print it out and show them Monday.

And he doesn't know who he's messing with. I have a lot of inner teenage rage thats built up inside me the past year and I'll let it all out when I go. I don't understand what they're problem is. My dad has bought 16 cars fom this place since 1979 and they lie to us now and treat us like poo? That's shady, very shady.

All these dealers are gonna make a boatload on these cars once production is caught up, so whats the big deal?

Good news is, he said I'll have the first shipment and I'll be driving one of the first in Ohio, which made me feel good.

Alright, thanks for any help!
Now who has said this, the salesman or the GM? You should go back WITH your dad and try to negotiate with him personally. Getting mad will get you nowhere. You may want to consider a comprimise with the GM and maybe offer 750 over invoice(but NO more at that point).

I would also stress any prior business you have had with the dealer, be it sales and/or service. I would let the GM know that "it would be a shame to loose a good business relationship with the dealer over only a few hundred lousy dollars, especially with a new potential life-long customer just starting with the dealer. It would also be a shame that there is now this misunderstanding that I thought your WORD would be good enough to go on and I took it in good faith in lieu of having to make a cold hard contract- especially now that I have commited to bring MY business directly to you for a product you did not even have to offer at the time and stayed true to MY word that I would purchase a vehicle ONLY from YOU without shopping down the street." Something allong those lines. Be smooooooooth about it, you'll get much further.
Old 10/2/04, 08:25 PM
Cobra Member

Ford's vehicle sales and market share are falling fast, the dealers would be wise to make whatever deals that are reasonable just to continue to move them out of the factory and off their lots.

Dealers did nothing to come up with the Mustang, if anyone deserves to make a little extra money it should be Ford Motor and the people working for them that disigned and built the car. They are not asking more. What did the dealer or salesperson do but write up a sale? Dud, for that someone should pay extra money, I think not.

One in four vehicles sold are paid for cash, they still take it.

As for high demand, in just the USA and Canada there are around 200,000,000 of car buying age divided by the 200,000 interested hits that is 1 in 1,000.... by the so called 25,000 orders that is 1 in 8,000 willing to take a chance on the new vehicle.

And they still have 175,000 more for 05 alone.
Old 10/2/04, 08:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Badsnke98@October 2, 2004, 9:28 PM
Ford's vehicle sales and market share are falling fast, the dealers would be wise to make whatever deals that are reasonable just to continue to move them out of the factory and off their lots.

Dealers did nothing to come up with the Mustang, if anyone deserves to make a little extra money it should be Ford Motor and the people working for them that disigned and built the car. They are not asking more. What did the dealer or salesperson do but write up a sale? Dud, for that someone should pay extra money, I think not.

One in four vehicles sold are paid for cash, they still take it.

As for high demand, in just the USA and Canada there are around 200,000,000 of car buying age divided by the 200,000 interested hits that is 1 in 1,000.... by the so called 25,000 orders that is 1 in 8,000 willing to take a chance on the new vehicle.

And they still have 175,000 more for 05 alone.
I wouldnt say that, we have never been busier and still havent even started with the 'new stuff' yet. Ford makes exactly what it wants to make on every single vehicle that ever gets registered by an owner. Dealers also take a beating on many many purchases for varing reasons. When a product this hot comes out, if you owned a dealership yourself you would NEVER just 'give them away'. You would never take the deals we do every day if you were the owner, believe me. Its just dumb to bash a dealer. So you are saying that it is good business practice to not make money? That would be about the same as you taking your exact cost of living per month and telling your boss to adjust your pay to match that exactly, no more please. What would you say if I offered you $4000 below what KBB says your car is worth wholesale right now? would you take the deal? I can pay you $3400 cash right now! A customer asking me for an invoice deal on an 05 mustang is about exactly as exciting to me as that offer is to you.
Old 10/2/04, 09:03 PM

Why do dealers get away with trade in values way below the "market value" of a car? Those are a couple extra dollars that could help me afford paying "market value"... fair right?
Old 10/2/04, 09:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think it's because they take a car that may not sell ASAP and they've got to hold it, advertise it, etc. Usually, the move used cars that are more than 3-4 years old straight to the auction lots where not much money is made. Like a cycle of lost money, so they won't give you much.
Old 10/2/04, 09:15 PM
Cobra Member

Because people just accept the prices that they get with the trade-ins.

Crazy really. Smart dealers.
Old 10/2/04, 09:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@October 2, 2004, 10:32 PM
I wouldnt say that, we have never been busier and still havent even started with the 'new stuff' yet. Ford makes exactly what it wants to make on every single vehicle that ever gets registered by an owner. Dealers also take a beating on many many purchases for varing reasons. When a product this hot comes out, if you owned a dealership yourself you would NEVER just 'give them away'. You would never take the deals we do every day if you were the owner, believe me. Its just dumb to bash a dealer. So you are saying that it is good business practice to not make money? That would be about the same as you taking your exact cost of living per month and telling your boss to adjust your pay to match that exactly, no more please. What would you say if I offered you $4000 below what KBB says your car is worth wholesale right now? would you take the deal? I can pay you $3400 cash right now! A customer asking me for an invoice deal on an 05 mustang is about exactly as exciting to me as that offer is to you.
Maybe busy in your region, not so here in Michigan, traffic is down big time across the area, all manufactures included.

I did say any reasonable offers, made no refference to invoice. Making a few hundred extra over the average vehicle sale is one thing. A few thousand is not. No one is going to give any of us extra $,$$$ just for the heck of it. Most workers here do not even keep up with cost of living for years now here, that would be a raise. Plus now co-paying for Medical.

I have traded in one vehicle in my 32 years of dealing, that was because the engine was going, an 84 5.0. It was a wash, the saleman didn't care I was upfront about the motor. I do not trash my vehicles and they are low miles. Only one other time one Salesman offered close to fair on my trade-in with A-plan. The service writeup took it for same price for his wife.

Look only to the T-Birds, sitting on lots, production down 40% for 04. I would have purchased one in 01, if not for 5,000 extra. What will you trade one in for on an 05 40% of MSRP. It's not on KBB.

I'm not bashing anyone. Its just you against them just like the IRS. They would like my money and I do not plan on giving anything extra.

If the shoe was on the other foot, peace.

Quick Reply: Need some help here guys